5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions

RockJock

Reaction score
Hey all. I'll be in the market for a new truck next year. 2020 model year. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali right now. I was dead set on a 2020 Sierra Denali until I read a comment about the wow factor of the 2019 Ram interior. I had to check it out for myself. I googled it right away. Sure enough, looks pretty sweet with the 12" screen! That kind of hooked me right there. I started researching the Ram 1500 more. The more I read, the more I want one. I have yet to drive one. I'm going to go to a local dealer and test drive one just to see how it fits me. More than likely I'll be getting a new Ram instead of the Denali. I have several questions.

1. Do we know anything about planned changes for the 2020 model year? When will the 2020 be released?

2. The MSRP of the Ram I'd want is about $66k. (Ram 1500 Limited with quite a few options). No local dealer has one configured the way I want it. There are quite a few listed locally with the MSRP between $60k-$64k. These are selling for roughly $56k-$60k. I'm surprised to see that much off MSRP right away. Is this common? I haven't looked into MSRP vs dealer price for any brand of vehicles in quite a while until now.

3. How is the light output from the headlights on the Limited? I'm sick of low quality headlights.

4. Power tilt/telescope steering wheel on the Limited?

5. What are your favorite and least favorite things about your Ram?

Lettika

Reaction score
I was in the same boat you were. 20 yrs of GMC and I went to the Ram this year. Everything is better except for the power. I always had a 6.6 Duramax and there is nothing in the truck market I have driven that compares. That aside, so far, everything is better than the GMC. Time will tell if this holds true for the longevety of the truck. If you had any of the GMC gas engines you will not look back.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. No idea. Early april, 2019 would be an educated guess as to when you could order.

2. Normal, get the best deal you can. Much more negotiable than other manufacturers/dealers.

3. The 5th gen headlights are amazing. They really got it right this time.

4. In the Rebel it's manual tilt and telesc. A Limited owner could verify if it's different for that trim.

5. e-Locking rear, dual panoramic sunroof, overall badass looks, rear seat room, new improved headlights, reliable and addictive 5.7l hemi power... too many favorites to list. Least favorite thing is the over-sensitive low fuel warning, over 5 gal (20 litres) left in the tank when it starts to ding is ridiculous. Plus low fuel disables remote start. Very minor issue.

Ranchram

Reaction score
Limited is also manual tilt and telescoping. Everything else in the truck is so amazing that this will quickly become a non-issue. At least it has for me.

James1414d

Reaction score
Hey all. I'll be in the market for a new truck next year. 2020 model year. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali right now. I was dead set on a 2020 Sierra Denali until I read a comment about the wow factor of the 2019 Ram interior. I had to check it out for myself. I googled it right away. Sure enough, looks pretty sweet with the 12" screen! That kind of hooked me right there. I started researching the Ram 1500 more. The more I read, the more I want one. I have yet to drive one. I'm going to go to a local dealer and test drive one just to see how it fits me. More than likely I'll be getting a new Ram instead of the Denali. I have several questions.

1. Do we know anything about planned changes for the 2020 model year? When will the 2020 be released?

2. The MSRP of the Ram I'd want is about $66k. (Ram 1500 Limited with quite a few options). No local dealer has one configured the way I want it. There are quite a few listed locally with the MSRP between $60k-$64k. These are selling for roughly $56k-$60k. I'm surprised to see that much off MSRP right away. Is this common? I haven't looked into MSRP vs dealer price for any brand of vehicles in quite a while until now.

3. How is the light output from the headlights on the Limited? I'm sick of low quality headlights.

4. Power tilt/telescope steering wheel on the Limited?

5. What are your favorite and least favorite things about your Ram?
Came from a 2015 Silverado.

Can't answer all your questions, but....

The lights will be 100% better if you go with a limited, guaranteed.

No power tilt telescope. It will however have tilt telescope.

I miss the bumper steps and I think the cab is slightly quieter in the 'rado. Not by much tho. Both impressive.

