5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain-X alternative... ceramic coating?

yup ram

Reaction score
I'm an avid user of Rain-x on all my vehicles. However, its annoying to have to apply every month or two and after years of applications you'd think I'd be better than I am at it. I'd love to find an alternative that lasts longer. I've done a little searching and it looks like ceramic coating may be a viable option to bead up rainwater. Has anyone here applied ceramic coating to their windshield/other windows? If so, can you share your experience? How long did it last? How much did it cost? Did you apply it yourself?

Not looking to tint anything. I'd just like the rain to roll off easier.

Any advice regarding other alternatives is welcome also.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an avid user of Rain-x on all my vehicles. However, its annoying to have to apply every month or two and after years of applications you'd think I'd be better than I am at it. I'd love to find an alternative that lasts longer. I've done a little searching and it looks like ceramic coating may be a viable option to bead up rainwater. Has anyone here applied ceramic coating to their windshield/other windows? If so, can you share your experience? How long did it last? How much did it cost? Did you apply it yourself?

I have ceramic applied to my windows and it does a great job with water beading and making it easier to clean off bugs. As far as how long it should last, I don’t know other than the shop that applied it claims they have a way to check the coating and touch up as necessary. I paid $1575 to get the entire truck done- that was paint, trim, glass, and wheels. I recently had the windshield replaced and got the ceramic reapplied to the windshield at a cost of $100.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I applied two coats of Griot's glass sealant and have been maintaining with their ceramic glass cleaner. I believe their claim for the sealant was 6 months. I'm about 3 months in and it works as well as the day I applied it. Pretty good for about $5.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use NuFinish. Lasts pretty long and is super easy to put on. I just used the ret of my rainx spray bottle and I'm not buying another one it's a pain to put on vs NuFinish.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I applied two coats of Griot's glass sealant and have been maintaining with their ceramic glass cleaner. I believe their claim for the sealant was 6 months. I'm about 3 months in and it works as well as the day I applied it. Pretty good for about $5.
What did you buy for $5? I want to do a DIY on one of my other vehicles but I don’t know if I have the right product since the cheapest one I see from Griot is $20.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What did you buy for $5? I want to do a DIY on one of my other vehicles but I don’t know if I have the right product since the cheapest one I see from Griot is $20.
Sorry, I was speaking generally. After cleaning, claying, polishing, and sealing the glass. I probably used about $5 worth of product total.

Here's what I used: Griot's glass sealant

I used probably less than two ounces to do two coats.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1652792601289.png

I'm lazy. As far as other windows I've been trying out Sud Factory glass cleaner and glass ceramic coating. It works pretty well, but you have to reapply every couple months. I'm experimenting with more coats to see if I can get it to last longer.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I was speaking generally. After cleaning, claying, polishing, and sealing the glass. I probably used about $5 worth of product total.

Here's what I used: Griot's glass sealant

I used probably less than two ounces to do two coats.
Ah ok, thanks. I’m going to try that stuff out.
Edit: how is shipping more than the product. Uggg.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: how is shipping more than the product. Uggg.
Yeah, Griot's shipping is ridiculous. I buy a few of their products in bulk, so always easy for me to hit their minimum for free shipping.

I think it was $11 on Amazon at one time, so might be worth keeping an eye on the fluctuations there.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Question for those that have had Ceramic done professionally and do it yourselfer's, I have my summer car with Ceramic coated and paint corrected, but I was told never run it thru a car wash. Being a small convertible that is not an problem.

How are you folks washing your trucks in the middle of winter where those of us have snow? The info I was provided by my installer was the car washes will just put the scratches back in and shorten the life of any ceramic coating. I like the idea of not having to fight the summer bugs on the truck.

Thanks all.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
I use Griot’s ceramic glass cleaner. I clean the windshield at least once a week so the longevity of the coating doesn’t really matter. It seems to perform just as well as Rain-X and is less fussy to apply.

Reaction score
Question for those that have had Ceramic done professionally and do it yourselfer's, I have my summer car with Ceramic coated and paint corrected, but I was told never run it thru a car wash. Being a small convertible that is not an problem.

How are you folks washing your trucks in the middle of winter where those of us have snow? The info I was provided by my installer was the car washes will just put the scratches back in and shorten the life of any ceramic coating. I like the idea of not having to fight the summer bugs on the truck.

Thanks all.
Is a "touchless" carwash nearby an option? I have one of those nearby that's just high-pressure blasts all the way around the car, but its expensive compared to the Moo-Moo unlimited wash monthly pass that I've been using with cars less cared about than my on-order 1500.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is a "touchless" carwash nearby an option? I have one of those nearby that's just high-pressure blasts all the way around the car, but its expensive compared to the Moo-Moo unlimited wash monthly pass that I've been using with cars less cared about than my on-order 1500.
touch-free is generally okay.
Just depends on what chemicals they are spraying.

NEVER go to a regular touch based on

Users who are viewing this thread