5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powertrain Malfunction Indicator Light

daberk

Reaction score
I received an email from RAM service yesterday with an alert saying my powertrain malfunction indicator light had been triggered. There is no light or message on in the truck and it drives normally. Has anyone else gotten this? Could the email have been sent erroneously?

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Havent heard of this one yet, but if you have a cheap ELM327 scanner you can see if there are any codes stored, or go borrow a scanner from Autozone. If that happened to me I'd ignore it until there is something I can't ignore, there's a good chance its a glitch

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Has the truck been out of your possession for any time - like at a garage getting something serviced? It's real easy to set codes. Someone may have triggered one, the over-the-air told Chrysler, and then it was erased. And then you got an autogenerated email.

Key on. Do all the dash lights you remember go on? Start it. Do they go off? Scroll through the cluster. Are there any messages? If there's nothing there, there's nothing there.

daberk

Reaction score
Has the truck been out of your possession for any time - like at a garage getting something serviced? It's real easy to set codes. Someone may have triggered one, the over-the-air told Chrysler, and then it was erased. And then you got an autogenerated email.

Key on. Do all the dash lights you remember go on? Start it. Do they go off? Scroll through the cluster. Are there any messages? If there's nothing there, there's nothing there.
Not out of my possession at all. From what I can see everything looks normal.

Haddy

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram Rebel 5.7 liter threw this error today, then I received the email. It was acting strange when I started up after work and had a slow vibration to the hum of the exhaust that somewhat shook the truck while idling and didn’t seem to work properly the first mile or two. The MIL flashed some then stayed on. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow for a diagnosis. Will let you all know what they say.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2021 Ram Rebel 5.7 liter threw this error today, then I received the email. It was acting strange when I started up after work and had a slow vibration to the hum of the exhaust that somewhat shook the truck while idling and didn’t seem to work properly the first mile or two. The MIL flashed some then stayed on. I’m going to the dealer tomorrow for a diagnosis. Will let you all know what they say.
Definitely curious...keep us posted.

Haddy

Reaction score
Here was the diagnosis & solution from the tech at my local dealer. I’ll report back to this post if I experience the same problem again.
B187FA29-5A10-479B-B3C6-597D9164FB7E.jpeg

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Ever since my check engine light came on once I always get emails about how that light and the throttle control light are on, but they’re not on in the truck, and I’ve taken it to the dealership multiple times for other things and they’ve never noticed it or cleared it lol. It’s kinda annoying but oh well to me

Tonymendoza562

Reaction score
I received an email from RAM service yesterday with an alert saying my powertrain malfunction indicator light had been triggered. There is no light or message on in the truck and it drives normally. Has anyone else gotten this? Could the email have been sent erroneously?
I received this same exact email although everything looks fine on the app health report and no check engine light on dashboard.. my truck is 2022 limited 5.7 etorque 4k miles

Oldphart

Reaction score
I'm the suspicious kind (that's what you get when you are an accountant for 45+years). I'm wondering if there is a way for your dealership to start broadcasting CEL codes to various vehicles when business is slow. My CEL reader stays in the truck ever since I had a dealership in Ca. insist my GMC Canyon had a "serious issue". I told them I had a reader and would look into the issue when I got home. While driving home, the CEL mysteriously cleared itself.

I'm not accusing, just saying.......

Last edited:

Oldphart

Reaction score
See my post above.....It's been cold down here over the last month so I've been using my remote start (from the FOB) just about every morning. Last night, I get an email from the powers that be at RAM telling me that I should renew the remote app so I can use the remote start feature on it. No other feature that that app has was mentioned.

Once again, I'm not accusing, just saying........

Users who are viewing this thread