The ride is soooo much better in the Ram.

The 12" screen is bad ***.

I would recommend looking at a Longhorn. The interior is over the top.

RockJock

Reaction score
Thanks. I really wanted the Denali for the HUD and the Multi Pro tailgate. I really want the Ram for the 12" screen and RamBox (among other things). The Denali tailgate would be nice, but I figure I'll get a lot more use out of the RamBox. I thought of a few more questions.

1. Is the tri fold tonneau cover from the factory any good? Waterproof? Can you open and close the tailgate without unlatching the cover? I want a tonneau cover, but I don't know if I'd get that one or an aftermarket one.

2. How is the factory bedliner? I see it's only $200 to delete it. I'm curious how it is for that price.

3. Is there any kind of drive mode selector? Snow-Mud-Normal; anything like that?

Last edited:

wirles

Reaction score
The bed liner is fine. I haven't had any issues withit.

I didn't want the soft top available from the factory. I plan on going with the Ultraflex Undercover. Not much difference in price from the one from the family. but much nicer.

Not an endorsement of the site. Video for info purposes.

kittyjo

Reaction score
plan on setting up truck for fishing, hunting what is truck cover for that?

steveved

Reaction score
I also came from an older GM: I had a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 4x4. The difference in ride quality between the Chevy and my new RAM are night and day. The RAM is an order of magnitude better.

About the only thing I miss from my Chevy are the bumper steps. There is a post in the accessory forum about some retractable steps you can install on the RAM for getting into the bed easier. I am probably going to get them in the spring. I don't do much hauling in the winter, but tons in the spring and summer. So, getting into and out of the bed right now are not big issues.

I looked at a 2019 GMC Denali with the 6.2 before getting this RAM. GM isn't willing to come off these at all unless you are a supplier. And even then, it isn't much. About the only things I liked better about the GMC was the 6.2 engine and the tailgate/bumper steps. But, after driving both back to back, I bought the RAM. I got a Laramie. Original sticker (sport appearance package, eTorque Hemi, 4x4) was $60k and after my discounts I got it for $48k.

Cannot tell you how pleased I am with this RAM after 3000 miles. My biggest complaints about the 2019 GMC were that the interior looked almost the same as my 2014, no real upgrades to materials and quality. The brakes felt kind of weak and the ride was still bouncy like the 2014. The steering was about the only drive-ability improvement over my 2014.

No joke, this RAM drives as smoothly as a car. Yet, hauls a 30ft trailer with my Camaro on it with no issues. Oh and the LED headlights on the Laramie are awesome. Really light up the road. I can only imagine that the Limited headlights are better with the projectors.

GM seriously needs to step up their game or I won't be going back...

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Big Horn has the tilt and telescopic wheel, it’s not even listed on the sticker so I’m thinking that is a standard thing across all trim levels. ??

I assume the 2020s will go back on schedule with other model year cars/truck releases. The 19 release was early because of the new platform. While shopping and talking to dealers, they were not happy about the early release as they had too much 18 inventory.

ponypride

Reaction score
Does anyone know when that rear step it's going to be released. Is there a part number for it to add to your truck? Has anyone added the weather tech step to the hitch of their truck and do they like it .

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know when that rear step it's going to be released. Is there a part number for it to add to your truck? Has anyone added the weather tech step to the hitch of their truck and do they like it .
rear step has been released and some members already have it installed on their trucks which they have posted photos on here.

