5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pulsar

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed the Pulsar. Have to run through half a tank of gas before I put it in performance mode. At the moment I am torn if it is worth it or not, though I can tell a difference in more than just throttle response. I'll roll with it for a couple weeks before deciding. Really anxious to see performance mode, and having the speedometer corrected is nice.

Ran into a small issue though. One of the original bolts holding the pcm rolled and fell in one of the holes in the front cover and I can't find it anywhere. Didn't see it in the concrete or grass and tried to find it for about 45 minutes with no luck. Really need to have it in case I decide to pull it off or have to bring it in for warranty work. Anybody have one they don't want? Or is there a part number? I know I can find one at the hardware store that fits but then they don't match and I would be telling on myself.

19 streak

Reaction score
I'm really interested in tuning for a few reasons. One being it would be nice to shut off mds but I heard the pulsar is just a trick to shutting it off and not actually disabling it, two would be to shut off traction control completely (which I don't think any of them do yet), 3 would be to adjust tire size, and forth would be to help with the lazy pedal of course. I'm interested to hear your feedback on the performance setting.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm really interested in tuning for a few reasons. One being it would be nice to shut off mds but I heard the pulsar is just a trick to shutting it off and not actually disabling it, two would be to shut off traction control completely (which I don't think any of them do yet), 3 would be to adjust tire size, and forth would be to help with the lazy pedal of course. I'm interested to hear your feedback on the performance setting.
1. The Pulsar doesn't actually disable mds. It just gives it a slight throttle whenever it kicks in to disengage it. This is the surging that some people have talked about. I still just disable the mds with the steering wheel control.
2. Pulsar doesn't do anything for the traction control. It would take a true tune to be able to do such a thing, which aren't out yet.
3. Being able to adjust tire size was my biggest reason for getting it. A regular programmer for tires would have only saved me $200 so I figured I would try this because of the combination of the pedal response which brings me to...
4. It definitely increases the pedal response, or decreases it if you put it on economy. Haven't really played with it in performance mode, though I did put it on once to see the difference. I will wait until I fill up with 93 to try it anymore.

After driving it to work this morning, I'm not so sure it does more than just play with the pedal when you switch through the tunes. Maybe a slight gain but it's hard to tell. If somebody didn't need to calibrate for bigger tires, you probably get 95% of what the Pulsar does with a Pedal Commander instead.

I get my green filter in tomorrow and will remove the extra restrictive charcoal filter out of the air box when I put it in. I'll drive it for a week or so and decide if I want to keep the Pulsar or not.

Users who are viewing this thread