5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Programming new key fob

jeff8428

Reaction score
I lost one of my key fobs and went on eBay and bought one. I am now being told by the dealer that the keys cannot be reprogrammed to a different truck. Anyone know if this is correct or if there is a way to reset them . I figured I would have to pay to reprogram both keys but don't see why this can't be done. Anyone have this same problem

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I lost one of my key fobs and went on eBay and bought one. I am now being told by the dealer that the keys cannot be reprogrammed to a different truck. Anyone know if this is correct or if there is a way to reset them . I figured I would have to pay to reprogram both keys but don't see why this can't be done. Anyone have this same problem
It is in owner's manual that the FOB can not be reprogrammed, page 32.

Replacement Keys
NOTE: Only key fobs that are programmed to the vehicle
electronics can be used to start and operate the vehicle.
Once a key fob is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be
programmed to any other vehicle.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is or becoming a universal issue. In the last year I've had two acquaintances with vehicles other than FCA acquire FOBs off of Craigs List only to find that once programmed, cannot be reprogramed for another vehicle.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020514 miles.

Jako

Reaction score
This is or becoming a universal issue. In the last year I've had two acquaintances with vehicles other than FCA acquire FOBs off of Craigs List only to find that once programmed, cannot be reprogramed for another vehicle.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 020514 miles.
A 2006 Honda Accord key cost me $200 at the dealer a few years back. There was probably a cheaper work around but time was not on my side.
What is this key FOB going to cost? Are there work arounds? Is the dealer the only option?

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 2006 Honda Accord key cost me $200 at the dealer a few years back. There was probably a cheaper work around but time was not on my side.
What is this key FOB going to cost? Are there work arounds? Is the dealer the only option?
You may want to check your warranty plan. If I recall correctly I think I have a $600 claim limit (no deductible) on keyfob repair or replacement under the extended warranty mopar plan. So, your warranty terms may be able to get you a replacement.

v_eight

Reaction score
Batteries Plus Bulbs does keys now. I would check with them if you have one locally. My local one has been able to help a bunch with different key situations!

Gtunit03

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat lol bought one on EBay and My dealer said they can try but I will have to pay either way if successful or not

Georgf

Reaction score
Did anyone find a way to program a used key from ebay?

Georgf

Reaction score
With correct device you can reprogram it, youtube 2019 RAM 1500 reprogram key fob.
Thanks, but i found only video shows programming key fobs, were deleted before. Are you sure it works with used, undeleted from another Ram keys?

Jako

Reaction score
Found my answer in January 2023 while getting a key made for in laws car but I had put it in a different thread.
Mopar bed light kit installation
"Locksmith quoted me $350, $50 for a chipped key for a 2003 Gran Marquis."

In another thread I believe I had quoted something other, unfortunately I can not recall that thread to make a correction.

I have no connection to PAYLESS other than having a key made and getting a quote for a Ram FOB. It is located a few blocks from exits on the Staten Island Expressway (TOTAL misnomer) for those passing through or in the area that need a FOB.

Attachments

• Key FOB.jpg
    Key FOB.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/