U-235

Reaction score
Same here. Came from a 2017 Sierra Denali, test drove a 2019 Denali. Drove the Ram, and it is WORLDS better. Better ride, adjustable air suspension, pano sunroof, well thought out storage, massive infotainment system, back seat area is huge, everything. When friends get in my truck, they all say the same thing - "You said it was nice inside, but WOW. This is REALLY nice inside." It makes the Denali look like a work truck.
My only complaint after 3000 miles is the exterior styling - it's not the sexiest thing on the road at all. But that's a matter of personal preference.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Made the same switch 2015 Sierra Denali to 2019 Ram Limited. Wouldn't go back for anything after years of GM loyalty. The only thing I miss is the power and gas mileage of the 6.2. So far my truck has been problem free with almost 4,000 miles on it. Price was too good for me to pass up so I ended up buying more truck than I planned because it was sitting there waiting to go home with me.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Similar to you after many GM products, I decided to make the switch and bought my first RAM. I traded out of a 2015 GMC Sierra fully loaded SLT, less the 6.2. I swapped out the headlights on my GMC to the 2016 LED projectors from a 2016 Denali because of the terrible halogens in the 2015 which was a major improvement. I have a Laramie but I can tell you the LED reflectors in the Laramie are significantly better than the LED projectors from the K2XX platform I can't say how they compare to the new 2019 GM platform though. I test drove a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT and was disappointed with just about every aspect of the truck. The RAM rides much better and the interior is not even worth comparing, GM really screwed the pooch in that regard. Favorite thing about the Ram is the ride and cabin comfort at freeway speeds is Luxury car comparable. I personally feel the RAM is the best looking truck exterior wise on the market but that's all in the eye of the beholder. Least favorite thing is lack of prox key access on the rear doors and the illumination from the reverse lights needs some attention as well.

warvet

Reaction score
Owned 3 GMCs, traded my last one for this Ram. There is no comparison. When I ordered this Ram back in May, I considered myself to be a GMC guy and was looking at Ram just to cross it off the list. And the funny thing is, I was purchasing a King Ranch (Ford) because I was so tired of how far behind GMC is...........things that come on the cheapest cars takes GMC so long to implement.

I had no intent of buying a 19 GMC because I saw videos where the interior looked exactly the same as my 16 (to me). As for heads up display; I had that on my 7 series BMW and I can do without. Not having power tilt ---I guess my thing is, I never need to adjust it so I set it and forget it.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Owned 3 GMCs, traded my last one for this Ram. There is no comparison. When I ordered this Ram back in May, I considered myself to be a GMC guy and was looking at Ram just to cross it off the list. And the funny thing is, I was purchasing a King Ranch (Ford) because I was so tired of how far behind GMC is...........things that come on the cheapest cars takes GMC so long to implement.

I had no intent of buying a 19 GMC because I saw videos where the interior looked exactly the same as my 16 (to me). As for heads up display; I had that on my 7 series BMW and I can do without. Not having power tilt ---I guess my thing is, I never need to adjust it so I set it and forget it.

I'm in your same boat, No one drives my truck but me for the most parts so the column pretty much stays where its at. As far as the HUD goes, I test drove a couple vehicle in the past with it and it's only downfall for me, During they day I always drive with polarized sunglasses to cut glare, HUD operates on the principal of glare off the inside of the windshield, as you can imagine the HUD image disappears when you have polarized glasses on. That pretty much made up my mind that HUD wasn't a selling point for me.

warvet

Reaction score
I'm in your same boat, No one drives my truck but me for the most parts so the column pretty much stays where its at. As far as the HUD goes, I test drove a couple vehicle in the past with it and it's only downfall for me, During they day I always drive with polarized sunglasses to cut glare, HUD operates on the principal of glare off the inside of the windshield, as you can imagine the HUD image disappears when you have polarized glasses on. That pretty much made up my mind that HUD wasn't a selling point for me.
AMEN to polarized. Same here man!!!! I wear polarized prescription and had to turn my head sideways to see the HUD

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AMEN to polarized. Same here man!!!! I wear polarized prescription and had to turn my head sideways to see the HUD
You bet, you can't beat a pair of Maui Jim's or Persols with glass lenses, The first time I test drove a car with a HUD was during the day and the salesman was like what do you think of the HUD? What HUD? was my reply, took off my glasses and there it was. Too much going on for me anyways, the same reason I went with the 8.4 versus the 12 inch screen.

Users who are viewing this thread