5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proximity warning when trailer hooked up - need help

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I tried hooking up a trailer to my Limited for the first time. Even though I plugged in my trailer (7 pin connector) when I put the truck in reverse, the proximity warning sounded. When tried to back up, the auto braking slammed on the brakes. I tried turning on the tow/haul mode but that had no effect.

Why does my truck think think my trailer is an obstacle? How do I convince the vehicle that having a trailer hooked up is okay and a collision is not imminent?

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
Per the owner's manual: If you have the integrated trailer brake controller and you connect a trailer with electric brakes, the truck will automatically disable rear park sense. Otherwise you have to turn off rear park sense manually when you tow.

I checked my manual but didn't see that. Not to mention that I should have realized the obvious...turn off the rear park sense. Sorry, guys.

Anyway, my truck has the integrated brake controller and my trailer has electric brakes so rear park sense should have been automatically disabled. Sounds like it's a trip to the dealer to have that fixed...I got the truck just 4 days ago so it's not a good sign that I'm already into the dealer for a malfunction.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure all of the trailer connections were working correctly?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you plug in your trailer without backing up to it first? Didn’t the warning sound, before you got out to plug in your trailer?

I tow my boat often, every time I go to back up to the hitch I have that STFU moment when the warning sounds, turn it off and resume backing up.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish there was a dedicated button on the dash. It's a pain to navigate through the settings for off then again for on. I tow a cargo trailer 1-2 days a week.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
Are you sure all of the trailer connections were working correctly?

I didn't check all the lights but the running lights on the trailer were on and I've never had any issue with all of the lights working on the trailer when hooked to my old tow vehicle. But, I'll hook up the trailer and check to see if all lights work.

Ooops, you're right. I was looking at an older Ram 1500 manual. I don't see anything in the 2019 manual.

No worries. I still should have thought of the obvious: turn off the damned sensor.

How did you plug in your trailer without backing up to it first? Didn’t the warning sound, before you got out to plug in your trailer

Sure. And it was annoying. I figured it would stop once the trailer was plugged in. While flipping the switch to turn the rear prox warning off is easy enough, remembering to turn it back on after the trailer is disconnected is a hit or miss thing. I want the prox warning with auto braking to be always on except when the trailer is connected and it looks like once it is manually turned off, it doesn't default to ON when the ignition is cycled. It stays OFF until turned on again manually.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I wish there was a dedicated button on the dash. It's a pain to navigate through the settings for off then again for on. I tow a cargo trailer 1-2 days a week.

There is a dedicated button. It's at the bottom of the screen but not part of the screen. It's a real switch, not a virtual switch. At least with the 12" screen.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a dedicated button. It's at the bottom of the screen but not part of the screen. It's a real switch, not a virtual switch. At least with the 12" screen.
Thanks. Another button to discover on my Limited. I'll take a look tomorrow. That dang warning sound is so annoying I couldn't think straight! :LOL:

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't check all the lights but the running lights on the trailer were on and I've never had any issue with all of the lights working on the trailer when hooked to my old tow vehicle. But, I'll hook up the trailer and check to see if all lights work.

No worries. I still should have thought of the obvious: turn off the damned sensor.

Sure. And it was annoying. I figured it would stop once the trailer was plugged in. While flipping the switch to turn the rear prox warning off is easy enough, remembering to turn it back on after the trailer is disconnected is a hit or miss thing. I want the prox warning with auto braking to be always on except when the trailer is connected and it looks like once it is manually turned off, it doesn't default to ON when the ignition is cycled. It stays OFF until turned on again manually.

Yes, it works exactly how intended so you don’t have to turn it off time and time again when you make stops. There are indicators to let you know that it is off so it will remind you.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since 11/6/18. Can't believe I didn't find that backup sense on/off button. Lol.
The first time I hooked up my boat I had the same problem. I went all through the UConnect settings looking for a way to turn it off. My son jumped in the trucked, saw the button, said "what's this", and hit it......it worked. Of course, I had already backed the boat out of the driveway and had backed it up at the ramp and dumped it; the whole time cursing the warning that kept going off. Imagine that; a real button to switch it off.

Rich

Reaction score
IMHO, the RAM 1500 should detect when you have a trailer connected, via EITHER the 4 pin or the 7 pin connector, it can then disable the rear park sense.

I tow a light snowmobile trailer with LED lights that only has a 4 pin trailer light connector, and the truck doesn't seem to know it's connected. I'm going to talk to my dealer about fixing this.

Even our Ford Escape knows when a 4 pin trailer is connected, and it will even let you know and give you a warning if some of the trailer lights are not working!

The RAM should know if any trailer (4 or 7 pin, brakes or not) is connected and it should automatically turn off the rear park sense as well as start the trailering trip odometer. Perhaps RAM is behind the boat on this one?

Users who are viewing this thread