5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Granite Crystal Metallic Owners

cervelo15

Reaction score
So I spent my weekend detailing my Granite Crystal Ram and after getting it all cleaned up. I think it was a labor of love and therapeutic, but was a lot of work for a 4 month old truck.

I pulled it out of the garage and noticed in some spots, the paint seems a bit blotchy (if that makes sense). I doubt it’s the Adams coating I applied because I did panel by panel and wiped it off no more than 30-45 seconds after applying. I also spent a significant amount of time afterwards wiping down the whole truck with a finishing towel. Stuff was rather easy to apply and manage. I saw zero streaking.

Still looks beautiful, but is this a common issue for this paint color? I’m wondering with metallic paints if you don’t get the mixture just right, the metal flakes might concentrate in one spot more than another.

Thanks for your help!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you post some photos of the spots? I have notice some darker spots in my paint but I think its in my ceramic coating.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Can you post some photos of the spots? I have notice some darker spots in my paint but I think its in my ceramic coating.
I will try and snap some pics tomorrow at a time when its lower light. Thats when i seemed to see them. Weird thing is, its not so much the front, hood, side panels. Where I catch it is the bed sides on both sides. So I guess they paint the bed parts separate from the cab, so could be a different batch of paint.

Did you apply your own? Did you have a good experience with it? It wasn't as bad as I thought and I saw a lot of videos that were very prohibitive about it. I got 3/4 of the way done then had to hustle the final 1/4, so maybe thats what is playing in my head that I rushed it a little bit.

I might just be paranoid that I messed it up, but had no point of reference of what a right or wrong result looks like.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will try and snap some pics tomorrow at a time when its lower light. Thats when i seemed to see them. Weird thing is, its not so much the front, hood, side panels. Where I catch it is the bed sides on both sides. So I guess they paint the bed parts separate from the cab, so could be a different batch of paint.

Did you apply your own? Did you have a good experience with it? It wasn't as bad as I thought and I saw a lot of videos that were very prohibitive about it. I got 3/4 of the way done then had to hustle the final 1/4, so maybe thats what is playing in my head that I rushed it a little bit.

I might just be paranoid that I messed it up, but had no point of reference of what a right or wrong result looks like.
My application went fairly smooth. Worked good on all the paint/glass/trim/plastic materials. I took a couple days to do it and spent most of the time doing paint correction. I saw your photos in another thread and as far as I can see nothing sticks out on the bedsides.

cervelo15

Reaction score
So here’s some more pics, one shot in broad sunlight and the other in the shadow. I think I might be going paranoid, or have too much OCD because it seems as time goes on, it’s getting a little better.

Attachments

• 613EA223-41B4-4AED-B174-0FCCA5785E05.jpeg
    613EA223-41B4-4AED-B174-0FCCA5785E05.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 111
  • F37E4F4A-C364-4094-95A1-751D34BA97DE.jpeg
    F37E4F4A-C364-4094-95A1-751D34BA97DE.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 0C0B8569-8C77-4F89-A4E0-9AE666CFFDB5.jpeg
    0C0B8569-8C77-4F89-A4E0-9AE666CFFDB5.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 110

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So here’s some more pics, one shot in broad sunlight and the other in the shadow. I think I might be going paranoid, or have too much OCD because it seems as time goes on, it’s getting a little better.
To me, it looks like a flawless bedside. However pictures don’t typically do justice to small details like you are probably seeing. I can see anything glaringly wrong!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a granite crystal van and after a wash and wax that’s pretty much how it looks .

cervelo15

Reaction score
To me, it looks like a flawless bedside. However pictures don’t typically do justice to small details like you are probably seeing. I can see anything glaringly wrong!
Thanks, thats why I think I am going crazy. It's weird, when I took my daughter to practice at the local school, the sun was just peeking over the building and hitting my truck. And it looked a little dark in spots. On the ride home, it looked flawless.

I have a granite crystal van and after a wash and wax that’s pretty much how it looks .
I think I'm starting to accept that. I'm no expert, but I know when I used to build models as a kid, if you didn't get metallic paint spreayed on just right, it runs and the metal flecks collect in one spot, making it a darker spot.

All in all, not to toot my own horn, I think the paint is just so clear its highlighting that there may be an inconsistency in the paint.

Thanks for your responses!

cervelo15

Reaction score
How did you prep the surface prior to applying the Adams coating?
I did a 2 bucket wash, then clay bar, then polish. Did a wipe down after polish then applied the coating.

The water sheeting is ridiculous! Drove through some stuff on my way to Florida and it sheeted the water without having to put wipers on.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I did a 2 bucket wash, then clay bar, then polish. Did a wipe down after polish then applied the coating.

The water sheeting is ridiculous! Drove through some stuff on my way to Florida and it sheeted the water without having to put wipers on.
Sounds like you prepped properly. Coating should be good as long as you followed directions exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread