5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

power washer/foam cannon?

TomI

Reaction score
Y’all have me wanting to try the foam cannon method. My main question is about the power washer.. I have a gas powered 3000 psi washer. I’m noticing you all use electric ones for the most part. Is mine too much? Should I get a less powered electric one? I’m thinking of something between 1000-1600 psi would be best. Opinions?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just turn down the pressure to the lowest setting then increase if needed. i have a gas and electric, use the electric because it's quieter.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cannon i purchased came with an additional orfice for pressure washers less than 2500 psi

IceStormz

Reaction score
Y’all have me wanting to try the foam cannon method. My main question is about power washer.. I have a gas powered 3000 psi washer. I’m noticing you all use electric ones for the most part. Is mine too much? Should I get a less powered electric one? I’m thinking of something between 1000-1600 psi would be best. Opinions?

My electric one is 1900 PSI from Simonz. I like it because it's less likely for me to damage the paint. It's obviously still possible, but it's not as intense when compared to a 3000 or 3500 PSI pressure washer. Plus I like not having another thing to change its oil and do winter/summer prep. (It was also on sale, $100 CAD!!!).

TL;DR - Gas is fine, just don't have it 3 inches away when you have some dirt stuck onto it. Let the water, soap and a little bit of micro-fibre clothes/claying do it's work!

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
when it comes to washing my truck I only use my pressure washer with the foam cannon and use a hose with a fire hoze nozzle for rinsing. Like Icestormz said as long as you are keeping a safe distance while using a 20 or 40 degree tip then your paint will be OK. Just dont use a 0 tip on your paint.... EVER. The best advice I can give anyone who's in the market for a foam cannon is don't waste your money buying a Chemical Guys or Adams cannon. I bought my Foam cannon on amazon for $25.00 after watching a youtube video comparing a $90.00 chemical Guys FC to an Amazon $25.00 Cannon and the results were 100% the same as well as the construction of the unit. Brass head Plastic body.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also take my word for it and Do Not buy a standard garden hose Foam Cannon version they are pure junk., Stick with a pressure washer cannon and foam it up.

dsn112

Reaction score
go watch some videos on youtube of obsessed garage. He has done reviews on every one and sells packages of the ones he likes.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gas will actually work better. The higher the pressure the better foam you get. I have a 2900 psi gas and use a foam cannon I got off Amazon. Don't waste money on a chemic guys one. It's just a rebranded cheap one for 4x the price.

dsn112

Reaction score
Gas will actually work better. The higher the pressure the better foam you get. I have a 2900 psi gas and use a foam cannon I got off Amazon. Don't waste money on a chemic guys one. It's just a rebranded cheap one for 4x the price.

That’s not true, the higher the GPM, the better the foam. Plenty of good electric units now pumping out 2 gpm or better.

Foam is for show anyway, sure it helps a little, but it’s not that important.

This is with an electric washer by the way after 5 minutes of sitting.
90bc1e9864b7c35cd383db9914ab7fa8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JRD

Reaction score
I have a gas powered, I’m just moving to electric because my power washer has been acting up. Plus the electric will be nice when cleaning wheels so you don’t have to leave it running just to use it for 5 minutes and leave it idling again.

your gas powered will be fine

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not true, the higher the GPM, the better the foam. Plenty of good electric units now pumping out 2 gpm or better.

Foam is for show anyway, sure it helps a little, but it’s not that important.

This is with an electric washer by the way after 5 minutes of sitting.
90bc1e9864b7c35cd383db9914ab7fa8.jpg

Well either way, most gas power washers have better GPM than their electric counter parts. I've yet to see an electric power washer that impressed me.

rustyjvan

Reaction score
I have been using a foam cannon for a long time with all of my vehicles using the two bucket method with two grit guards stacked. One thing I have found is getting the mix ratio right for your foam cannon. I rarely fill the entire foam cannon bottle to the top (32 oz capacity). I put about 20 ounces of warm warm mixed with 2 ounces of Chemical Guys Snow Foam soap. Produces nice foam that slides down really slow removing surface contaminants before hand washing.

dsn112

Reaction score
Well either way, most gas power washers have better GPM than their electric counter parts. I've yet to see an electric power washer that impressed me.

I have a kranzle, for car washing it will run circles around any gas unit, and it’s quiet and will last a lifetime. If all you’ve seen is the throw away garbage at the depot, then sure I agree. But there are multiple serious electric units out there.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a kranzle, for car washing it will run circles around any gas unit, and it’s quiet and will last a lifetime. If all you’ve seen is the throw away garbage at the depot, then sure I agree. But there are multiple serious electric units out there.

Kranzles are quality yes, but pricey as hell. I agree most of the HD stuff is junk. I bought a powerplay hot rod with a Honda engine. It's made in Canada and uses some high end Italian pump. So far no issuee.

t76turbo

Reaction score
go watch some videos on youtube of obsessed garage. He has done reviews on every one and sells packages of the ones he likes.

Agree. Matt has tested many of the cheaper up to the high end electric pressure washers and gives a lot of detail. I bought the Kranzle kit from him and absolutely LOVE it. Used it to wash my Ram 2500 lifted on 37's with a 4.5 inch lift, my current wrangler JL lifted 3 on 35's, and now the '19 ram 1500 Laramie sport I just bought a couple days ago. Plus my wifes Volvo sedan that we just sold. It makes washing all of these so much easier.

Another amazing feature of the Kranzle models is that it shuts off when you let go of the trigger. And kicks right back on when you pull the trigger. So with a normal pressure washer, you do not want the pump running without the trigger pulled for more than maybe a 30 seconds to a minute depending on how good the bypass system is. So you have to keep cranking it up and turning it off or if it is electric you have to keep turning it on and off when you are going to have a little time without spraying. Otherwise you burn your pump up from overheating.

The key to the pressure washers is to get one with a low pressure but high flow. I see some on this forum talking about using 3000 psi units. I personally wouldnt want 3000psi on my paint. The Kranzle I have flows over 2 gallons a minute so it moves a lot of water. But at only around 1200 psi. I can hold my hand in the stream within 6 inches of the nozzle. Try that with the high pressure units. But to be fair, as long as you stay farther away with the higher pressure units I am sure you would be fine.

t76turbo

Reaction score
Also take my word for it and Do Not buy a standard garden hose Foam Cannon version they are pure junk., Stick with a pressure washer cannon and foam it up.

I would agree with you on some of the hose end foam guns but there are exceptions. The Griots garage model I had for years worked fine. And did a good job producing foam. Also, the lime green top one from Chemical Guys works good. Neither does the same job as one on a pressure washer. But for those that dont have a pressure washer, space to keep them, or dont want to spend the money, SOME hose end models do a decent job.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The garden hose foam cannon I purchased works fine like it should but let's make sure others understand the difference between a pressure washer foam cannon vs a garden hose foam cannon... The pressure washer 1/4" quick connect foam cannon I purchased from amazon @ $22.00 works like a gem & produces shaving creme thick foam. The garden hose foam cannon i bought from amazon @ $25.00 works fine like it should but does not create foam, it produces a runny stream of "sudsy bubbles". On days I don't feel like taking the extra time to setup my pressure washer I'll use my garden hose cannon for its time-saving convenience. If anyone can prove they have a garden-hose foam cannon that produces foam at the same thickness of a pressure washer foam cannon I'd be in awe and would navigate to its website to purchase one...

Users who are viewing this thread