5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram e-torque mpg

YardSale

Reaction score
If that's even close to correct I'm thrilled! My freak'in Wrangler only gets about 17 mpg on the Hwy.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
If that's even close to correct I'm thrilled! My freak'in Wrangler only gets about 17 mpg on the Hwy.
Waiting on my Limited e-torque. Just sold my 16 LTZ w/ 6.2, leaves me with my old 97 Z71 w/ 5.7 that #3 misfires constantly. Lol, bet I am getting less than 5 mpg. Plan on a rebuild w/ some modifications for off-roading after my Limited gets here.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully! What did footnote 5 say in the fine print? My 2019 brochure didn’t have mpg ratings in it.

YardSale

Reaction score
Waiting on my Limited e-torque. Just sold my 16 LTZ w/ 6.2, leaves me with my old 97 Z71 w/ 5.7 that #3 misfires constantly. Lol, bet I am getting less than 5 mpg. Plan on a rebuild w/ some modifications for off-roading after my Limited gets here.
I actually got better Hwy mileage on my Challenger SRT than I do on the Wrangler. While I really enjoy my Jeep I'll be glad to trade it in when my Limited shows up!

Mohab

Reaction score
So it is just 1 mpg extra for the etourq !
My 2016 limited is not getting more than 15 mpg combined and waiting for real etourq experience mpg before upgrade

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E-torque and any other hybrid tech have no benefits under continuous highway operation. On the highway, the electric motor acts as a generator...just like any alternator does.

The benefit is in stop and go traffic or up and down hills. The electric motor acts as a generator and applies braking force during deceleration or descent. The energy normally burned off as heat in the brakes instead is captured in a 48v battery. During the next acceleration or ascent, the same energy is reapplied through the electric motor to the large serpentine belt which adds torque to the engine crankshaft. This preserves the energy instead of wasting it through braking heat. The added benefit of 130 extra ft-lb of torque at low RPM also allows the engine to run in cylinder deactivation mode more often...saving fuel. It also should assist with a quicker holeshot.

I suspect the highway mpg should be nearly identical between e-torque and the regular Hemi unless the test cycle includes Decel/Accel or hills.

That's all theory until my E-torque equipped Limited arrives.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the combine is 19
Right - combined 4WD is 2 mpg different (15/21/17 vs. 17/22/19), as is combined 2WD (15/22/17 vs. 17/23/19). The same is true for city efficiency. However, the difference is only 1 mpg on the highway, so eTorque might not be worth it if you spend 90% of your time cruising the freeway unloaded.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be happy with the regular hemi fuel economy. It's better than I get with the F150 ecoboost. Anything better will be a plus. I'm buying the e-Torque for the additional torque not for better economy.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been doing some calculations but don't have all the specs. It appears that the E-torque has enough stored energy to provide a toque boost for around 2 minutes. We have no rating on the electrical motor so I'm making some assumptions based on estimated motor weight as to how stout it is. Servo motors are around 4.5kg per killowat of power produced. A 70 lb servo motor would make around 10-12 hp peak.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing some calculations but don't have all the specs. It appears that the E-torque has enough stored energy to provide a toque boost for around 2 minutes. We have no rating on the electrical motor so I'm making some assumptions based on estimated motor weight as to how stout it is. Servo motors are around 4.5kg per killowat of power produced. A 70 lb servo motor would make around 10-12 hp peak.
I'm curious to see the aftermarket begin exploring the potential output of a modified MGU motor. A higher-output motor would be an easy bolt-on, but the computer programming may be affected, and there will be an upper limit (i.e. slippage, bearing stress) to the additional force that may be transmitted to the crankshaft via belt drive.

Then there's the idea of adding forced induction to an eTorque-equipped engine. Ram's head of engineering (in the podcast video shared on this forum) was asked about that, and it was obvious that he is interested in exploring the synergies between eTorque and other modifications. With unlimited time and resources, I would love to build a mildly-twincharged eTorque Hemi...eTorque would supply the extreme low end torque, turbocharging would pick up from there, and supercharging would blow out the top end.

Now back to my real job...

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2.jpg

FCA has already started in that direction.

We got ultra powerful muscle cars, refined trucks, off road beasts, luxury, and we are leading into a better future.

Awesome times to be a Mopar fan

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 1283

FCA has already started in that direction.

We got ultra powerful muscle cars, refined trucks, off road beasts, luxury, and we are leading into a better future.

Awesome times to be a Mopar fan
I'd be driving a Tesla pickup if it were for sale, but it looks like a long wait for a mainstream electric truck. I'm very aware of the Workhorse (still a plug-in hybrid), the GM-based Via Motors pickup, and even the Bison, but I'm not a guinea pig.

That said, I'd be all over the Bollinger B1 if I had the money to burn :)

Users who are viewing this thread