5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio Issue Question For Tech Savvy Guys

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 12 inch was replaced in May for Uconnect issues but has worked fine ever since. In November while taking a long trip I noticed that the sound from the drivers side speakers would intermittently cut out for a few seconds. It happened randomly and sometimes wouldn’t happen for 30 or 40 minutes of driving. Driving over bumps wouldn’t cause it so I can’t imagine it’s loose wires or a short. It happened on AM, FM and Sirius. Since that one time in November it hasn’t occurred again until today. Same exact situation where I could drive for a while and it’s fine then the drivers side speakers go out for a few seconds then come back on. It’s really frustrating and I know I the dealer won’t be able to replicate the issue so I would like to try and narrow down the issue before taking it in. Any suggestions or ideas on how to diagnose the problem are greatly appreciated.

Kidder

Reaction score
This happened to me a couple of times. For me, Android Auto was causing the issue which was solved by simply unplugging the cord and plugging it back in.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This happened to me a couple of times. For me, Android Auto was causing the issue which was solved by simply unplugging the cord and plugging it back in.
Hmmmm interesting. I didn’t have the phone plugged into Apple Car Play but I had it charging using the wireless charger. Did yours resolve itself?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
maybe the amp is acting up when it gets hot enough, since its only happening to you on long road trips.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
maybe the amp is acting up when it gets hot enough, since its only happening to you on long road trips.
Thanks for the input. I thought of that too but noticed that it was doing it as soon as I started it after the truck hadn’t been driven for two nights. Maybe resetting the radio will help?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 12 inch was replaced in May for Uconnect issues but has worked fine ever since. In November while taking a long trip I noticed that the sound from the drivers side speakers would intermittently cut out for a few seconds. It happened randomly and sometimes wouldn’t happen for 30 or 40 minutes of driving. Driving over bumps wouldn’t cause it so I can’t imagine it’s loose wires or a short. It happened on AM, FM and Sirius. Since that one time in November it hasn’t occurred again until today. Same exact situation where I could drive for a while and it’s fine then the drivers side speakers go out for a few seconds then come back on. It’s really frustrating and I know I the dealer won’t be able to replicate the issue so I would like to try and narrow down the issue before taking it in. Any suggestions or ideas on how to diagnose the problem are greatly appreciated.
UPDATE: So I spent some time diagnosing my driver side speaker cutting out issue and as much as I am happy to report that I figured it out, I feel stupid at the same time. After playing around with different scenarios I was able to determine that somehow my navigation volume got set all the way down so the cutting out was occurring when the nav was giving route guidance but I couldn’t hear the guidance because the volume was so low. I have not touched the guidance volume since setting it originally so I have no clue how it got set so low. Maybe an OTA update? I haven’t got a clue. I am the only one who drives my truck so it’s a mystery. Anyway, I turned the volume up on the nav and all is fine. The reason I didn’t consider this is because the few times I used the nav when the cutting out occurred I already knew where I was going but used the nav for an ETA and to check for any delays...so I wasn’t paying mind to the fact that I wasn’t hearing turn by turn audio guidance. I was listening to music and focused on the music. Happy to report problem solved.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE: So I spent some time diagnosing my driver side speaker cutting out issue and as much as I am happy to report that I figured it out, I feel stupid at the same time. After playing around with different scenarios I was able to determine that somehow my navigation volume got set all the way down so the cutting out was occurring when the nav was giving route guidance but I couldn’t hear the guidance because the volume was so low. I have not touched the guidance volume since setting it originally so I have no clue how it got set so low. Maybe an OTA update? I haven’t got a clue. I am the only one who drives my truck so it’s a mystery. Anyway, I turned the volume up on the nav and all is fine. The reason I didn’t consider this is because the few times I used the nav when the cutting out occurred I already knew where I was going but used the nav for an ETA and to check for any delays...so I wasn’t paying mind to the fact that I wasn’t hearing turn by turn audio guidance. I was listening to music and focused on the music. Happy to report problem solved.
Well, at least you've provided more positive proof that the truck will hold a lower volume setting in Nav. There's a few on here that report their Nav volume resets to Very Loud after shutdown...you probably attempted to adjust your music volume (thru knob/steering wheel) while Nav guidance was being given. Two ways to adjust Nav volume are either through Nav Settings, or tuning the volume knob while Nav is speaking.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, at least you've provided more positive proof that the truck will hold a lower volume setting in Nav. There's a few on here that report their Nav volume resets to Very Loud after shutdown...you probably attempted to adjust your music volume (thru knob/steering wheel) while Nav guidance was being given. Two ways to adjust Nav volume are either through Nav Settings, or tuning the volume knob while Nav is speaking.
Ahhh! You are probably right on point. And yes, the NAV volume will go extremely low and you can still faintly hear something. So it definitely can sustain low volumes. Thanks for the feedback.

flyingron

Reaction score
Is the navigation trying to say something? I find the UConnect nav system rather annoying in that it just puts the nav prompts in the front left speaker while leaving whatever audio program you're using in the others.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Nice! Good catch!
Sometimes it's little things like this what will drive you bonkers, only to realize it was a simple setting like the one you've described.
Glad you found it. Hopefully it will help someone else down the line with a similar issue.

Reactions: MJP

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know why my nav guidance stops at times. I found nav volume is set at same (has not changed). To get it back in nav setting I turn off and back on the the nave guidance sound.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't know why my nav guidance stops at times. I found nav volume is set at same (has not changed). To get it back in nav setting I turn off and back on the the nave guidance sound.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
See Helipilot’s response to my post. Maybe you are doing what he mentioned?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the navigation trying to say something? I find the UConnect nav system rather annoying in that it just puts the nav prompts in the front left speaker while leaving whatever audio program you're using in the others.
Doesn’t bother me at all. I kind of like it versus most vehicles that kill the sound completely.

Users who are viewing this thread