5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM dealer I am so pissed off with - can you believe how lazy some salespeople are ?

4sallypat

Reaction score
So here's my rant on a search for a Rebel and I apologize if this is a bit long.....

Yesterday, after hearing from a fellow 5th Gen forum member who picked up a Ram truck and gave me a salesperson referral, I make contact with the sales person.
This Ram dealership is in Costa Mesa, CA (next county over) because they were the only ones that had 35 new gen 2019 Ram Rebels instock.
Compared to other dealers close by, since they had so much inventory, I figured they were worth the drive.

OH NO !

So I call Max B. and introduce myself and tell him that I was referred by a forum member.

1st red flag - Max did not care about the referral or his deal - he just wanted to sell me a truck. Max was offended when I told him that of the 35 Ram Rebels in stock that I could not pick one.

So he asks some sales questions and I give him the answers all time saying that they have the most selection and if I can't find one, I am out of luck.
I offered to send him a PDF build sheet from the Ram website so that he can look for an incoming or on the factory line Rebel that met my needs.
I email him my build sheet and he calls back and starts to ask questions on package options and such.

2nd red flag - Max arrogantly and condescendingly states that a 3.6L engine (base) can not be had on a Rebel and never will be. That was a lie - there were a few Rebels popping up in San Diego and Lake Elsinore using the Ram truck locator. I could tell Max wanted me to just take a V8 truck off their lot and forgo looking for a 3.6L engine. I felt that Max was lazy and didn't want to pick up his fingers to locate an incoming or find a factory order D1 or KZ status.

3rd red flag - Max says why get a V6 engine when a REAL MAN drives a V8 Hemi. I try to explain that I am not going to haul, not going to tow, and need the truck as a daily driver. He didn't get that I wanted an economical truck for commuting. Max tells me that the Hemi is the only engine to get and that paying $2600 for the privilege of driving an eTorque Hemi is what they sell.

BTW: Max making that sexist remark (a REAL MAN) is unheard of these days unless he was raised in a trailer trash town.....

4th red flag - Max would not tell me lease numbers on a Rebel when we started to talk about numbers. He just said he has no idea about residuals and money factors. Huge mistake - all salespeople are taught to give out base numbers when a customers asks - how do they close a customer ???

5th red flag - Max laughs at me when I try to change over to a Big Horn trim with a 3.6L engine and says that a special order will take 6-8 weeks. That was a lie - there were tons of dealers receiving Big Horns with base 3.6L engines. As a matter of fact I just test drove a stripped down Big Horn at an Anaheim dealer 2 weeks prior.

6th red flag - When asked about special ordering, Max immediately changed his superior attitude to that of berating and condescending attitude. Max did not want to do a special order because it means he would have to work. I could tell Max wanted to sell a truck to me now - not in 6-8 weeks for a special order.

How a car dealership survives without having some of their sales on a custom order is beyond me.
I got the impression that as soon as I said none of the Rebels on the lot was what I was looking for he changed his tune and lost his customer service skills.
It was best that we were on the phone because if this happened on the lot, I would have become physical....

As a result, I will obviously not be doing business with this dealer and hope you don't have experience what I went thru.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 5.58.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 5.58.45 AM.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 77

Old Ray

Reaction score
Pat, automotive vehicle sales, by design of the manufactures, are a negotiated (confrontation) one that is motivated by self interest (greed). I was reading a article somewhere about car dealers/salesman and the author said that they are only concerned or interested in making a immediate sale. I buy a lot of vehicles (intervention required) and dealerships operate by crises of the moment management, with never any foresight to preventing the predicament.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Had a similar experience with my salesperson who informed me that he typically spends less than 2 hours on a deal and it was taking too much time. I informed him that I would go somewhere else and that I would just place a review of his actions at that dealer online. Let me tell you that his sales manager and he had a HUGE change of attitude and they went to pick up my truck (dealer trade) the next day. They want to sell what is on the lot and as a consumer it is imperative to only accept what you want and not settle. Wish you luck on your continued search.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think "lazy" is accurate, since a sale is a sale. Younger salespeople have modern short attention spans and want instant gratification on the sale. Back 20 years ago, you and your salesman potentially became friends, the sales experience was that intimate.

