5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 2022 Laramie Reverse Lights

Brewboy73

Reaction score
HI All
The new Laramie's don't use the standard LED bulbs for reverse lights. When you remove the light housing, there is only one cable feeding the entire housing unit. Looks like some sort of LED light board instead of an actual plug-in bulb. I'm looking to put some after market lights in for brighter reverse lights. I've spoken with Lasfit and they have no clue what I'm talking about. Anyone know what type of light board is being used on the new Laramie's and Limiteds?

Sean

ramhouston

Reaction score
HI All
The new Laramie's don't use the standard LED bulbs for reverse lights. When you remove the light housing, there is only one cable feeding the entire housing unit. Looks like some sort of LED light board instead of an actual plug-in bulb. I'm looking to put some after market lights in for brighter reverse lights. I've spoken with Lasfit and they have no clue what I'm talking about. Anyone know what type of light board is being used on the new Laramie's and Limiteds?

Sean
your only option is to add external reverse lights. as far as i’m aware you cannot modify the internals of the tail light housing.

JoeRam

Reaction score
This is my setup
This works fantastic and just wire it in to your trailer harness with a splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-55384-C...prefix=7+pin+trailer+y+splitter,aps,65&sr=8-5

Try to get a photo tonight.. Its an amazing light

zlman

Reaction score
This is my setup
This works fantastic and just wire it in to your trailer harness with a splitter.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-55384-Custom-Wiring-Connector/dp/B0009FJ38Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1YUOV2ABVEUIB&keywords=7+pin+trailer+y+splitter&qid=1640445895&sprefix=7+pin+trailer+y+splitter,aps,65&sr=8-5

Try to get a photo tonight.. Its an amazing light
This doesn't hit the tailgate when opened?

1500Bear

Reaction score
Not at all….. It is a very thin fixture mounted to your license plate

View attachment 139746

Can you confirm (again, sorry) that you've got a 5th gen ram with a standard (opens down vs multi function) tailgate and that this does not interfere with tailgate operation? Could you post a pic?

I tried a very similar looking license plate mount reverse light XenonDepot RAM 1500 XTR LP Reverse Light System WP322 (Universal; Some Adaptation May Be Required) - Free Shipping and it crunched on the lower lip of the tailgate (not enough clearance). I was able to get it returned for full refund but I'm hesitant to try again with a similar design but if this works it's a perfect / easy solution to add a little more backup light.

JoeRam

Reaction score
Can you confirm (again, sorry) that you've got a 5th gen ram with a standard (opens down vs multi function) tailgate and that this does not interfere with tailgate operation? Could you post a pic?

I tried a very similar looking license plate mount reverse light XenonDepot RAM 1500 XTR LP Reverse Light System WP322 (Universal; Some Adaptation May Be Required) - Free Shipping and it crunched on the lower lip of the tailgate (not enough clearance). I was able to get it returned for full refund but I'm hesitant to try again with a similar design but if this works it's a perfect / easy solution to add a little more backup light.
Yes it is a 5th Gen, yes it is a standard tailgate. I have used this same light on four different trucks, my '18 1500, '19 2500, '21 2500 & now a '22 1500.
I don't know what else to tell you. It does not make contact with the tailgate at all! IMG_6615.jpeg IMG_6616.jpeg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There are literally dozens of us.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have this as well and the light is great however i had to snip the bottom of my plate a bit and re-drill holes slightly lower as it came in contact with my standard tailgate!

THFD334

Reaction score
With the trailer light splitter, did you have to do any splicing at all?

zlman

Reaction score
OP, glad these work for you but the linked website says won't fit 2019 and later Ram.

Kenco037

Reaction score
I bought this on Amazon: Xenon Depot Reverse light System, XTR LP License Plate Light Bar, Universal Flush Mount, fits Any US-Spec Plate Mounts, Ultra Bright Low Profile Design, Pure White Backup Light (1x XD.LED400 1x WP322) https://a.co/d/8OJbHFc
It hits the tailgate when it's open. I took off the license plate frame, and still hits.

Kenco037

Reaction score
I bought this on Amazon: Xenon Depot Reverse light System, XTR LP License Plate Light Bar, Universal Flush Mount, fits Any US-Spec Plate Mounts, Ultra Bright Low Profile Design, Pure White Backup Light (1x XD.LED400 1x WP322) https://a.co/d/8OJbHFc
It hits the tailgate when it's open. I took off the license plate frame, and still hits.
Also, I don't think they are that bright either. Barely noticed a difference compared to just b/u lights.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I drilled new holes about a 1/4'' lower and trimmed the plate and its been fine!

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or you can simply mount some LED lamps under the bumper using brackets that attach to the hitch tube.

reverse lights and switch (3).jpg

reverse lights and switch (2).jpg

You can either splice inline with the reverse lights or wire them to a stand alone switch. I wired mine to a switch since I don't need them to turn on while reversing during the day. When I do kick them on at night though, it's like the sun came out. Quick easy and cheap.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
There are a TON of ways you can add reverse lights. I actually have 2 sets. The first uses light bars attached to the hitch tube. These are attached to a switch in the cab, so I can control whether they are on or off anytime. The others are mounted in the bumper trim and use the curt harness posted above to power them when in reverse. No matter the solution you choose, I would highly recommend the Curt harness. It makes the install SOOOOO easy and eliminates the need to cut/splice into any existing wiring.

20220930_150011.jpg 20220930_150016.jpg 20220930_150212.jpg 20220930_150242.jpg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No matter the solution you choose, I would highly recommend the Curt harness. It makes the install SOOOOO easy and eliminates the need to cut/splice into any existing wiring.
Yeah, I'll second that. I added a harness on mine to so I could splice into it rather than into the factory wires. I still have the 4 pin plug free so plugging into that for power would be even easier. Either way, a $20 purchase saves you from cutting the factory wires, and it gives you a lot more room to work (there's not a lot of slack in the factory wires, which can make splicing a challenge).

The_PhiL

Reaction score
Or you can simply mount some LED lamps under the bumper using brackets that attach to the hitch tube.

View attachment 143895

View attachment 143894

You can either splice inline with the reverse lights or wire them to a stand alone switch. I wired mine to a switch since I don't need them to turn on while reversing during the day. When I do kick them on at night though, it's like the sun came out. Quick easy and cheap.
What bracket is this and where did you get it from? I have been trying to locate something like this for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread