5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Box regrets?

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
In 2013 I had a Ram with Ram boxes. I ultimately sold the truck because I wanted to put a camper top to transport my large dog and have the option of carrying larger objects out of the elements. As I begin this road again, I find myself wanting the Ram Boxes again because of how convenient they are, etc. I also historically carry much other than mountain bikes, road bikes, etc. I also have a trailer if needed. What I'm wondering is if I'm going to pay for my short term memory loss and regret getting the Ram Boxes. Has anyone else purchased Ram Boxes in the past or currently and wish they had not? Or if you have them would you never not get them again?

cjmst23

Reaction score
I absolutely love the RamBox. It's a large part of my initial choice of Ram 7 years ago. I've never needed more bed space. Still lay a 4x8 sheet flat.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My first truck, and I'm very glad I got the RAM box. Very happy with them thus far

molonlabe

Reaction score
I have a 2013 1500 Longhorn with the Rambox. It was one of the major reasons I switched to Ram. After having them for the last five years, I can't see myself getting another pickup without them or something similar. Mine have been operationally flawless with no leaks, gaps, or lock malfunctions. The problem I had that's not limited to me is that the plastic top has badly faded in the sun while the rest of the truck bed's upper plastic decking hasn't. The top of my Rambox now looks like crap. It hasn't bugged me enough to do something about it yet but I could see how it would to most people. I'm sure that issue has been resolved by now. The only other complaint I have about them is that the cost of Rambox accessories is ridiculous. The dividers should come standard too.

I've been surprised that the competition hasn't really tried to keep up with this feature. I suppose the take rate is not high enough or Ford and Chevy would be jumping in too.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Chevy has a version of it on their 2019 silverado. It sits inside the bed so if you have a tonneau cover you'll need to open it first to access the nox.... Total miss. Check out these jokers... Screenshot_20181111-211540.png

molonlabe

Reaction score
Wow, I hadn't seen that. You would think that they invented that before the Rambox and then the Rambox improved on the concept. That would only be useful for storing things you rarely need.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Yep, they are pointing at it like they just discovered plutonium! It looks aftermarket and is 10 years late (rambox debit 2009).

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My only issue with rambox is getting accessories is a pain. Other then that, I love them. Would not get a truck without them

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It adds something like 12" to the bed floor height, but if a person has a truck without Ram Box and wants something to store stuff in, and can live with the bed being 12" shallower, they can look into Decked:

https://decked.com/
Decked-bed-storage-drawers.jpg

One advantage is, the Decked drawers can be locked, and then a person can close & lock the tailgate of their truck, so effectively a thief would have to go through two locks to get to your stuff. Also, unless the thief looks down into your truck bed, said thief would never know you have any storage boxes on board. And if you had a camper shell, I don't think anyone would ever even know that you have Decked boxes under the floor of the bed.

I will definitely be buying my 2019 1500 with Ram Box option, as soon as it becomes available with the 6'4" bed. But if for some reason I couldn't get genuine Ram Box, I'd seriously look into Decked.

I don't think Decked makes a model to fit a truck that already has factory Ram Box.

And if I recall correctly, Nissan has had optional in-bed accessory boxes for awhile: https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/trucks/titan/accessories.html
Nissan-bed-boxes.jpg

Last edited:

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mopar has something similar. The major issue I have with that solution is it is a bit difficult to use when hauling a trailer.

ericd

Reaction score
Third Ram with ramboxes. I'd never give them up

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No regrets! I use them daily. They are a perfecty executed and original idea....unlike the GM and aftermarket options.

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
It adds something like 12" to the bed floor height, but if a person has a truck without Ram Box and wants something to store stuff in, and can live with the bed being 12" shallower, they can look into Decked:

https://decked.com/
View attachment 8065

One advantage is, the Decked drawers can be locked, and then a person can close & lock the tailgate of their truck, so effectively a thief would have to go through two locks to get to your stuff. Also, unless the thief looks down into your truck bed, said thief would never know you have any storage boxes on board. And if you had a camper shell, I don't think anyone would ever even know that you have Decked boxes under the floor of the bed.

I will definitely be buying my 2019 1500 with Ram Box option, as soon as it becomes available with the 6'4" bed. But if for some reason I couldn't get genuine Ram Box, I'd seriously look into Decked.

I don't think Decked makes a model to fit a truck that already has factory Ram Box.

And if I recall correctly, Nissan has had optional in-bed accessory boxes for awhile: https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/trucks/titan/accessories.html
View attachment 8064
Yes if the Decked had an option for maybe 6-8 inching height i think i would look at it more

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No regrets at all. It's one of the key reasons I bought Ram. It's like a trunk for your truck.

W9MCP

Reaction score
For those who need the bed space available at certain times and who want to use a tonneau cover, Swingcases may work well for you as they’re easily removable but still lockable.

Not affiliated with them in any way, just throwing this out as an option, since you can get to them with a cover on, but take them out if you need to make something fit while using the truck bed. Like everything, it’s a compromise, but they’re a useful one.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The chevy avalanche also had "rambox-esque" storage area. I think the Rambox is better executed though.
mm_gal_item_c2_9.img_resize.img_stage._1.jpg

jasonradner

Reaction score
Rambox is by far the best option on the Ram. 2nd Ram with them and it's amazing what you can actually carry without stacking your back seat. I have custom made different dividers/storage depending on seasons. My 3 season driver side is for fishing....locks in 3 spinning rod/reel combos, fly rod & Fly reel, and ryobi battery charger/light. Even small tackle fits.....passenger side is strapping, gloves, towing, flexible cooler, tire compressor, safety kit. Amazing

Users who are viewing this thread