Max is a product of the disposable car generation that doesn't hold on to anything for more than 2-4 years... phones, houses and wives. So why would he invest any time or effort in your buying experience.

Unacceptable.

Find a dealer that will invest in your buying experience and special order that dream Rebel you want.

BGRAM

Reaction score
If it isn't too much of a hassle, go check out Ram of the West in Lancaster. It is a dedicated Ram Truck dealer so I'm sure the have a decent amount of inventory and if they don't have what you want, I bet they will order it for you too!

Image grab from google---

1542300647629.png

wthomps79

Reaction score
Yep, dealers are getting extremely lazy.

When I bought my truck I called around to about 8 different dealers and each phone call I told them what I wanted and they said they'd look for the truck and get back to me. Only 3 even called back. One was a store manager that his dad used to own a dealership in my home town. I actually chased him to give him a better shot at the deal and in the end never did get a solid price on what I would pay for the truck I was ordering.

When I did finally order my truck the kid salesman that I was dealing with (internet sales mgr) went over the order with me line by line on every option. Between the order date and arrival date he quit or got fired. When I pull up first thing I notice is it has the wrong wheels. I start looking more in depth and it doesn't have the rear under seat storage option. The kid didn't mark them down as we went over the order. The salesman I was dealing with basically said "We can order you a new truck or we can just put this on the lot" followed by "I don't even know how we'd get you the right wheels". He was too dumb to figure out to order them out of parts. When I told him to check he came back freaking out that it would cost over $2000 for new wheels. In the end they didn't even take a penny off the truck and I didn't get what I wanted. All they offered was to sell me the wheels I wanted at their cost. I decided to take the truck against my better judgement, but while I was at the salesmans desk I pulled off their dealer logo'd key rings and tossed them on his desk and said I didn't need anything with their name on it. In the end its a nice truck and is 99.9% what I wanted, but it really irked me and still does. I need to find the that dealer survey and fill that out.

Mike67

Reaction score
Unfortunarely, I seem to be having an issue with my dealer as well. The sales person couldn't be bothered to contact me to let me know when etorque was available. I asked him to contact me once a week and instead of adding a calendar reminder, they said "if i do to get back to you remind me".
I asked to have a new invoice and item added that was missed in my original order, they told me to talk to their sales manager and get the info from him.
They dont even have PCs on their desks to look up anything or do builds or see what they have in inventory, they have to go to a table with a set of 3 PCs.
When putting the order together only the sales manager could do it on the PC as the salesman lacked that knowledge and when the manager was out, he didnt use a different one and told me to contact him back when they were in.
I am still using them as they are local and matched the price i was looking for, but they arent as responsive as i would like.

I get that they really want to sell what is on the lot now and get a sale now, but still disappointing.

4sallypat

Reaction score
If it isn't too much of a hassle, go check out Ram of the West in Lancaster. It is a dedicated Ram Truck dealer so I'm sure the have a decent amount of inventory and if they don't have what you want, I bet they will order it for you too!

Image grab from google---

View attachment 8275

Thanks for the referral - it's about an hour drive away and yes they do have a large RAM truck selection.
I just pinged them and hope they will be better to deal with.

RenoRam

Reaction score
Thanks for the referral - it's about an hour drive away and yes they do have a large RAM truck selection.
I just pinged them and hope they will be better to deal with.
I had good luck at Huntington Beach when I bought my 14 Ram. They have a good selection as well.

Agitated

Reaction score
If you are letting a salesperson control your emotions then you are doing it wrong. Don't let them control anything. If there's a truck there you like, then drive there and talk to another salesman and get what you want. Then tell the other guy he's a butt muncher and enjoy your life in your new truck!

RenoRam

Reaction score
If you are letting a salesperson control your emotions then you are doing it wrong. Don't let them control anything. If there's a truck there you like, then drive there and talk to another salesman and get what you want. Then tell the other guy he's a butt muncher and enjoy your life in your new truck!
Lol,!! Couldn't agree more.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had some contact emails out to several dealers and about 60% got back to me. Most of them just invited me to stop by. 2 of them gave me very basic and high pricing and asked when I’d like to come in.

They want you on their lots. It’s worth going so you can see what else is out there that the internet can’t provide, especially with styling choices and of course to obtain an aggressive price.

4sallypat

Reaction score

I like this ^^^

Tjd

Reaction score
The dealership business model is such an outdated process. There is no way it can survive. Hopefully heading the way of taxis and video rental stores. I think the future is likely going to be similar to Hyundai's model for their Genesis line. Up front web based final pricing which includes service, no dealer nonsense, delivery directly to your door, and pickup/ drop off at your home for service. I'm hoping anyway.

Last edited:
S

Smashy71

So here's my rant on a search for a Rebel and I apologize if this is a bit long.....

Yesterday, after hearing from a fellow 5th Gen forum member who picked up a Ram truck and gave me a salesperson referral, I make contact with the sales person.
This Ram dealership is in Costa Mesa, CA (next county over) because they were the only ones that had 35 new gen 2019 Ram Rebels instock.
Compared to other dealers close by, since they had so much inventory, I figured they were worth the drive.

OH NO !

So I call Max B. and introduce myself and tell him that I was referred by a forum member.

1st red flag - Max did not care about the referral or his deal - he just wanted to sell me a truck. Max was offended when I told him that of the 35 Ram Rebels in stock that I could not pick one.

So he asks some sales questions and I give him the answers all time saying that they have the most selection and if I can't find one, I am out of luck.
I offered to send him a PDF build sheet from the Ram website so that he can look for an incoming or on the factory line Rebel that met my needs.
I email him my build sheet and he calls back and starts to ask questions on package options and such.

2nd red flag - Max arrogantly and condescendingly states that a 3.6L engine (base) can not be had on a Rebel and never will be. That was a lie - there were a few Rebels popping up in San Diego and Lake Elsinore using the Ram truck locator. I could tell Max wanted me to just take a V8 truck off their lot and forgo looking for a 3.6L engine. I felt that Max was lazy and didn't want to pick up his fingers to locate an incoming or find a factory order D1 or KZ status.

3rd red flag - Max says why get a V6 engine when a REAL MAN drives a V8 Hemi. I try to explain that I am not going to haul, not going to tow, and need the truck as a daily driver. He didn't get that I wanted an economical truck for commuting. Max tells me that the Hemi is the only engine to get and that paying $2600 for the privilege of driving an eTorque Hemi is what they sell.

BTW: Max making that sexist remark (a REAL MAN) is unheard of these days unless he was raised in a trailer trash town.....

4th red flag - Max would not tell me lease numbers on a Rebel when we started to talk about numbers. He just said he has no idea about residuals and money factors. Huge mistake - all salespeople are taught to give out base numbers when a customers asks - how do they close a customer ???

5th red flag - Max laughs at me when I try to change over to a Big Horn trim with a 3.6L engine and says that a special order will take 6-8 weeks. That was a lie - there were tons of dealers receiving Big Horns with base 3.6L engines. As a matter of fact I just test drove a stripped down Big Horn at an Anaheim dealer 2 weeks prior.

6th red flag - When asked about special ordering, Max immediately changed his superior attitude to that of berating and condescending attitude. Max did not want to do a special order because it means he would have to work. I could tell Max wanted to sell a truck to me now - not in 6-8 weeks for a special order.

How a car dealership survives without having some of their sales on a custom order is beyond me.
I got the impression that as soon as I said none of the Rebels on the lot was what I was looking for he changed his tune and lost his customer service skills.
It was best that we were on the phone because if this happened on the lot, I would have become physical....

As a result, I will obviously not be doing business with this dealer and hope you don't have experience what I went thru.

I feel your pain. After hitting all the bigger stealerships and them trying to get me to settle with what they had I went to a locally owned and ordered exactly what I wanted and it was delivered 6 weeks later. Msrp 57,205 paid out the door 48,800. Rebel crew.

4sallypat

Reaction score
The dealership business model is such an outdated process. There is no way it can survive. Hopefully heading the way of taxis and video rental stores. I think the future is likely going to be similar to Hyundai's model for their Genesis line. Up front web based final pricing which includes service, no dealer nonsense, delivery directly to your door, and pickup/ drop off at your home for service. I'm hoping anyway.

So correct!

Just like the used car market, ordering online using Carvana or Vroom is the future.

Right to inspect, refuse, and a no cost cancellation is such a new concept.

Users who are viewing this thread