5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality control issues list and questions regarding my 2019 1500. Please help.

Tbjbu

Reaction score
First, thank you all for your posts and constant updates. This site has been a godsend in supplying TSB's and references when dealing with the service dept at my Ram dealership. I just posted in another thread regarding downshifting errors, and after listing all the problems I've experienced I wanted to create a post to see if all the issues I've had are common to most people or if I should pursue some sort of buy back or increased warranty from Ram. I have a 2019 Laramie 1500 V8 4x2 with 40k miles. All freeway or highway miles. Oil is changed every 4k miles by dealership and the truck is all stock from dealership. No heavy towing or off roading So far my issues have been.
1) Rear axle flex causing the brake growl. Sounded like a wounded wookie everytime I backed out of my driveway. Neighbors loved it. Fixed with TSB by dealership.
2) Driver mirror motor burned out @ 2700k miles. Replaced under warranty.
3) Passenger side mirror is now having issues opening and closing. Out of warranty and the quote for it to be replaced was absurd.
4) Rear Window Frame Defect. Had two cracks in the frame and had to have it replaced. Dealership wanted me to cover partial costs, but was covered after talking with a few people at the dealership. (got some suggestions thanks to this site)
5) Back right passenger speaker near rear window now has an occasional rattle which started after the Rear window was replaced. Dealership can't reproduce so still in talks.
6) Tailgate release issue. Tailgate wouldn't release when attempting to open. Cables were replaced to make sure they matched length by dealership. Works better but not perfect.
7) Both exhaust manifolds were cracked around 30k miles and needed to be replaced. Dealership took care of it after a 2 week wait to get parts.
8) Passenger side exhaust manifold looks to be cracked again at 40k miles, possible issues with drivers side as well. How this is possible I have no clue.
9) Downshifting issue where the transmission slips to neutral, flashing lights on knob control and error message tells me to move the dial to Park before I can engage Drive, while driving. This has been by far the most frustrating and dangerous of them all. So far I've had this issues twice while pulling onto a freeway and four or five times while driving on the highway or side streets. Usually occurs when a rolling stop and then acceleration, occurs around 5-10 miles an hr. One instance almost caused a pile up as the cars behind me were all accelerating as I rolled to a stop. I've supplied dealership with video evidence of it occurring once, but as they couldn't find any error codes and couldn't reproduce I had no recourse.

Does this seem normal for one truck to have all of these issues or did I win the lotto here? This is my first Ram and I know this is the first year of the 5thgen body types, and that there are always issues, but this seems absurd. My previous 2001 GMC SLT Yukon w/ 280k miles on it. Car was in the service dept 3 times all for minor issues, a bad abs unit and one bad fuel pump. I really love this truck, but I'm getting to a point looking forward the future looks grim. After all, if I've had all these problems before 45k miles, what can I expect after 70k? 90k? How is it possible for a MSRP $65k + truck to have these kind of issues? @RamCares is there anything you can help me with here?

jljbtm

Reaction score
just how are TSBs handled at a dealer, I'm out of warranty but don't think I have any?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just how are TSBs handled at a dealer, I'm out of warranty but don't think I have any?
Huh? If it's a warranty repair they fix it. Out of warranty you pay or they goodwill it. You have powertrain coverage until 60k miles, that covers a manifold issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TSB are just service bulletins to make it easier for technicians to diagnose "common" issues. If you are out of warranty you are out of warranty. you don't "have" TSBs to get checked. They will only be referenced if you have specific symptoms related to them.

