5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question For Those Who Wash Their Trucks At Home

Kenny4

Reaction score
I assume most use a car wash, but I still wash my own vehicles. One reason is the clear coat on my 2021 Ram is so smudge sensitive that I don't want it going through a mechanical wash at this time. Anyhow, what methods, tools, and materials have you found that work best for you and make the job a bit easier. Thanks

Kenny4

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyhow, what methods, tools, and materials have you found that work best for you and make the job a bit easier. Thanks

Kenny4

Kids! Best damn remote controls on the face of the earth.
But then trying to motivate them is another thing.

Will never put my truck through a car wash. I will wash my own s**t just because the end result is gratifying.
I found the following to work for my situation…

A long handled brush with a good soft cleaning pad on it ( for the roof, my tonneau, hood), a good sponge that can remove bug and tar etc., a good size step stool, a couple of buckets, maybe a work table, a bunch of QUALITY microfiber clothes and applicators, and good chemical.
I will use my pressure washer and foam cannon every other wash. I will dry majority of the truck with an Absorber Chamois, then follow up with a hand air dryer/blower for the nooks and crannies. For sealant, I try to do it about every 6 months with a DA polisher and good pads. Wash, dry, clay, wax, seal. Truck just made a year old, so it’s due.
I use Chemical Guys Waterless Car Wash in between if truck just needs a quick touch up. And a good quality detail spray. I use MALCO Showroom shine to detail. Bottom line to me is the chemical and good application.
Every job is easier with the right tools, detailing too.
It’s an all day affair when waxing/sealing, but something I tend to plan for weeks in advance.
I believe that when it is done right the first time, maintaining it just becomes easier.
Good luck!

Goldsy

Reaction score
I use this one:

Game changer and significantly speeds up the washing process.

I've had several different routines over the years. My back isn't what it used to be anymore, so I'm about efficiency these days.

My weekly washes are with 2 buckets and a microfiber wash mitt (a hand mitt and the pole linked above) Chemical guys Mr Pink soap in both the foam cannon and the bucket.

Twice a year I do a full clay bar and just a single hybrid ceramic coating. I've had great results with the Turtle wax hybrid solutions spray ceramic, and it lasts 6 months no problem

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol…
I just got a similar one in green yesterday to replace my broken one. But my old one didn’t have the pocket to put your hand in it. Glad you like yours, am looking forward to using mine when I get around to it.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kids are long gone so I am it.
Telescoping long soft brush, soap and a hose.
I liked my white expedition, only needed washing once a year, this black rebel is a different story.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My routine is exactly like MikeyHo’s with the exception is that I use a drying rag and it gets wiped down with ceramic shine (for lack of a better term) every other wash.

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
There's so many options... For black you'll definitely want to use a 2 bucket method with some dirt trap or at least one trap in the clean bucket (If swirls and microscratches bother you). Some ph neutral car wash soap, an after wash spray for when drying, and a blower or air compressor is key for me... Product wise you'll have to pick which ones look best to you, there's so many...

Attachments

• AF676113-8EDF-4F1E-B052-78F4C00E57A9.jpeg
    AF676113-8EDF-4F1E-B052-78F4C00E57A9.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 58

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol…
I just got a similar one in green yesterday to replace my broken one. But my old one didn’t have the pocket to put your hand in it. Glad you like yours, am looking forward to using mine when I get around to it.
Here you go
620.jpg

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Pressure washer, foam cannon, water deionizer (so you don’t need to dry it) good buckets soft Brushes and plenty of good microfiber towels for ceramic spray application.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pressure washer, foam cannon, water deionizer (so you don’t need to dry it) good buckets soft Brushes and plenty of good microfiber towels for ceramic spray application.
Can you give details on your deionizer? I have a serious with hard water where I live, and can't hand wash my truck because of it unless the sun isn't shining and the temp is below 65 degrees, or I just end up with a ton of water spots.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have hand car wash places around here. I use them during the winter season.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Can you give details on your deionizer? I have a serious with hard water where I live, and can't hand wash my truck because of it unless the sun isn't shining and the temp is below 65 degrees, or I just end up with a ton of water spots.
I have a on the go 2 stage deionizer, I paid approx $300.00 for it. We have 6 vehicles I have 3 and my daughter, son and wife each have one, I wash all of them. I got the deionizer approx 1 year ago and just had to change the resin for the first time$100.00. I would say I got between 50 to 60 washes. We are on well water so if you wash and don’t dry it will leave spots all over. I use the deionizer just for the final rinse and wash either early morning or late evening to keep the water from drying before I can do the final rinse. Final rinse walk away no spots whatsoever and 20 minutes of drying time saved, definitely worth the investment.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I have a on the go 2 stage deionizer, I paid approx $300.00 for it. We have 6 vehicles I have 3 and my daughter, son and wife each have one, I wash all of them. I got the deionizer approx 1 year ago and just had to change the resin for the first time$100.00. I would say I got between 50 to 60 washes. We are on well water so if you wash and don’t dry it will leave spots all over. I use the deionizer just for the final rinse and wash either early morning or late evening to keep the water from drying before I can do the final rinse. Final rinse walk away no spots whatsoever and 20 minutes of drying time saved, definitely worth the investment.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve gotten my best/quickest results doing this:
1) Pressure wash the truck. I have a $100 Ryobi one that works flawlessly. Added quick disconnects, a longer hose, and a snubby gun and it’s awesome.
2) Wash with either the 2 bucket method with a good car wash soap (I use chemical guys V07, but there’s plenty of good ones), or use the same soap with a foam cannon. Get a cheap cannon & a 1mm orifice and it’ll spray like the expensive ones. I spray the foam cannon and wash with a microfiber madness sponge in 4 sections because if you foam the whole truck you won’t have foam on it by the time you get to the other side.
3) Rinse
4) Dry with a powerful leaf blower for 90% of the water
5) Spray on a detailing spray/wax of your choice. I use P&S beadmaker and CG banana spray wax.
6) Dry the remaining water on the truck with a carpros microfiber towel using the products as a drying aid & waxing the truck in 1 step.
7) Clean windows with invisible glass. Spray, wipe down with a carpros edgeless microfiber, then hit it again with a dry microfiber. Leaves NO streaks.
8) Shine tires & wheel liners with CG Tire Kicker with a horsehair brush to rub it into the knobby tires.
9) Clean wheels with same combo of beadmaker and spray wax.
10) Admire!
I need to get an extension pole because I can’t even really reach the middle of my roof with a 3 step ladder lol.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. My main concern with these is the cost of replacing the resin. With 4 vehicles it sounds like I can expect it to cost less than $100 per year. Definitely less than using the touchless car washes 2 to 4 times a month. Thanks again.

Whitty37

Reaction score
Wow...I wash my truck once every 3-6 months and sometimes that is only at the coin pressure washer lol. To each their own eh?

Users who are viewing this thread