5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Teases A Fall Debut For Its Ram 1500 BEV Concept!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ram Teases A Fall Debut For Its Ram 1500 BEV Concept!​

Should Make Debut At This Year's North American International Auto Show In Detroit...​

1651093140123.png

There continues to be a lot of questions, concerns, and interest for the upcoming 2024 Ram 1500 BEV (Battery-Electric Vehicle). As the automotive industry conforms to its biggest change ever, what seemed like it could take decades to achieve is being thrust into action by the end of the decade.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may put a deposit down just for the sake of being in line. I'd like an f150 lightning. I've been looking at merging my truck and my commuter. Driving 30-35k miles a yr between the two puts a hurting on my wallet. Can't decide if I'd rather have my current truck and a hybrid accord for example or an EV truck.

therapy

Reaction score
If you don't tow or drive crazy long distances these things are going to be the default in 10 years. The technology is just getting there now. But it'll be no problem at all to guy buy a base level EV truck with 500mi range and 400hp/500tq pretty much all day long by 2030.

Economics of scale are just kicking in.

Invest in battery recycling companies. Send your kids to electrician trade schools and apprenticeships. Invest in solar installation companies and the tech.
The fastest way to get the "grid" to power these things is to not have them hit the grid at all. Solar-powered superchargers on every shopping center, apartment complex, restaurant...
Improving the power grid is going to take decades and cost trillions. Improving it locally takes a fraction of that.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My commute is about 140 miles a day, and I work 6 days a week on most weeks. Between my commute and other driving, I put 400,000 on my 2014 Ram in 6 years before I "retired" it from daily use. I refuse to put myself into a tiny commuter car to save money on fuel while sacrificing my safety and most of all - comfort. I do not tow. I just drive a lot of miles. So towing range does not mean a thing to me. I am concerned about having plenty of regular driving range so there is a cushion to deal with the reduction of range based on temperature (both cold and hot), the degrading battery range over time, and to give me additional driving range for more than just the commute. I reserved a spot for the ford F-150 on the first day it went live. I received an email back in early April that said I would not be getting one in 2022. I also reserved a Chevy Silverado. They will only be built one way when they come out and they will list for $105,000. I also reserved a Rivian but gave up my spot when I finally saw one in person. It was more of a Honda Ridgeline than a full-sized pickup. I was very happy to see that Stalantis finally decided to introduce an electric Ram 1500. I don't know what it looks like yet, but I am sure I will like it better than the Chevy or the Ford - as long as it is not introduced as a midsize pickup. If they keep it the size of the current 1500 and it has a legitimate, real-life range of 400 miles - they can empty my wallet and give me one.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They can keep it. Good Job on the article though!

therapy

Reaction score
There are a lot of people who are in your exact shoes. Pickup trucks and full-size SUVs are hugely popular and the vast majority (I've seen estimates over 90% in some reports) of people never tow anything or haul more than once a month. People love them because they're comfortable and have great road visibility. There's a reason crossovers replaced cars for the most part, that the station wagon got replaced by the minivan and then the SUV.

A lot of loud, obnoxious people are pointing out these articles that show that today's EV trucks can't tow or haul the way a gas truck can. Well, duh. That's not what most people use their trucks for.

Make no mistake. EVs today are not ready to replace ICE cars. But they will be.

It might take 10 years. It might take 20. But the product is better. Free market will speak. They'll have better efficiency, better power, better acceleration, and more storage space. They'll be equivalently priced if not cheaper. They'll be more reliable and require less maintenance. They have less moving parts.

Anybody who is saying "today they're not ready, so they'll never be ready" is fooling themselves. The large #s of people daily driving Teslas have proven that it's a viable use case. Now we just need to fix the rest of the problems (range, charge times, cost, availability, etc).

And for anybody wondering about using coal to charge your EV. Even if every single car on the planet were an EV and every single kilowatt of power provided to an EV were from a "dirty" source like coal, it'd be cleaner than the current automotive landscape.

Our grandkids will likely never drive gas cars. Hell, some of them may never even ride in one or see one operate. And that's fine. Most of my generation never rode in a horse and buggy unless it were recreational.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't tow or drive crazy long distances these things are going to be the default in 10 years. The technology is just getting there now. But it'll be no problem at all to guy buy a base level EV truck with 500mi range and 400hp/500tq pretty much all day long by 2030.

Economics of scale are just kicking in.

Invest in battery recycling companies. Send your kids to electrician trade schools and apprenticeships. Invest in solar installation companies and the tech.
The fastest way to get the "grid" to power these things is to not have them hit the grid at all. Solar-powered superchargers on every shopping center, apartment complex, restaurant...
Improving the power grid is going to take decades and cost trillions. Improving it locally takes a fraction of that.

As an industrial electrician I support your message. We're dying for new hires! I'm fortunate to have landed in this field and have almost 10 yrs of experience now at 31. It's wild how little interest it garners from the general populous.

I may have already said this but between my two vehicles I drive 30,000-35,000 miles a yr. While I'm interested in combining them with an EV - I'd really need to know how long the batteries hold up. It's cheaper from my calculations to buy two vehicles and split the mileage for 10-12 yrs vs replacing a truck every 6-7 yrs.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an industrial electrician I support your message. We're dying for new hires! I'm fortunate to have landed in this field and have almost 10 yrs of experience now at 31. It's wild how little interest it garners from the general populous.

I may have already said this but between my two vehicles I drive 30,000-35,000 miles a yr. While I'm interested in combining them with an EV - I'd really need to know how long the batteries hold up. It's cheaper from my calculations to buy two vehicles and split the mileage for 10-12 yrs vs replacing a truck every 6-7 yrs.
**** tell me more. I am dying to get the hell out of the auto industry. Being a dealer tech is getting worse by the year. Hard finding something else to walk into and make somewhat of the same pay, if not take a slight loss.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
**** tell me more. I am dying to get the hell out of the auto industry. Being a dealer tech is getting worse by the year. Hard finding something else to walk into and make somewhat of the same pay, if not take a slight loss.
Hit up a local trade school or your local IBEW union hall. After a few years of learning and experience a yearly pay rate of $70,000 - 120,000 is very obtainable.

Jake103

Reaction score
I'm glad I got out . I went to tech school for automotive, then after worked on cars for 8 years. I work for a utilities company now and make much more than I did as a tech. Way more opprutunity to advance as well. The automotive trade just doesn't pay anymore. That's why I only worked in a dealer for 2 years got sick of it real quick. All the drama and flat rate BS. After I jumped around to a few independent shops. Than I finally had an opportunity at a utility company a deal I couldn't pass it up. I made more when I started than any other tech I knew of. Even the 25+year techs didn't make as much that was independent shops anyway. The best decision I made. I hope you can find an opportunity as I did. The auto industry just isn't worth the pay anymore, especially the never ending tool payments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online