Recalls are safety issues that are covered regardless of warranty.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First, thank you all for your posts and constant updates. This site has been a godsend in supplying TSB's and references when dealing with the service dept at my Ram dealership. I just posted in another thread regarding downshifting errors, and after listing all the problems I've experienced I wanted to create a post to see if all the issues I've had are common to most people or if I should pursue some sort of buy back or increased warranty from Ram. I have a 2019 Laramie 1500 V8 4x2 with 40k miles. All freeway or highway miles. Oil is changed every 4k miles by dealership and the truck is all stock from dealership. No heavy towing or off roading So far my issues have been.
1) Rear axle flex causing the brake growl. Sounded like a wounded wookie everytime I backed out of my driveway. Neighbors loved it. Fixed with TSB by dealership.
3) Passenger side mirror is now having issues opening and closing. Out of warranty and the quote for it to be replaced was absurd.
4) Rear Window Frame Defect. Had two cracks in the frame and had to have it replaced. Dealership wanted me to cover partial costs, but was covered after talking with a few people at the dealership. (got some suggestions thanks to this site)
5) Back right passenger speaker near rear window now has an occasional rattle which started after the Rear window was replaced. Dealership can't reproduce so still in talks.
6) Tailgate release issue. Tailgate wouldn't release when attempting to open. Cables were replaced to make sure they matched length by dealership. Works better but not perfect.
7) Both exhaust manifolds were cracked around 30k miles and needed to be replaced. Dealership took care of it after a 2 week wait to get parts.
8) Passenger side exhaust manifold looks to be cracked again at 40k miles, possible issues with drivers side as well. How this is possible I have no clue.
9) Downshifting issue where the transmission slips to neutral, flashing lights on knob control and error message tells me to move the dial to Park before I can engage Drive, while driving. This has been by far the most frustrating and dangerous of them all. So far I've had this issues twice while pulling onto a freeway and four or five times while driving on the highway or side streets. Usually occurs when a rolling stop and then acceleration, occurs around 5-10 miles an hr. One instance almost caused a pile up as the cars behind me were all accelerating as I rolled to a stop. I've supplied dealership with video evidence of it occurring once, but as they couldn't find any error codes and couldn't reproduce I had no recourse.

Does this seem normal for one truck to have all of these issues or did I win the lotto here? This is my first Ram and I know this is the first year of the 5thgen body types, and that there are always issues, but this seems absurd. My previous 2001 GMC SLT Yukon w/ 280k miles on it. Car was in the service dept 3 times all for minor issues, a bad abs unit and one bad fuel pump. I really love this truck, but I'm getting to a point looking forward the future looks grim. After all, if I've had all these problems before 45k miles, what can I expect after 70k? 90k? How is it possible for a MSRP $65k + truck to have these kind of issues? @RamCares is there anything you can help me with here?
Hey there,

We'd love to look into this with you. Would you mind sending us a DM with a link to your post so that we can get you connected with a case manager?

Callie
Ram Cares

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about all the problems you’re having . There certainly were more than a few people to have the rear window leak . I have a 2019 Rebel since new and haven’t had one issue with it ( knock on wood ) . This is my 3rd Ram with the Hemi and I haven’t experienced the exhaust manifold cracks with any of them . The transmission issue I think I’ve read about on hear from a couple members . Hopefully one of them can give some incite on the fix .

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Huh? If it's a warranty repair they fix it. Out of warranty you pay or they goodwill it. You have powertrain coverage until 60k miles, that covers a manifold issue.
@Cbty2050 Yeah, I'm aware of the 60k, just worried about having to have them replaced already once and now the rattle is back. I'm more worried about what this will cost me due to poor design after the 60k.

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Hey there,

We'd love to look into this with you. Would you mind sending us a DM with a link to your post so that we can get you connected with a case manager?

Callie
Ram Cares
Thanks for reaching out Callie,

Just DM'd you.

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all the problems you’re having . There certainly were more than a few people to have the rear window leak . I have a 2019 Rebel since new and haven’t had one issue with it ( knock on wood ) . This is my 3rd Ram with the Hemi and I haven’t experienced the exhaust manifold cracks with any of them . The transmission issue I think I’ve read about on hear from a couple members . Hopefully one of them can give some incite on the fix .
Glad you haven't had the leak issue yet! Was a pain to get the actual parts and took awhile. Lol, I feel like my trucks in the shop more than my drive way. I've found a few other threads about the transmission issue. Looks like some people have luck replacing the valve casing, while others it seems to be electronic. Whatever the issue, it's a jolt of adrenaline when it happens and you're merging in traffic.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tbjbu: "Does this seem normal for one truck to have all of these issues or did I win the lotto here? This is my first Ram and I know this is the first year of the 5thgen body types, and that there are always issues, but this seems absurd. "
Yeah, that list of issues is absurd, you did win the bad lotto.
I'm really sorry you have had so much trouble with your Ram. I'm not trying to rub it in at all, but my 2020 Ram has been absolutely flawless form day one. Only two minor recalls so far and no quality issues at all. I know I got exceedingly lucky, for which I am grateful. I send this reply just so you know yours was a luck-of-the-draw thing, there are plenty of 5th-gen Rams that have had no issues.
It's too late for your situation, but in the future maybe look for a new Ram that has a small sticker at the bottom of the driver's window, near the door lock, that looks something like the attached photo. That means the truck was pulled from the line after final assembly and gone over with a fine-tooth comb by a separate quality team, which does increase the chances that they will catch & repair issues that might have otherwise just gone straight to shipping.
I wish you the best in getting everything resolved.
WP_20200307_10_01_36_Pro (4).jpg

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Tbjbu: "Does this seem normal for one truck to have all of these issues or did I win the lotto here? This is my first Ram and I know this is the first year of the 5thgen body types, and that there are always issues, but this seems absurd. "
Yeah, that list of issues is absurd, you did win the bad lotto.
I'm really sorry you have had so much trouble with your Ram. I'm not trying to rub it in at all, but my 2020 Ram has been absolutely flawless form day one. Only two minor recalls so far and no quality issues at all. I know I got exceedingly lucky, for which I am grateful. I send this reply just so you know yours was a luck-of-the-draw thing, there are plenty of 5th-gen Rams that have had no issues.
It's too late for your situation, but in the future maybe look for a new Ram that has a small sticker at the bottom of the driver's window, near the door lock, that looks something like the attached photo. That means the truck was pulled from the line after final assembly and gone over with a fine-tooth comb by a separate quality team, which does increase the chances that they will catch & repair issues that might have otherwise just gone straight to shipping.
I wish you the best in getting everything resolved.
View attachment 147944 I'm glad you've had an issue free experience so far! Thanks for responding, I'm just opening up a ticket with RamCares right now. I'm unsure of what my next steps will be or what options I will have. I know lemon laws or only applicable if the shop can't fix an issue after three attempts. I'm just nervous as hell about what will happen once my warranty is out if I have a subpar product.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't get my hopes up with RamCares, they say all the right words to make you feel loved, but to my knowledge, that's all they do - comforting words but no results that help the users. I hope they prove me wrong, but don't et your hope up until they actually deliver for you.
If your truck is as bad as you've described, and you can't use your state's lemon law to get rid of it, maybe you can negotiate with Ram to give you an extended warranty, say 7 yrs and 125,000 miles, a genuine Mopar factory warranty.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow. The only ones you’re missing are the dead battery one and the engine dying during a turn.

Patience of Job…

Tbjbu

Reaction score
I wouldn't get my hopes up with RamCares, they say all the right words to make you feel loved, but to my knowledge, that's all they do - comforting words but no results that help the users. I hope they prove me wrong, but don't et your hope up until they actually deliver for you.
If your truck is as bad as you've described, and you can't use your state's lemon law to get rid of it, maybe you can negotiate with Ram to give you an extended warranty, say 7 yrs and 125,000 miles, a genuine Mopar factory warranty.
It's as bad as I've described. Already feeling the lack of actual help from Ram Cares. Seems they can open cases which is an important step of escalation, but won't happen till I actually get a new service apt and then have the new problems logged. Any suggestion about how I'd contact ram to negotiate this? Thanks

Tbjbu

Reaction score
Wow. The only ones you’re missing are the dead battery one and the engine dying during a turn.

Patience of Job…
Yep... Glad I don't have the engine dying. Wish I had a bingo board that gave me a new truck once I filled them all in. Feels like this many issues and ram should just offer a replacement vehicle.

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

Jeff1322

Reaction score

The list of problems with my 2019 big horn are not nearly as long as yours and I considered seriously about trading it off. My dealership had been very good about fixing the issues and after 11 trips to the dealer they have successfully fixed all the issues. I am now considering keeping the truck especially after all the inconvenience I have suffered with all these repairs. I think the efforts of the service department are the key to satisfaction. After reading this forum I considered my truck to have "first out generation" issues but also "pandemic build" issues. I also have never owned a vehicle with this many problems but it concerns me that most brands are suffering from build problems never seen before. I am currently scanning the classic truck dealers looking for the tried and true features. The operator conveniences built into these new vehicles come with heavy compromises in performance.

Users who are viewing this thread