5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 Limited ETorque - Auto Shutdown (Parking Brake Engaged)

carlskj

Reaction score
Over the weekend I was making a right turn and during the turn my truck shutdown. The momentum carried me through the turn and I was able to safely pull to the side of the road. My display screen said I needed to put the vehicle in PARK and restart. Unfortunately I was not able to get a photo of that message. After doing so I did take a photo of the screen (attached). Somehow during this process my brake was engaged. Based on how I was sitting it is not possible that I hit the brake while driving and it did not come to an abrupt stop.

This all came shortly after I had my eTorque generator replaced (see my other thread). All this on a new Limited with just over 3,000 miles.

There are obviously still issues with my truck just not sure if they are related or unrelated. Anyone else have there truck randomly shutdown? Any idea what may have cause this? 2021_01_30 - RAM Shutdown.jpg

RickWaz

Reaction score
I've not experienced a sudden, random shutdown. But your Parking Brake engaging by itself, is most likely due to it being set to automatically engage, via the Uconnect settings.

1612191971317.png

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Over the weekend I was making a right turn and during the turn my truck shutdown. The momentum carried me through the turn and I was able to safely pull to the side of the road. My display screen said I needed to put the vehicle in PARK and restart. Unfortunately I was not able to get a photo of that message. After doing so I did take a photo of the screen (attached). Somehow during this process my brake was engaged. Based on how I was sitting it is not possible that I hit the brake while driving and it did not come to an abrupt stop.

This all came shortly after I had my eTorque generator replaced (see my other thread). All this on a new Limited with just over 3,000 miles.

There are obviously still issues with my truck just not sure if they are related or unrelated. Anyone else have there truck randomly shutdown? Any idea what may have cause this? View attachment 81349
Hi there, we are deeply sorry to hear that you are still facing concerns with your truck. If you intend to revisit the dealer to address this experience, please send our team a private message with your VIN. We are more than willing to get a case escalated for additional support in resolving this for you.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

lrr3782

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 ETorque as well and this happened to me twice a few months ago.
This is a very dangerous situation that needs to get fixed ASAP. I was luck that this didn't happen on a busy road. Please reply back I you find out what the fix is.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
This also happened to me while I was exiting a military installation. I was slowing down to go over a security speed bump and the engine shut down while the truck was still moving. I installed a Start/ Stop eliminator and it hasn’t happened ever since.

Last edited:

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This morning this happened to me for a second time. Both times it has happened I was slowing down to make a turn as other's have stated. Went to hit the gas and the engine was off. No warning lights or anything other than the shift to park message. It has also come close to dying on me several other times, but managed to keep running even though the rpm's dipped to almost zero. Both times it has happened it was either raining, or I had just recently driven while it was raining.

breilly

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 ETorque as well and this happened to me twice a few months ago.
This is a very dangerous situation that needs to get fixed ASAP. I was luck that this didn't happen on a busy road. Please reply back I you find out what the fix is.
This has also happened to me. I do feel the the auto stop start function is the blame. If this doesn’t get fixed someone is going to get seriously injured or even worse, killed. I may to just install an auto stop start bypass too.

Sdultra

Reaction score
Has happened to me at least 4 times. Always after a slow stop and then accelerating into an intersection. I kept thinking it had to be something I did, but today was almost a major accident. Headed to the dealers asap. Perhaps a letter to the NTSB as well.

2021 1500 Limited eTorque

Last edited:

Mopar57

Reaction score
Sdulta, did you get any resolution at the dealer? I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn with 5.7 etorque and just this week it shut off on its own at 20-25 MPH. No recalls active on my truck; tried to set up an appointment for service but the dealer said they are booked into November. I am concerned that when I go to a dealer they will in all likelihood not be able to recreate the issue and will tell me it seems fine come pick up your truck.

ShortStack

Reaction score
This has happened to me every time the temperature of the transmission is below 80F. Every stop sign it cuts off. I took it to the dealer and asked they put the PCM TSB on it and they said "NO."
I have read in another thread that this TSB - now a recall I think on the 2022 - fixes the issue. File a report with the NHTSB being specific about what happened. If enough are filed they have the power to issue a recall. Be safe.

Sdultra

Reaction score
Sdulta, did you get any resolution at the dealer? I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Bighorn with 5.7 etorque and just this week it shut off on its own at 20-25 MPH. No recalls active on my truck; tried to set up an appointment for service but the dealer said they are booked into November. I am concerned that when I go to a dealer they will in all likelihood not be able to recreate the issue and will tell me it seems fine come pick up your truck.
As usual, dealer was useless

Farm Gal

Reaction score
This has happened to me every time the temperature of the transmission is below 80F. Every stop sign it cuts off. I took it to the dealer and asked they put the PCM TSB on it and they said "NO."
I have read in another thread that this TSB - now a recall I think on the 2022 - fixes the issue. File a report with the NHTSB being specific about what happened. If enough are filed they have the power to issue a recall. Be safe.
I’ve had this happen in a 2023 Ram 1500 with eTorque. I had the auto on/off on. It is super easy to report to NHTSB and I concur that this can be a deadly issue. I had the PCM recall done and it still happened. I now turn auto on/off every time I drive and it hasn’t happened again (only been a 1000 miles since first occurrence). Please report if it happens to you. Again, it is so easy.

Users who are viewing this thread