5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Box not getting its due?

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
It seems like every advertisement that I see for Ram, the truck shown includes the Ram Box option. It's a very unique option that is exclusive to Ram and also seems very useful, yet very few actual trucks have it - why is that? I know there's been an issue with warping, but I would think that is easily fixable. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You already said it, because the warping issues. It is easy fix but required to replace the whole top cover everytime. I would love to have a rambox but never want to deal with the dealer for repeat issues like this so that's why i didn't get it in 1st place.

cwford

Reaction score
I think one reason is because the dealers don't order them that way so maybe a lot people don't get how great they are. This was my first Ram but I for sure wanted the Ram Box. They were quite hard to find in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like every advertisement that I see for Ram, the truck shown includes the Ram Box option. It's a very unique option that is exclusive to Ram and also seems very useful, yet very few actual trucks have it - why is that? I know there's been an issue with warping, but I would think that is easily fixable. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
A lot of them have been built - more than FCA expected. In the early 2019s, this led to long delays in receiving orders due to short supply. This may also have contributed to the quality control issues often discussed on this forum.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of them have been built - more than FCA expected. In the early 2019s, this led to long delays in receiving orders due to short supply. This may also have contributed to the quality control issues often discussed on this forum.
Boy do I remember that...and the first supplier went under and then the second supplier wasn't at all ready for demand.

cra1g

Reaction score
I like the idea of the Rambox, but it's not available with the 6'4" bed, it takes more volume away from the main bed than I was willing to give up (when I need the bed, I NEED the bed), and I can get maybe 90% of the functionality I'd want from the Rambox by using Diamondback's tool bin under the tonneau cover instead.

RichT

Reaction score
i'd love them if they actually designed them so they didn't basically eliminate the ability to put a topper on. not going to lift my topper every time I want to open a rambox.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My first ram and I definitely wanted them and I think they are one of Ram’s best features. Especially for someone like me who uses a truck as a truck not that often! Lol

U

User_21361

I was completely sold on them at first glance but also couldn't find any available at local dealers. I took a gamble and didn't get them and now I am happier I didn't. First because of warping and second because everything I wanted to store in them actually fit in the rear under seat compartment. They would have sat empty all the time had I got them. I'm much happier having the space and a more secure/water tight cover (Diamondback SE). The only real bummer is the divider that comes with the ramboxes looks amazing and nothing like it exists for standard beds.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i'd love them if they actually designed them so they didn't basically eliminate the ability to put a topper on. not going to lift my topper every time I want to open a rambox.
How would you do that? I’ve thought about this, but the concept is pretty much perfect as-is (i.e. easily-accessible built-in toolboxes/coolers). How could you maintain the easy reach without interfering with a top?

(If you can solve that puzzle, you might make some good money)

Pribilof

Reaction score
My boxes are a bit warped. About as much as those posted by people freaking about this issue. Honestly, it's not noticeable to anyone other than you. Certainly not worth multiple trips to the dealer for a slight cosmetic issue. The road grime on my truck is WAY more noticeable than any slight misalignment of my Ramboxes. I really don't understand why people are freaking out about this.

MTaylor

Reaction score
I like the idea of the Rambox, but it's not available with the 6'4" bed, it takes more volume away from the main bed than I was willing to give up (when I need the bed, I NEED the bed), and I can get maybe 90% of the functionality I'd want from the Rambox by using Diamondback's tool bin under the tonneau cover instead.

I read somewhere recently that they are now supposed to be offering Rambox with the 6'4" bed.

Apexcars

Reaction score
I had them on my last RAM and they were one of the main reasons I wanted another RAM. I don't know if they are going to warp or not but even the warping issues I have seen haven't looked like a big deal. Yes, if you are getting your truck as a show truck and never actually intend to do truck things with it then I can see you being upset if your Ramboxes are off by 1/8th of an inch but that isn't why I have a truck. As to them taking up bed space, the bed is no more narrow than the space between the wheel wells in a none Rambox truck and you definatley don't give up bed length or height like you do with a toolbox and you don't have to worry about digging things out from under them like you do with a toolbox or with Diamondbacks bin.

As for me, I keep one side pretty empty except for an umbrella that I can grab quickly if needed, and then put my long guns in there when I go hunting or shooting. The other side has tools, tire repair kit, ratchet straps, trailer hitch, paper towels, Styrofoam cups, etc. in there. I haven't seen anything on any other truck to rival them.

Probably one of the biggest reasons you don't see them more is the expense, if you haven't had them or don't see the real usefulness then you aren't going to shell out what they cost, Especially now that the divider is not included in the price.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Was driving a 4th gen on the weekend that had the RAM BOX and even it was warped... so guess it's not just the 5th gen having this issue.
If it was only off by 1/8th" on my 2019 I'd be happy but they are off by 1/2" and up on mine - which is why they are being replaced.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly off of your topic, but tangentially related:
I'm just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be possible to have a more-or-less regular camper shell, but with sides that are built just like the rear door of the shell, i.e. hinged at the top and open fully down to the bed rails, so that one could have both Ram Boxes and a camper shell? Simply open the side door of the shell and let it pop up, then open the Ram Box. If I didn't have a day job, I think I'd design such a shell myself (but then where to get it built?).

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I was originally indifferent about it but the Limited I looked at (and ended up getting) checked all of the boxes in terms of options, packages and colors I wanted and just so happened to include the rambox. I've come to love their functionality and added storage space (who doesn't love extra storage?) and will likely continue getting the rambox feature in future trucks. My truck is more "want" vs "need" so the slight bed capacity reduction is a non-issue at least for now.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly off of your topic, but tangentially related:
I'm just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be possible to have a more-or-less regular camper shell, but with sides that are built just like the rear door of the shell, i.e. hinged at the top and open fully down to the bed rails, so that one could have both Ram Boxes and a camper shell? Simply open the side door of the shell and let it pop up, then open the Ram Box. If I didn't have a day job, I think I'd design such a shell myself (but then where to get it built?).
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. They should be hinged at the top so that you didn't need free access to the bed rails. Then you could have a cap and the boxes at the same time.

I didn't get them for two reasons:

1. They would interfere with my truck cap, which I was pretty sure I was going to get (and did end up getting),
2. The guy that does all my house inspections had them and showed me how, if you use them for working (like I use my truck) the side of the bed ends up all scratched up in no time from dragging tools, cables, etc in and out of them in front of the bed.

I didn't know anything about warping or quality control - all I knew is that it is a great idea but needs a little more fleshing out. It might look a little odd but I'd like to see Ram boxes that just used the two small misshaped areas in front of/behind the wheel well, just to the height of the wheel well. That would leave the entirety of the width of the bed above the wheel wells and still give you some additional storage.

Users who are viewing this thread