5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 New tailgate? Chances of retrofit?

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I've seen the photos and read the rumors about the new multi function tailgate that Ram might be considering. I haven't heard anything definite. I hope if this ever becomes reality in the next year or so. is that this tailgate could be retrofitted on the 2019. Does anyone know more about this? If so, I wonder if they'll make it possible to buy the gate separately to be placed on our current trucks?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We will see soon. Wondered how long til someone asked. There is a good chance the bedside will be different. Will be interesting to see.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A direct bolt-on retrofit? Not likely imo, especially if it has the side-swing function.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
No one even knows what it is to even speculate about it.
At least for me the drop down works great I don’t think any other feature will interest me.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just under an hour til we see it. I just don't see it being a bolt on...the bedside and bed floor will be totally different I am sure.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, originally I felt it wouldn't be an easy task...but it appears the hinging mechanism is attached to the tailgate...it drops with the tailgate and appears to use the regular latch...and it doesnt seem to affect the bedside at all.
Looks like it might just be a tailgate swap...waiting for more pics.

Maybe a latch swap...and might also explain some of the reason for the loss of the bed extender...but not sure.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, originally I felt it wouldn't be an easy task...but it appears the hinging mechanism is attached to the tailgate...it drops with the tailgate and appears to use the regular latch...and it doesnt seem to affect the bedside at all.
Looks like it might just be a tailgate swap...waiting for more pics.

Maybe a latch swap...and might also explain some of the reason for the loss of the bed extender...but not sure.

I noticed the article specifically mentioned the bed divider / extender. What was that all about? Is the extender back?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed the article specifically mentioned the bed divider / extender. What was that all about? Is the extender back?
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to read the article. I was too busy looking at the side of the tailgate and the bed side.

More info to come shortly at the reveal.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Looks pretty sharp. I hope there is a way to retrofit it onto the current 2019's. I liked the GMC multipurpose tailgate but one thing you could NOT do was drop the mid section/step of the tailgate IF you had a hitch ball attached because the gate would crash into the ball. The Ram design allows you to take advantage of at least some/most of the multipurpose functions with the hitch ball mounted or possibly even if a trailer is attached.

Last edited:

GoFastGoFish

Reaction score
Haha I am sooo glad, I wasn't the only one that was immediately like "crap I need that" ... I just hope if retrofit is an option that it doesn't change anything with my tonneau

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was posted elsewhere that the bed was reconfigured, so a retrofit is unlikely.
=================================
Found it...posted by @Neurobit elswhere

$4k to retrofit because you need a new bed
The 2019 Ram 1500 Pickup Now Has a Trick Tailgate of Its Own

"Ram says it's possible to retrofit the new tailgate to an existing 2019 1500 truck, but because it would require replacing the box in addition to the tailgate, it's an impractical proposition likely to cost several thousand dollars (stand-alone beds for the old Ram cost upward of $4000). "

Last edited:

The_Chemist

Reaction score
It was posted elsewhere that the bed was reconfigured, so a retrofit is unlikely.
=================================
Found it...posted by @Neurobit elswhere

$4k to retrofit because you need a new bed
The 2019 Ram 1500 Pickup Now Has a Trick Tailgate of Its Own

"Ram says it's possible to retrofit the new tailgate to an existing 2019 1500 truck, but because it would require replacing the box in addition to the tailgate, it's an impractical proposition likely to cost several thousand dollars (stand-alone beds for the old Ram cost upward of $4000). "
Here's a video demonstrating the new tailgate.

Pete M

Reaction score
Looked at a 2020 Limited with Ramboxes and Multi function tailgate and compared with my 2019 with Ramboxes. No question you could swap out the tailgates. Only difference is the latching pins near top of sides where the fold down tailgate latches. MF tailgate has slightly longer pins which would be no trouble replacing. A rubber stop near the pins is different. Again no trouble changing out. It would only require removing the existing tailgate off truck by lifting off the bottom bracket pins and setting the New MF tailgate on the pins. The swinging and hinging bracket is a frame that the tailgate is attached to. Trouble is Ram is not selling the multi function tailgate as a unit. Sales rep and body shop guy told me you would have to buy the entire MF tailgate piece by piece. FCA this is BS. Make the MF tailgate an accessory please. If you don’t have Ramboxes you would need to install the front corner brackets also.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looked at a 2020 Limited with Ramboxes and Multi function tailgate and compared with my 2019 with Ramboxes. No question you could swap out the tailgates. Only difference is the latching pins near top of sides where the fold down tailgate latches. MF tailgate has slightly longer pins which would be no trouble replacing. A rubber stop near the pins is different. Again no trouble changing out. It would only require removing the existing tailgate off truck by lifting off the bottom bracket pins and setting the New MF tailgate on the pins. The swinging and hinging bracket is a frame that the tailgate is attached to. Trouble is Ram is not selling the multi function tailgate as a unit. Sales rep and body shop guy told me you would have to buy the entire MF tailgate piece by piece. FCA this is BS. Make the MF tailgate an accessory please. If you don’t have Ramboxes you would need to install the front corner brackets also.
What about the electronics?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This was my determination too. I have access to a 2020 Limited rambox with the MFT, and my 2020 Laramie rambox without the MFT and compared them side-to-side. The Limited is my girlfriend's truck, and she won't let me try swapping tailgates. I can understand, since it's only about a month old. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who sees that this is an easy swap if you can get the tailgate. I'm thinking availability will improve with time as they start to show up in junkyards on trucks which were involved in accidents. Not that I'm hoping people start wrecking their trucks. It's just something that's going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online