5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power loss backing a trailer up a hill?

jaychris

Reaction score
OK, this is a first for me, but this is also a larger load than I generally tow. I've got a 2019 Ram 1500 (new style), 5.7 Hemi. I'm towing a 8.5x16 Mirage trailer, with a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 loaded, and maybe another 500lbs of gear. It's towed great all week, no issues, etc, etc...

Got home and went to back it up my driveway. It's a little steep (maybe 40 feet long, fairly steep; I could get the exact angle), but I've backed a smaller 7x14 loaded with a 4 wheeler up it with no issues before this. This time though, the trailer got maybe 3/4 of the way up and the truck just stopped making power. I had the pedal down, but the truck wasn't generating any more rpms or power. Tried again, same issue. I finally got it up there by pulling up and making a run at it, but that doesn't leave me a lot of room to maneuver with control.

Is this normal? If it matters, I had just finished 8 hours of towing, but all the gauges were showing normal so nothing obviously wrong.

Last edited:

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had it happen on a GM truck in reverse as well, with just a bed full of dirt, on wet grass; wouldn't even spin the tires in 2wd. Got no explanation for you tho. I figure it is a drivetrain warranty safety algorithm that they fall into.

jaychris

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, some sort of safety cutout, but I can't figure out what it would be. It really doesn't seem like I'm pushing any limits.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Might be possible the traction control or stability control engaged which will cut engine power. Try again in 4wd or with TCS off

tsbbartholomew1

Reaction score
trailer have surge brakes? have experienced this where the weight of the trailer will apply the surge brakes on the trailer while trying to back up a hill...just a thought

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You do know R is like being in 2nd gear?

Have you tried pulling in head first in Auto to see if it will climb the same hill and / or force it into 2nd gear to see what it does?

Lmwcpw89

Reaction score
My 2014 Ram 1500 (5.7 hemi)does the SAME thing -only when I back my camper up my steep driveway - feels like it running out of fuel but never completely stalls/cuts out-but I can barely get it up the driveway to park it -driving me nuts !! Truck runs perfectly otherwise - I am a master ASE diagnostic technician - I diagnose vehicles for a living-but I’m frustrated by this because only acts up when I return from camp and I’m parking my camper - and I need to get my camper off the street quick so don’t have time to diagnose -was thinking of trying to back up in 4wd low to see if the change in gearing would prevent it from happening -I also like the idea someone said of shutting the traction off- love to hear from anyone else out there who has had this particular problem-will try 4wd low and shut trac off in the spring when I’m returning from camp-will update my results 👍

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2014 Ram 1500 (5.7 hemi)does the SAME thing -only when I back my camper up my steep driveway - feels like it running out of fuel but never completely stalls/cuts out-but I can barely get it up the driveway to park it -driving me nuts !! Truck runs perfectly otherwise - I am a master ASE diagnostic technician - I diagnose vehicles for a living-but I’m frustrated by this because only acts up when I return from camp and I’m parking my camper - and I need to get my camper off the street quick so don’t have time to diagnose -was thinking of trying to back up in 4wd low to see if the change in gearing would prevent it from happening -I also like the idea someone said of shutting the traction off- love to hear from anyone else out there who has had this particular problem-will try 4wd low and shut trac off in the spring when I’m returning from camp-will update my results 👍
Only have to turn off traction control for 4Hi. When you put in 4 Low, traction control is automatically turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread