5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 Cabin Air Flow

Mudstone

Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can comment. In previous vehicles, there has always been some air flow into the cabin (without turning on the fan).
This truck seems to have zero air flow into the cabin unless the fan is turned on? The reason I'm posting is that I care not to use the fan and the front windshield seems to be fog up quite easily. Previous vehicles would take care of this (until such a time when weather conditions, in Canada, warranted the use of the defrost function and other modes of the heating system).
Yes, I can open the window a crack but for now have to put on the heat at 1 for a few seconds in the defrost/floor setting).
thanks, any input is appreciated!

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you have a bunch of stuff under the rear seat? The only clear path to the rear cab vents is a small cut out in the trim covering the back wall under the rear seat

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve noticed this right away of ownership as it was fall season. Unless super cold no reason to use system. As all my previous vehicles would have flow even when off. Ours don’t, it’s a comfort thing as many of the euros did for years. The “off” set up would leave fresh/recirculate door to fresh(outside air) so naturally air would flow in hvac system while driving. The normal off now Is the door is closed. Full occupancy control/comfort, you don’t ask for air flow we won’t give it to ya lol

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, hope someone can comment. In previous vehicles, there has always been some air flow into the cabin (without turning on the fan).
This truck seems to have zero air flow into the cabin unless the fan is turned on? The reason I'm posting is that I care not to use the fan and the front windshield seems to be fog up quite easily. Previous vehicles would take care of this (until such a time when weather conditions, in Canada, warranted the use of the defrost function and other modes of the heating system).
Yes, I can open the window a crack but for now have to put on the heat at 1 for a few seconds in the defrost/floor setting).
The vehicles are always changing, on my first truck in the early 80s, the fan knob only had three speed, the temperature control was a lever to move from from blue to red, and another lever for defrost, floor or vents, the levers were hard to move in the winter because the levers actually moved gates to direct airflow. On some vehicles you did not have the option for the defrost and floor heat simultaneously, roast your ears and freeze your feet!
I live in Northern Ontario Timmins so I now the cold, I’m not sure what features you have in your truck but I have the 12” screen and not many actual buttons, I usually put the temperature on auto, on my truck there are many fan speed, I think 7, so the blower doesn’t make noise at lower settings. You are right about no air movement with the system off. Something to get used to.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What trim model do you have? Are using manual or automatic climate mode?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042863 miles.

Mudstone

Reaction score
What trim model do you have? Are using manual or automatic climate mode?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042863 miles.
Hi, I have the Sport model which is similar to US Long Horn models I believe.
I don't want to use any mode and some of the previous comments answered my query, there is no air circulation when the system is 'off'.
To defrost minor fogging, I must turn on the system (or use the open window method which I prefer).
Just one of those 'features' to assimilate with!
Thanks to all for providing knowledge!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to use any mode and some of the previous comments answered my query, there is no air circulation when the system is 'off'.
To defrost minor fogging, I must turn on the system (or use the open window method which I prefer).
That would be more similar to a Big Horn, which has a different console than the Longhorn. (I’m not familiar with the HVAC controls in your model.)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, there are only two versions of the climate system in the DT Rams. A manual only version without a touch screen, and the dual zone automatic version with the 8.4 or 12 inch touchscreen. I'm guessing the manual version is the baseline found in the Tradesman.

Ram provides a full off feature that may be new to some folks. But if you desire, you can maintain low air flow into the cabin by either using the manual mode or automatic mode and select a temperature. This puts the fan on the lowest speed. I leave mine on all the time and it accomplishes the same thing.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042867 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread