5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price Increases on UCAs

marin

Reaction score
I am currently in the market for UCA. I started to piece together the suspension after reading quite a bit of others experience on here. While shopping, I noticed that Icon and Total Chaos do things at the same time, when I started looking they were both selling UCA at around $750-$775 and today they increased another $50 to $900. I get supply and demand and popularity but at what point are they no longer worth it. At this point, UCAs are more than decent shocks/struts. I understand the quality debate as well but the reality is the most of us will never really use the capabilities of an Icon Stage 5 or similar King setups (This is similar to buying a 8K tv but there is no streaming 8K content to watch).

Enough with my ranting but are there any other UCAs (besides Readylift, Rough Country, BDS, Icon, Total Chaos) that I am not considering and someone has experience with? I have a hard time justifying the value of Icon or Total Chaos as being worth it for everyday people (weekend explorers) like myself.

theblakester

Reaction score
I’m also looking for the right UCAs to get with a 3” front lift that don’t break the bank.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Any 4th gen UCA should fit your truck. Icons 4th gen are the same part you get in the 5th gen 1500 trucks so you know they fit. Same For BDS, Same for Zone, same for Total Chaos. So just look into aftermarket UCA's for a 2018 RAM 1500 for example. Lots of options to choose from in different prices.

I bought my Icon Delta Joints back in January this year and their price was listed at $892. same price they have today 04/20/2021. I bought them from a vendor at another forum and paid $750 for them back then. So just find somebody willing to work with you on prices if you want Icon or TC. You get what you pay for, true for suspension/steering components. pay once cry once :)

If you want cheaper and still good. look into JBA, made in USA like Icons.

Even cheaper, you have Freedom Offroad. I had their UCA's in my 2wd Silverado and they were decent. they're made in Taiwan though. you get rubber bushings and a hd balljoint like Zone. At least with Zone you get Moog BJ's though. I don't know what Freedom uses for BJ but it's a conventional BJ like everybody else using those BJ styles.

There are more options to choose from.
Good luck.

marin

Reaction score
Any 4th gen UCA should fit your truck. Icons 4th gen are the same part you get in the 5th gen 1500 trucks so you know they fit. Same For BDS, Same for Zone, same for Total Chaos. So just look into aftermarket UCA's for a 2018 RAM 1500 for example. Lots of options to choose from in different prices.

I bought my Icon Delta Joints back in January this year and their price was listed at $892. same price they have today 04/20/2021. I bought them from a vendor at another forum and paid $750 for them back then. So just find somebody willing to work with you on prices if you want Icon or TC. You get what you pay for, true for suspension/steering components. pay once cry once :)

Even cheaper, you have Freedom Offroad. I had their UCA's in my 2wd Silverado and they were decent. they're made in Taiwan though. you get rubber bushings and a hd balljoint like Zone. At least with Zone you get Moog BJ's though. I don't know what Freedom uses for BJ but it's a conventional BJ like everybody else using those BJ styles.

Good luck.
@Ram1500rsm :

Thank you for the information, it is helpful and I continued to look around but now including 4th gen, wasn't aware they are the same, and there is significantly more options. In the end I called Icon and they honored the price that was on the website last week of $849 delivered.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
@Ram1500rsm :

Thank you for the information, it is helpful and I continued to look around but now including 4th gen, wasn't aware they are the same, and there is significantly more options. In the end I called Icon and they honored the price that was on the website last week of $849 delivered.
You can find them cheaper. I'll pm you for details.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Yes please, because they have a 6-8 week lead time right now so can cancel.
Check your PM. You may still need to wait the same, but you should be able to get them at a better price, and Icon will ship it to you. I got lucky when i bought mine back in Jan this year and the dude got me a set right away, got it 3 days after after i ordered them straight from Icon in Riverside,CA

Got the Icons caps as well even though they're not needed (separate order from Amazon :), https://www.amazon.com/191011-Tubul...con+191011&qid=1618968747&s=automotive&sr=1-1)
20210122_101259 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too have been going back and forth on this. Most popular options in terms of cost high to low so far:
1. ICON
2. Zone
3. Ready lift
4. Rough Country forged (3-3.5" lift only)
5. Mopar 2" lift UCA's

At this point since the rough country state they only handle 3-3.5" lift and I have the ORP with Bilstein's at setting 4 or 5 I want to go with ready lifts for around $370. I am afraid of getting the rough country arms, not liking my Bilstein's at setting #5 and then having to drop to #4 and being out of spec for the UCA's I spent $350 on.

marin

Reaction score
I too have been going back and forth on this. Most popular options in terms of cost high to low so far:
1. ICON
2. Zone
3. Ready lift
4. Rough Country forged (3-3.5" lift only)
5. Mopar 2" lift UCA's

