5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on AlfaOBD

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Hi guys - quick question on AlfaOBD. I'm getting ready to buy new tires that are up a size, so I'll need to recalibrate my speedo. I'd love to find a fellow 5thGenRams member close by who already has an AlfaOBD that I could just pay to do this for me rather than buy one myself (we are an Apple household). Is this even possible, or are the AlfaOBD's set to one VIN per purchase? In other words, can anyone who already owns one use it on an unlimited number of VIN's, or can they only use it just for their one vehicle?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's just an app, typically for Android (although there is a Windows version)
It's 50$ to buy the app and it's linked to the Google account\family. Can install it on as many phones as they have their account\family on, and no nothing is locked per vin.

You would just need them to also move over their SWG bypass module before plugging in as I assume you don't have one.

You can also buy an Android phone off ebay for dirt cheap and buy and install it to that if you wanted.
I have around 30-40 android phones in my basement but they arent anything special so I havn't bothered to try and sell them.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Thanks - yeah I don't have a module and don't really want to go through the trouble of buying an Anrdoid phone. Could you just move from Massachusetts to KC real quick and I'll pay you to do it for me?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure someone would be willing to do it for you, but it is relatively quick and easy to do on your own. May seem daunting at first, but not too bad at all. There are also plenty of other benefits that become available to you with the software. If you don't plan on adding or making any other vehicle configuration changes then it may be cheaper to just have someone do it one time for you, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that much more to get the few things that are needed.

I've made more changes than what the typical Ram owner would ever make I'm sure, but the application has more than paid for itself numerous times.

*** Also coming from an Apple household ***

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks - yeah I don't have a module and don't really want to go through the trouble of buying an Anrdoid phone. Could you just move from Massachusetts to KC real quick and I'll pay you to do it for me?
Surely, you can find someone in KC or not to far from there?
I'm a couple hours away, that'd still be alot cheaper than paying @Biggiehorn to move from Mass. to KC!

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
I've made more changes than what the typical Ram owner would ever make I'm sure, but the application has more than paid for itself numerous times.

*** Also coming from an Apple household ***

I get that - it just seems like a hassle to buy the scanner, buy the cable, buy a phone, etc. I don't even have a Google account.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm a couple hours away, that'd still be alot cheaper than paying @Biggiehorn to move from Mass. to KC!
Especially since Biggiehorn lives in Florida lol.

Bypass module $25 (you already own this, the TazerDT works as a bypass, just leave it plugged in until you are done)
OBD2 module $15 (can also check engine codes)
AlfaODB $50
Android phone $30 (any potato even with a cracked screen would work

A google account takes 10 seconds to sign up for and is free. It's the same thing as an itunes account. When you turn on the android phone you set one up.
COnnect to wifi
Open playstore
search for Alfaodb
Buy it with a credit card
Connect to ODB2 sensor (Bluetooth)
Open Alfaodb and connect

It's really easy, but I get if you don't want to do it

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
lol alright you've convinced me. I'll order all the stuff today. what android phone do you recommend?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
lol alright you've convinced me. I'll order all the stuff today. what android phone do you recommend?
This is pretty decent for $50.

Comes with Android 11 which is pretty modern, good storage ram, and an SD card slot if you ever want to do anything else with it, like turn it into an ipod or Pandora streaming box.
I know it's a bit more then $30

This should work too and it's only $35, but imo get the Nokia and keep it as a utility device

Spookhil1963

Reaction score
It's just an app, typically for Android (although there is a Windows version)
It's 50$ to buy the app and it's linked to the Google account\family. Can install it on as many phones as they have their account\family on, and no nothing is locked per vin.

You would just need them to also move over their SWG bypass module before plugging in as I assume you don't have one.

You can also buy an Android phone off ebay for dirt cheap and buy and install it to that if you wanted.
I have around 30-40 android phones in my basement but they arent anything special so I havn't bothered to try and sell them.
It will also work on Chrome books.......

Users who are viewing this thread