5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolta

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I'm building a custom PC and I can't decided whether I need 8 GB of RAM or 16 GB. I'm currently on a laptop with 4 GB of RAM and I've never done any photo or video editing on it. But I'm planning of getting hooked with video-editing software and game development. So my new PC won't be for gaming alone.

1. So do I really need 16 GB RAM or will 8 GB suffice?

2. If 8 GB, then do I get 2x4GB or 1x8GB? If 16 GB, then 4x4GB or 2x8GB?

3. Which RAM (8GB and 16GB) is the best for the price (around $60 or $120)?

4. Is 1866MHz really an advantage over 1600MHz and is it worth the extra dollars?

5. Finally, I've seen that Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz is only $5 more expensive than the Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM. Why is it so?

6. Another thing I noticed is that this Corsair Vengenace Pro is 1600MHz but it is more expensive than the Pro 1866MHz version. How's that possible?

Please try to answer each question separately. Thanks.
Related Information: https://pc4u.org/ram/

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the most part, the days of building PCs are behind us—especially the idea of building a PC with the intent to upgrade it later on. I'm not saying that it isn't done, but it's very rare these days to buy your own chassis and build a DIY machine.

With that in mind, and with many years of CAD/BIM and computer graphics experience behind me, here are my responses:
  1. You will want as much RAM as you can afford if you pursue video editing. If I were buying a machine for that purpose, I'd be equipping it with 32-64 GB of RAM.
  2. Memory chipset configuration really doesn't matter, unless you are sticking to a budget and know (for sure) that you'll be buying more RAM later. In that case, you'll want to buy fewer (i.e. larger) DIMMs in order to keep some memory slots open on your board.
  3. I'm not sure it matters, presuming enough slots are available (see response 2 above).
  4. Faster RAM is better if the speed of the motherboard and CPU can take advantage of it.
  5. No idea.
  6. No idea.
Also, you didn't mention anything about your processor or graphics card, but these are also critical components to ensure performance when doing video editing.

Good luck!

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interested in more RAM? Plenty here run lots of Ram.

Go with 16GB configuration.
Ram is a good value. I prefer the Limited Ram 4WD setup. Without knowing the specs on the unit, it's impossible to know if a higher speed Ram will help or not. The SRT Ram isn't available yet.

I hear you can save money on RAM by joining an affiliate buyers group.

I'll leave the details to others.

Good luck.

:p

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Kolta. Did you realize you posted a computer hardware question in a Dodge Ram Truck forum?

At any rate, I'll answer your questions:

1. Always get as much RAM as you can afford. I wouldn't purchase a computer with less than 16GB of RAM. The amount of RAM you need is determined by the type of software and tasks you will be completing. 8GB of RAM is the MINIMUM amount of RAM you'll want.
  2. The RAM configuration strategy would be determined by the number of RAM slots on your motherboard and any future upgrades you might want to do. If you're going to go with 16GB of RAM and you have 4 memory slots, I'd get two 8GB sticks.
  3. Not going to touch this one. I just recommend purchasing RAM from a reputable vendor.
  4. The MHz you need will be determined by the motherboard/CPU combo. In general, faster is always better, but it still has to be compatible with your motherboard/CPU.
  5. Do some research on this.
  6. Supply & demand....

Neocane

Reaction score
Possible internet troll, or just completely missed the fact that he was asking a computer question on a Ram TRUCK forum, lol!

That said, if you are truly asking a computer question, as said previously buy as much ram as you can afford (depending on your motherboards capabilities), and pick up the fastest gpu you can afford. I use mine for CAD applications as well as photo editing and some gaming even on occasion. Pretty much want the fastest cpu you can afford as well, possibly a 6 core. Pretty much your entire build will depend first on your cpu choice, be it AMD or Intel, then choose your motherboard depending on cpu socket requirement. Do your research.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible internet troll, or just completely missed the fact that he was asking a computer question on a Ram TRUCK forum, lol!

That said, if you are truly asking a computer question, as said previously buy as much ram as you can afford (depending on your motherboards capabilities), and pick up the fastest gpu you can afford. I use mine for CAD applications as well as photo editing and some gaming even on occasion. Pretty much want the fastest cpu you can afford as well, possibly a 6 core. Pretty much your entire build will depend first on your cpu choice, be it AMD or Intel, then choose your motherboard depending on cpu socket requirement. Do your research.

Honestly I was going to delete the thread thinking the same thing, but the responses make it worth keeping lol.

TimG

Reaction score
Honestly, I see this all the time. A lot of folks I work with are super smart, but wear Velcro shoes because they cant tie laces. Chalk it up to the digital age where situational awareness and self reliance is secondary to technology.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to build my own PCs. Builder parts can make customization nearly infinite, but the parts tend to be more expensive. My last desktops were purchased (HP) and were less expensive than if I wanted to build them myself.

As mentioned above, Motherboard and CPU will define which RAM speeds can be supported. Faster is better than slower (so are lower latency timings), but consider price/performance when making your decision.

Filling the memory channels with matched DIMMs will give the best performance, although most users probably wouldn't notice. I'd avoid going with a single DIMM and at least go with a pair to be able to run the system in Dual Channel Mode. Desktops usually have 4 RAM slots, so I'd probably go with a 2x8GB configuration and if I decided I needed more later, take it to a 4x8GB config. Very few users/applications will take advantage of more than 32GB.

If you get the RAM from a reputable vendor with a solid warranty, you should be good. May be a good idea to check the motherboard manufacturer as they typically will certify compatibility with multiple vendors' specific parts.

Historically, the slowest part in a computer was the storage. Going SSD would be a good idea, particularly if you're working with large video files.

ETA: I'm a geek, but I can also tie my own shoes. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread