5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about auto-dimming mirrors

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Currently in a 2010 Tundra and looking to upgrade.

Yesterday I drove a 2019 Sierra Denali so I could compare it to the Silverado and Ram Limited, which I had already driven while waiting for a Denali to appear.

2019 Ram wins for many reasons, mostly for instrument panel layout readability (Sierra was oh so nice, but the instrument panel was way too "busy," requiring me to take too much time from the view out the windshield to feel comfortable), and ease of entry with the Ram's air suspension.
The GM trucks seemed very wide, with their squared-off sheet metal, and I never really felt comfortable that I was centered in my lane.

So before I finalize my option decisions for the Ram, I need to know about the auto-dimming outside mirrors. I do not tow, and do not want the tow mirrors, so this question pertains to the non-tow power folding outside mirrors.
Do both driver and passenger side mirrors dim?

The local salespeople could not tell me with any degree of certainty, could not demonstrate, and I could not find where to shine the very bright LED light that I carry to make even the inside mirror go dim.

Any insight from owners of the non-tow power folding mirrors would be helpful and appreciated.

Steve

Ickabod

Reaction score
Currently in a 2010 Tundra and looking to upgrade.

Yesterday I drove a 2019 Sierra Denali so I could compare it to the Silverado and Ram Limited, which I had already driven while waiting for a Denali to appear.

2019 Ram wins for many reasons, mostly for instrument panel layout readability (Sierra was oh so nice, but the instrument panel was way too "busy," requiring me to take too much time from the view out the windshield to feel comfortable), and ease of entry with the Ram's air suspension.
The GM trucks seemed very wide, with their squared-off sheet metal, and I never really felt comfortable that I was centered in my lane.

So before I finalize my option decisions for the Ram, I need to know about the auto-dimming outside mirrors. I do not tow, and do not want the tow mirrors, so this question pertains to the non-tow power folding outside mirrors.
Do both driver and passenger side mirrors dim?

The local salespeople could not tell me with any degree of certainty, could not demonstrate, and I could not find where to shine the very bright LED light that I carry to make even the inside mirror go dim.

Any insight from owners of the non-tow power folding mirrors would be helpful and appreciated.

Steve

According to my build sheet, mine comes with "Auto Dim Exterior Driver Mirror". It does not say anything about the passenger mirror.
This is what the manual says:
"The driver’s outside mirror will automatically adjust for glare from vehicles behind you. This feature is controlled by the inside automatic dimming mirror and will automatically adjust for headlight glare when the inside mirror adjusts."

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To my knowledge very few vehicles have all 3 mirrors dim. Ram only has driver and rearview.

stevj

Reaction score
Thanks for the build sheet and manual extract. Guess I should have mentioned I have a copy of the online pdf version of the manual.
Since there can be a significant time lag between writing the manual and actually publishing it for human consumption, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had noticed if their passenger side mirror was a dimming mirror, even though the manual implies that it is not.
The local RAM sales staff is not up to snuff about their product and all my internet searching has not answered this question.

My 2010 Tundra has dimming exterior mirrors both sides.

Steve

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To my knowledge very few vehicles have all 3 mirrors dim. Ram only has driver and rearview.

I know my 2014 Outdoorsman dims all 3 mirrors but as you said only the drivers and rear view does now.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee dims all 3, I would hope a 2019 does too. Good insight

stevj

Reaction score
Yeah. My 2000 Grand Cherokee dims all 3 as well.

Thank you all for your responses.
Not long after I posted my question, I found an online option list (of unknown vintage, because it contains options not available on the build-it site) for the 2019 Ram Limited that reads:

MIRRORS, EXTERIOR —
"— 6-x9-inch, powered, chrome, power-folding, heated, auto-dimming,
multifunctional, convex wide-angle insert; includes exterior courtesy lamps,
supplemental turn signal, position memory"

which implies both exterior mirrors will dim.

Steve

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
My understanding is that Longhorn/Limited have both auto-dim, the rest of the lineup has just the driver side one auto-dim.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question for anyone with higher trims that have the auto-dimming rear view and side mirrors: How is the on screen (12") button supposed to work? I played with it extensively driving early this morning and cannot figure out what Ram intended and the manual doesn't help.

You can tap the icon to turn it blue and again to make it white (default) but I can't tell which is on or off since the mirrors were dimming and un-dimming on either setting. Tapping the button doesn't appear to do anything in daylight so I had to wait until this morning to fool with it. I also can't figure out where the sensor is for the dimming since my mirror does not look like either in the manual.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question for anyone with higher trims that have the auto-dimming rear view and side mirrors: How is the on screen (12") button supposed to work? I played with it extensively driving early this morning and cannot figure out what Ram intended and the manual doesn't help.

You can tap the icon to turn it blue and again to make it white (default) but I can't tell which is on or off since the mirrors were dimming and un-dimming on either setting. Tapping the button doesn't appear to do anything in daylight so I had to wait until this morning to fool with it. I also can't figure out where the sensor is for the dimming since my mirror does not look like either in the manual.

Blue - On
White: Off

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks.
So can you explain why mine dims when off? UConnect bug?
Global warming? :p

No idea, although I will tell you to turn it off and on and wait a few minutes to see the change....I cycled mine the other day and the outside mirrors take some time to change states

Users who are viewing this thread