5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pypes M80 Rattle during cold start.

rceagle1a

Reaction score
I have a Pypes M80 version B2 muffler I got back in early August, I now have a nasty rattle during cold starts until exhaust warms up, but rattle is starting to be there all the time. Is there any fix for this other than warranty? If not I’ll contact Matt for replacement, WON’T replace with a pypes after this even though I like sound, Hopefully I can swap for a Magnaflow, B2 May want to find a better muffler with similar sound to the pypes muffler.

B2 Fabrication

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hi,
I am sorry you are having trouble, I am pretty sure I sent you a replacement exhaust right away. I also sent you a return label for the other one so I can figure out what went wrong. Can you please send it back to me?
Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

tcm4950

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I am sorry you are having trouble, I am pretty sure I sent you a replacement exhaust right away. I also sent you a return label for the other one so I can figure out what went wrong. Can you please send it back to me?
Thanks,
Matt

Great customer service!

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rattle IS coming from muffler by the way.
Hi,
Thanks,
Matt
i'm having this same issue... i thought it was an exhaust leak though, so i put JB weld around the connections like a dummy... now i doubt i can get the muffler off. never had an issue like this before. sounds terrible on a cold start

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my Magnaflow from B2 fabrication. The clamp is completely maxed out and there is a lot of play at the clamp between the two connecting pipes that I assume is causing the "rattle". It does it at startup and idling at lights. Makes my nice new truck sound like its already falling apart. I reached out to Matt and he did respond pretty quick however the solution was to go out and buy a few washers to put on the bolt for the exhaust clamp so I am able to tighten it more. I am not one to complain but I feel after spending $285 I should not be having to now run out and buy additional washers to make something fit properly. Matt did state that he would send me another clamp but that it likely would not fix the issue because all the clamps are the same. So again I am left with a heavily rattling exhaust unless I go out and buy extra pieces to possibly fix the problem. I know there are a lot of happy B2 fab customers out there so I dont want to discourage anyone but none the less I cant say that I am at the moment. As a comparison I had the Carven cut and clamp before I switched to the magnaflow with zero issues or rattle so I know its not a loose heat shield or someting else im hearing.

Last edited:

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my Magnaflow from B2 fabrication. The clamp is completely maxed out and there is a lot of play at the clamp between the two connecting pipes that I assume is causing the "rattle". It does it at startup and idling at lights. Makes my nice new truck sound like its already falling apart. I reached out to Matt and he did respond pretty quick however the solution was to go out and buy a few washers to put on the bolt for the exhaust clamp so I am able to tighten it more. I am not one to complain but I feel after spending $285 I should not be having to now run out and buy additional washers to make something fit properly. Matt did state that he would send me another clamp but that it likely would not fix the issue because all the clamps are the same. So again I am left with a heavily rattling exhaust unless I go out and buy extra pieces to possibly fix the problem. I know there are a lot of happy B2 fab customers out there so I dont want to discourage anyone but none the less I cant say that I am at the moment. As a comparison I had the Carven cut and clamp before I switched to the magnaflow with zero issues or rattle so I know its not a loose heat shield or someting else im hearing.
i had the same issue along with mine as well. how much did you cut when you cut the stock muffler off? My suggestion would be to take it apart, and use some hi temp gasket sealer made by pemaflex. I used the "copper" colored one - get it at autozone/advanced auto. And make sure the tailpipes are seated into the magnaflow pipe as far as possible. He sent me a new Pypes M80 (the aggressive style one) because the pypes have an issue in the muffler as well (on top of the exhaust leak), and i noticed that the end of the pipe on the new one is a little bit longer than the old one so it seats into the tailpipe end more to prevent a leak. so far, so good.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s comparison pics of the old vs new to see how they’re made

Attachments

• 0A6731B0-E739-46E7-A98B-0A5B994FE7E3.jpeg
    0A6731B0-E739-46E7-A98B-0A5B994FE7E3.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 47CA588B-5539-4CDC-A361-58C233C1EA73.jpeg
    47CA588B-5539-4CDC-A361-58C233C1EA73.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 52

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
i had the same issue along with mine as well. how much did you cut when you cut the stock muffler off? My suggestion would be to take it apart, and use some hi temp gasket sealer made by pemaflex. I used the "copper" colored one - get it at autozone/advanced auto. And make sure the tailpipes are seated into the magnaflow pipe as far as possible. He sent me a new Pypes M80 (the aggressive style one) because the pypes have an issue in the muffler as well (on top of the exhaust leak), and i noticed that the end of the pipe on the new one is a little bit longer than the old one so it seats into the tailpipe end more to prevent a leak. so far, so good.

Thanks for the reply. Cut it exactly at 1 1/4". It appears that I have no leak at the connection and there is no moisture or hissing sound at all. If I push up on the exhaust at the connections I can literally see the stock pipe sliding in and out a little, pointing me to the fact that the clamp is simply not tight enough even with the threads maxed out. I assume that there should be absolutely no movement between the two pipes if they were clamped sufficiently unless I am wrong. I highly doubt its an internal issue with the muffler but im not ruling it out. Seems to me though that the rattle would 100% be due to those two pipes not being firmly clamped.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Cut it exactly at 1 1/4". It appears that I have no leak at the connection and there is no moisture or hissing sound at all. If I push up on the exhaust at the connections I can literally see the stock pipe sliding in and out a little, pointing me to the fact that the clamp is simply not tight enough even with the threads maxed out. I assume that there should be absolutely no movement between the two pipes if they were clamped sufficiently unless I am wrong. I highly doubt its an internal issue with the muffler but im not ruling it out. Seems to me though that the rattle would 100% be due to those two pipes not being firmly clamped.

I would get underneath after you start it up with some good gloves and listen for the rattle and stabilize different parts of the exhaust. Sometimes the exhaust can shift, especially near the Y pipe after the muffler where it isn’t supported as well with hangars. If it shifts it can be rattling against a metal part on the chassis, which is a mopar design. That can be adjusted by moving the pipe by hand and tightening up / adjusting the hangars a bit. You could also use some SS zip ties in certain areas if there is slack. If it is not that and you can narrow it down to the connection/clamp you are referring to, I would also suggest adding a washer or two AND some liberal amount of permatex copper silicone around the joint while you are reclamping it. Worst case scenario, if that is where your rattle is and you don’t want to deal with the washers or it still doesn’t work, you can consider having a muffler shop weld it for like $25-$50. I know this isn’t ideal and you would rather not be messing with it, I’m just trying to provide some options and solutions.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
good suggestions. in addition to that, you can use a mirror or the lens of a flashlight to see if theres an exhaust leak by moving it around the connection and seeing if it fogs up (like a bathroom mirror after a shower). Youll know right away where the leak is after that. I was able to confirm mine leaked at the same spot youre describing by doing that

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
I will most certainly try all the feedback given and see if I can rule out any other areas it could be rattling but im fairly certain Its at the clamp. Not thrilled about having to spend more time trying to make what was supposed to be a simple "cut and clamp" work, but it is what it is. I will report back my findings if I figure it out.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will most certainly try all the feedback given and see if I can rule out any other areas it could be rattling but im fairly certain Its at the clamp. Not thrilled about having to spend more time trying to make what was supposed to be a simple "cut and clamp" work, but it is what it is. I will report back my findings if I figure it out.
good luck!!

B2 Fabrication

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been giving this some thought...
I think maybe the clamps are having a hard time clamping down around the stainless because the clamp is too far up on the pipe. It is very hard, if not impossible for the clamp to tighten down if it is not over the slotted part of the tube. The slots are 1" long, the clamp is 1 1/4" wide, therefor if you slide the clamp all the way up the tube you are essentially trying to clamp 1/4" of round un-slotted tube along with the 1" of slotted part. I think the clamp is having a hard time doing this and in overworking the clamp it may be stretching the band, or the bolt, or whatever.
Please see the following pictures, if you slide the factory tube into the muffler tube all the way (or at least past the slots) Then put the clamp on the black line it will probably work just fine, putting the clamp to the red line would be the problem area.

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

What do you guys think about that solution? I tried it here at the shop and it seemed to make a real difference. I am happy to send new clamps to anyone who needs them.
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 15

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Ok so just getting back in touch. My rattle is 100% confirmed due to the clamp. I tried the clamp in several locations and initially had it at the correct marked spot that Matt refrenced. However what seems to have happend in my case was that once the nut hit a certain spot when tightening, the nut itself stripped and would not sufficiently thread enough to tighten...I rigged it up to tighten suffeciently and the rattle is completely gone but I definitely need a new clamp Matt.

Users who are viewing this thread