5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prepare to be disappointed

jamesfg

Reaction score
Pulled the spare to get the creative juices flowing for onboard air and I see this.......som biscuit FCA. You suck. 20180905_195950.jpg

Agitated

Reaction score
I'm still unsure what the complaint is. The blue marks? Can't you wash it?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pulled the spare to get the creative juices flowing for onboard air and I see this.......som biscuit FCA. You suck. View attachment 4278

Frankly, it's rare these days that the spare matches the other wheels the vehicle ships with. I myself would never expect that the spare would be identical wheel & tire to the other four, unless the line-item description of a particular wheel & tire combo stated specifically it would be five of them.

I wouldn't want to pay for the extra cost of an expensive matching wheel, because the likelihood of using a spare tire these days is practically zero, and the money spent and the beauty of a matching wheel would just go wasted. The only thing I would care about is the strength of the wheel and the rating of the tire are sized to match the other wheels & tires, and the payload & towing capacity of a particular truck.

Those do not look like burns to me, they look like chafe/compression points where the spare was sucked up against the frame when the spare was raised into position. Maybe the mechanism raising the spare was over-torqued, I don't know. But if those were burns, I suspect the thin white lettering outlines would be black, not still white. The bluish tint is probably a bit of paint/coating that was on the undercarriage before the spare was sucked up against the frame and it simply transferred to the tire due to compression & vibration action as the truck was driven normally, or perhaps it is the mold-release agent on the tire itself, and it disappeared form the rest of the tire due to exposure to the elements underneath the truck, and the only place the mold-release agent remains is at the compression points with the frame.

TimG

Reaction score
Those do not look like burns to me, they look like chafe/compression points where the spare was sucked up against the frame when the spare was raised into position. Maybe the mechanism raising the spare was over-torqued, I don't know. But if those were burns, I suspect the thin white lettering outlines would be black, not still white. The bluish tint is probably a bit of paint/coating that was on the undercarriage before the spare was sucked up against the frame and it simply transferred to the tire due to compression & vibration action as the truck was driven normally, or perhaps it is the mold-release agent on the tire itself, and it disappeared form the rest of the tire due to exposure to the elements underneath the truck, and the only place the mold-release agent remains is at the compression points with the frame.

Solid explanation. Makes sense to me!

John813

Reaction score
The only truck I've ever seen with a spare that was the same as the stock wheel was/is the Raptor.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2005 Nissan Titan that had a matching spare but I never used it so it really didn't matter.

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
I knew we didn't have a matching spare, but I'd be lying if it didn't bum me a little. I haven't decided if it bothers me enough to do something about it yet, but I'm leaning toward no (for this set).

When I have 5 matching wheels and tires, I do a 5-tire rotation pattern. This makes my tires last a little longer and I don't tend to trust old rubber as a spare. This said, my other vehicles with full-size spares (Jeeps) have the spare out and exposed to the sun more. While the sun quickens it, tires age and today's compounds tend to dry and crack earlier than older tires. My point to this is; I will likely change the spare everytime I change my tires anyway. Thus my desire to go ahead and use it (when it matches).

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Few weeks ago and only about 600 miles and I got a nail in my tire.... Luckily I was able to get it fixed for $25. Trying to remove it resulted in hissing, so took the risk and drive 7 miles down the road to a service station.

Bwarren2

Reaction score
My 2011 Larami has full size spare w basic aluminum wheel, they dont match

whsk12

Reaction score
will have to look?-build sheet says full size steel wheel-the truck has the aluminum rebel wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online