At this point since the rough country state they only handle 3-3.5" lift and I have the ORP with Bilstein's at setting 4 or 5 I want to go with ready lifts for around $370. I am afraid of getting the rough country arms, not liking my Bilstein's at setting #5 and then having to drop to #4 and being out of spec for the UCA's I spent $350 on.
I would definitely stay away from the RC brand, was talking to a sales guy at dessert rat off-road and he gave me a few horror stories he has seen with them. The JBA ones that @Ram1500rsm posted also seem interesting but I am not familiar with them at all.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would definitely stay away from the RC brand, was talking to a sales guy at dessert rat off-road and he gave me a few horror stories he has seen with them. The JBA ones that @Ram1500rsm posted also seem interesting but I am not familiar with them at all.
The aluminum forged rough country arms? Interesting I have heard nothing but good things on those arms. I don't think I will end up with them regardless as they make you stick to a fairly tight range of lift from 3 to 3.5in.

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
I am currently in the market for UCA. I started to piece together the suspension after reading quite a bit of others experience on here. While shopping, I noticed that Icon and Total Chaos do things at the same time, when I started looking they were both selling UCA at around $750-$775 and today they increased another $50 to $900. I get supply and demand and popularity but at what point are they no longer worth it. At this point, UCAs are more than decent shocks/struts. I understand the quality debate as well but the reality is the most of us will never really use the capabilities of an Icon Stage 5 or similar King setups (This is similar to buying a 8K tv but there is no streaming 8K content to watch).

Enough with my ranting but are there any other UCAs (besides Readylift, Rough Country, BDS, Icon, Total Chaos) that I am not considering and someone has experience with? I have a hard time justifying the value of Icon or Total Chaos as being worth it for everyday people (weekend explorers) like myself.
zone makes a great uca for 499. boxed steel design very beefy. im on my 2nd pair had them on a 2014 big horn with 5100s and currently have them on my rebel with 6112s

marin

Reaction score
The aluminum forged rough country arms? Interesting I have heard nothing but good things on those arms. I don't think I will end up with them regardless as they make you stick to a fairly tight range of lift from 3 to 3.5in.
Yes, he had a set of the aluminum forged ones on a display and I asked about them and he asked how I intended on using the truck and then said based on my usage that I should avoid.

Jeansebplante

Reaction score
I am running the RC UCAs with Fox DSC (+/- 2,75 lift) and my angles are top notch.

Truck$-4life

Reaction score

Good luck.
So I just ordered those jba and the link they sent me says only fit 2006-2018. I got a 2022 but then the part says those years and up to current. So wtf. Are they still goin to fit or do I gota have them returned

Attachments

• 0BE8F50C-3295-4401-87F4-940C40DA5D37.png
    0BE8F50C-3295-4401-87F4-940C40DA5D37.png
    429.9 KB · Views: 30

TheColt69

Reaction score
So I just ordered those jba and the link they sent me says only fit 2006-2018. I got a 2022 but then the part says those years and up to current. So wtf. Are they still goin to fit or do I gota have them returned
Ever find any more out about the JBAs? They look pretty good and thought about them after seeing this thread. I had Zone HDs on my 4th gen but looking now for my ‘22 1500

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
Ever find any more out about the JBAs? They look pretty good and thought about them after seeing this thread. I had Zone HDs on my 4th gen but looking now for my ‘22 1500
They fit. And there pretty awesome. Have actal grease points for when u have to grease it when u have a oil change done. And the ball joint is easily replaceable if u ever need a new one. Also the arm it self half lift time warranty. But highly recommended for 1" to 4" lift. I only had a 2inch level in the front done with blistien 6112 shocks and there amazing. Mainly settled for all those brands cause they can be remade and have lift time warranty since the dealer won't replace em being aftermarket. lol tryin to find tires for my stock rims now. Want 295/60/r20 but idk if that's too wide or not... but need wider tires. Was gonna get 12.5 but the. I think it would rub

TheColt69

Reaction score
They fit. And there pretty awesome. Have actal grease points for when u have to grease it when u have a oil change done. And the ball joint is easily replaceable if u ever need a new one. Also the arm it self half lift time warranty. But highly recommended for 1" to 4" lift. I only had a 2inch level in the front done with blistien 6112 shocks and there amazing. Mainly settled for all those brands cause they can be remade and have lift time warranty since the dealer won't replace em being aftermarket. lol tryin to find tires for my stock rims now. Want 295/60/r20 but idk if that's too wide or not... but need wider tires. Was gonna get 12.5 but the. I think it would rub

This is the exact setup I've been looking at going with lol, 6112s with these JBA's. Even the 295/60r20's, as that's what I had on my last truck and I really like that size... doesn't look "stuffed" and is wide enough to look good from behind but wasn't too wide to rub a ton. But that was on an aftermarket Fuel wheel with 0 offset. Not sure how it will work on my '22 Ram with factory 20's!

Users who are viewing this thread