5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put in Drive and truck doesn't move

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive had my truck for almost a week now (only 170 miles on it) and for some reason twice today when I started truck and put it into drive it wouldn't move. It almost felt like it was in neutral. Anyone seen or heard of this issue? E brake isnt on, doors are closed and there isnt any codes on the dash?

Johnvan

Reaction score
You're one of many

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're one of many

Great...170 miles on the truck. I didnt go as far as giving it too much gas or feeling oit clunk int gear but another thing I noticed today as well was when I put it into reverse once or twice the back up camera didnt come on...must be some electrical connectivity issue. Taking back to the dealer tomorrow!

RichInMN

Reaction score
This happened to me the very first day with the Ram. Then, you step on the gas and BANG start going.

I disabled my auto parking brake and haven't looked back.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Could be a coincidence, but it hasn't happened to me since I disabled that feature. Pretty common though - a lot of folks have had it happen.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
As JoeyP stated, there's a long thread on this already. In my case, they had to replace the transmission valve body. I printed out the relevant parts of the thread, took two videos when it happened, and showed it to my dealer. It took about two weeks for them to get permission from Dodge to replace it under warranty, but then it was a quick 4-5 hour job. Hasn't happened since.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As JoeyP stated, there's a long thread on this already. In my case, they had to replace the transmission valve body. I printed out the relevant parts of the thread, took two videos when it happened, and showed it to my dealer. It took about two weeks for them to get permission from Dodge to replace it under warranty, but then it was a quick 4-5 hour job. Hasn't happened since.
Ok- this just happened to me...It clunked into gear when I gave it gas. I also took a video as well. Can you please DM me any info so that I can give to the dealer? Thanks

Gtbrown

Reaction score
Well known problem, there are several threads and I believe this TSB 21-050-18 is the fix.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Truck won't move if any door is not fully closed.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck won't move if any door is not fully closed.
Doors are closed....Auto E brake is turned off in settings....I think its the transmission valve body like SynAckul had issue with. The same exact thing happened to me as he described.

AndreiV

Reaction score
Sure you can, but maybe it messing around with other software components.
I used e-brake from day one. Get in the car, buckle before starting it, put in D and R and drive. Once forgot to buckle, so had to manually disengage e-brake, no seat belt, it would not drive, after giving it gas it slammed in to gear... Now always buckle before event starting truck and no issues.
May be i am just smoking

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure you can, but maybe it messing around with other software components.
I used e-brake from day one. Get in the car, buckle before starting it, put in D and R and drive. Once forgot to buckle, so had to manually disengage e-brake, no seat belt, it would not drive, after giving it gas it slammed in to gear... Now always buckle before event starting truck and no issues.
May be i am just smoking
I highly doubt it...I disabled them on my 4th gen as well and never had an issue. This is certainly another issue. maybe if I had messed around the the PCM but that is not the case.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well known problem, there are several threads and I believe this TSB 21-050-18 is the fix.
What is the TSB 21-050-18? I searched the forum and nothing came up...Is it the transmission valve body like mentioned above. Either way truck is already at dealer with 170 miles on her... cant believe it

Gtbrown

Reaction score
What is the TSB 21-050-18? I searched the forum and nothing came up...Is it the transmission valve body like mentioned above. Either way truck is already at dealer with 170 miles on her... cant believe it

I hope this is the right one.....here's a list of available TSB's:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/directory-of-service-bulletins-recalls-ram-1500.775/

My 1500 has a later build date so I didn't note the specific TSB number.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I hope this is the right one.....here's a list of available TSB's:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/directory-of-service-bulletins-recalls-ram-1500.775/

My 1500 has a later build date so I didn't note the specific TSB number.
Thanks...My truck was built in February 2019 so you'd think they would have made these updates during production. I also do not have any dashboard codes illuminated.

Users who are viewing this thread