5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsating transmission

Easye124

Reaction score
Hello, i have a 2019 classic 1500 3.6L that has a pulsation between 0-2 mph. A slow roll like in traffic almost will spill your drink. The weird thing is that if I bring the rpm up to say 1k, it doesn't do it. I swapped the transmission out to another unit from a wrecking yard with similar (70k) mileage and it's doing the same exact thing. it feels the same as warped brake rotors do, and it stops as soon as I put it in neutral. Thoughts?

Easye124

Reaction score
Side note: no check engine light or codes. I have brought it to two independent transmission shops AND a local Chrysler dealer, they all shrugged and said we don't know.

banditsc

Reaction score
Sounds more like a rotating part, like the torque converter or flex plate if neutral stops it.

Easye124

Reaction score
That's what i was thinking when i replaced the tranny. is it typical for an accident to damage the torque converter? is there a procedure to check the tc?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you mean by pulsating? Engine speed changing? Truck speed changing? Frame/body/acoustic vibration?

banditsc

Reaction score
If it was in a hard enough accident you could have broken a balance weight off the torque converter or flex plate, or cracked the flex plate. Also check for any issue with the engine and tranny mounts since it was in a crash.

Easye124

Reaction score
What do you mean by pulsating? Engine speed changing? Truck speed changing? Frame/body/acoustic vibration?
Engine speed stays the same, the truck moves back and forth like it has a big cam in it. If I give it a little gas, it doesn't do it, like going uphill. Like maybe I have to build up line pressure?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what speed the lockup clutch kicks in. Maybe it can't make up its mind?

Easye124

Reaction score
If it was in a hard enough accident you could have broken a balance weight off the torque converter or flex plate, or cracked the flex plate. Also check for any issue with the engine and tranny mounts since it was in a crash.
it wasn't bad enough to pop the airbags, was enough to replace the radiator, cooler, etc. though. Question though, wouldn't i feel a vibration above 2mph if the weight came loose? It stops at 2-3 mph. weird.

Users who are viewing this thread