5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potential improvements to aid in trailering sway control?

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
If you've read my thread "First Impressions after towing, trailer sway, tire load index and rating" you know I'm not thrilled about the stability with trailering my 27' travel trailer. As I pointed out, I've already ordered a Hellwig solid sway bar, and I'm looking at potentially replacing tires with better LT tires for sidewall stability. I wanted to throw couple if other things to consider and see if anyone has tried one of these and what their results may have been. As stated in my other post, I had to make several improvements to my first tow vehicle, a 1500 Chevy Express, to get it where it felt rock solid with no lateral movement in the suspension.
On of the things I did was replacing all of my rubber bushings in my leaf springs with polyurethane bushings, and that seemed to help.
Has anyone thought of or tried replacing the rear suspension trailing/control arms rubber bushings with Polyurethane bushings? I quickly checked PST and they don't appear to have anything for Rams yet. There are probably other company's out there.

Another thought I had was airbag spring assist. I know some people have the factory air suspension, and I know Hellwig offers airbag replacements for the coil springs. I thought I'd ask is anyone has used air assist bags like these:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/air-...w2YIwBleBmQ8t5_VfJ-6AMjIuQkbqULhoCG5kQAvD_BwE
These go in the middle of coil springs, I would think by using these, it may help stabilize the lateral movement of the coil.

I know I'm getting ahead of my self since I haven't got the other things mentioned fixed yet. But I like having a solid feeling with no lateral movement that causes sway, and to be able to confidently go over 60mph when I'm traveling on highways that typically have 70+ mph speed limits.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have any sway issues with our 26’ camper With a Blue Ox Swaypro hitch. If I had the sway issues you described I would bite the bullet and just buy a Pro Pride or Hensley hitch and be done. Sway solved.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with my hitch set-up. I've been using this Easy-Lift WDH since I got the trailer 18 years ago and used with 2 other vehicles and it is solid. If you were to look up current reviews on this WDH, they are always one of the top rated for the money. The sway is from the lateral movement of the truck suspension and lack of using LT tires.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with my hitch set-up. I've been using this Easy-Lift WDH since I got the trailer 18 years ago and used with 2 other vehicles and it is solid. If you were to look up current reviews on this WDH, they are always one of the top rated for the money. The sway is from the lateral movement of the truck suspension and lack of using LT tires.
Start with the Hellwig (easy/affordable fix), and see if that does the job on its own. You might be surprised.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not saying that your hitch is to blame but the pro pride and Hensley hitches eliminate sway. Also they won’t affect ride/handling when not towing.

If the truck suspension/tires were the issue then most Ram 1500 owners that tow would have a sway problem. I am not experiencing sway at interstate speeds so I don’t think you can just say the tires and suspension are at fault.

Sure, stiffening the suspension and swapping for LT tires will help and may resolve the problem. However your ride will suffer when not towing.

Just trying to put another option out there for you. I look forward to hearing how your mods work out and hope they resolve the problem.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Not saying that your hitch is to blame but the pro pride and Hensley hitches eliminate sway. Also they won’t affect ride/handling when not towing.

If the truck suspension/tires were the issue then most Ram 1500 owners that tow would have a sway problem. I am not experiencing sway at interstate speeds so I don’t think you can just say the tires and suspension are at fault.

Sure, stiffening the suspension and swapping for LT tires will help and may resolve the problem. However your ride will suffer when not towing.

Just trying to put another option out there for you. I look forward to hearing how your mods work out and hope they resolve the problem.

Sorry if I came off rude, it wasn't meant that way and I appreciate input. But a couple of things I'd say is, I've been reading a lot of threads here and I think there are more people than you think that have had this problem. Usually you would think this would be from overloading one or several of the limits on vehicle and or trailer. But my setup is not near any of them. The sway I'm talking about is very minimal. but it definetly doesn't feel like when your driving truck alone. A little over 55 or 60 mph you start feeling this small wiggle which seems to get worse with speed. I've had the unlucky experience in my early trailering days of almost losing it out in the flat plains on a day with high cross winds and breaking a semi air envelope. I learned a lot from that experience, fixed all of my issues with that truck (2002 Chevy Van), and haven't had any problems since then, and don't want to have any again.

Today I installed the Hellwig solid sway bar, I used the second hole which is suppose to be a little stiffer than the stock position. I took truck for a ride and honestly couldn't tell much if any difference. I plan on taking out the trailer again to see if it's any different. One thing I noticed while under the truck and just pushing on the receiver, all of the flex is coming from the tires. You don't need much force and you get some sway in the sidewalls. This would be amplified with a 5500 lbs trailer on it. The suspension does seem pretty tight though.

dslowell

Reaction score
I also had this issue. Fought with the dealer and almost returned my truck over it. I have a post somewhere here on trailer sway.

I tried the Hellwig bar also, but I believe the Dueller is just an extremely crappy tire, and there may be a batch that are worse than others, as some have issues, and others do not.

I spent 3 month's loading my trailer different ways, bought a new hitch, and returned my truck to the dealer 3 different times.

Buy a set of Lt tires and leave those in the dealers trash bin and save yourself a lot of frustration.

D

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As Zeronet mentioned, I would just "do it right" and buy the Hensley Stinger. Don't ask me how it works because I'm not an engineer, but there are videos of how when you push up against the end of the trailer, it's like there is a solid frame rail going from truck front bumper to trailer back bumper, and the hitch does not pivot (thereby eliminating, not just reducing sway). It somehow moves the pivot point to right above the truck wheels, and rubber on the road doesn't move laterally like that due to friction.

I would do that long before messing with the internals of my truck or buying new tires etc. It's guaranteed to work, and literally designed to fix the exact problem you're having.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
As Zeronet mentioned, I would just "do it right" and buy the Hensley Stinger. Don't ask me how it works because I'm not an engineer, but there are videos of how when you push up against the end of the trailer, it's like there is a solid frame rail going from truck front bumper to trailer back bumper, and the hitch does not pivot (thereby eliminating, not just reducing sway). It somehow moves the pivot point to right above the truck wheels, and rubber on the road doesn't move laterally like that due to friction.

I would do that long before messing with the internals of my truck or buying new tires etc. It's guaranteed to work, and literally designed to fix the exact problem you're having.

I've seen a video on a Hensley hitch before, I agree that it looks like it should cure sway problems, but the cost of the hitch seems over the top for my purposes. First I couldn't find anywhere that gave me an actual price for a new one, but it looks to be $2000-3000 from the references I saw. Just for clarification, the movement I'm mentioning is not a severe sway, but more of a oscillation or wallowing of the trailer. I have a some what of an update I will post separately. My trailer is over 20 years old and isn't worth that much. Being that I know that the hitch I've used for the 18 years I've owned it has worked fine in the past, I see no reason to throw in the towel on finding the current issue with my new truck/trailer and spend $2-3K for a new hitch. If I had a new expensive trailer that weighed a lot more than mine, I would consider it. My trailer is not a big heavy trailer and it is low to the ground compared to most newer trailers (less surface area to cause cross wind sway issues). It shouldn't be that difficult to trailer a 5.5-6k lb trailer without any sway. Just for my reference, do you have a website that actually gives the price for a new Hensley? Thanks

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a video on a Hensley hitch before, I agree that it looks like it should cure sway problems, but the cost of the hitch seems over the top for my purposes. First I couldn't find anywhere that gave me an actual price for a new one, but it looks to be $2000-3000 from the references I saw. Just for clarification, the movement I'm mentioning is not a severe sway, but more of a oscillation or wallowing of the trailer. I have a some what of an update I will post separately. My trailer is over 20 years old and isn't worth that much. Being that I know that the hitch I've used for the 18 years I've owned it has worked fine in the past, I see no reason to throw in the towel on finding the current issue with my new truck/trailer and spend $2-3K for a new hitch. If I had a new expensive trailer that weighed a lot more than mine, I would consider it. My trailer is not a big heavy trailer and it is low to the ground compared to most newer trailers (less surface area to cause cross wind sway issues). It shouldn't be that difficult to trailer a 5.5-6k lb trailer without any sway. Just for my reference, do you have a website that actually gives the price for a new Hensley? Thanks
I know this is probably stateing the obvious because I am sure you have, but have you looked at the trailer. Tires, wheels, bearings, lugnuts, suspension, frame mounts.

I tow a 6k travel trailer every weekend that is a 1989 or 87, can not remember. I also have over 1800 lbs of payload in my truck. I know it isn't apples to apples as mine is a 2500, but I do not use a WDH at all and no trailer sway.

I have passed and been passed by large trucks on the highway and nothing.

I say all that not to compare but to see if you have checked your trailer

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I know what you're saying, and the hitch is a little pricey, but on the other hand it's less effort/stress to just put it on and be done with it than it is to fiddle around with bushings/tires/suspension etc. Maybe you're more of a mechanic than I am. But the hitch can be purchased once and used for life with free hitch bar exchanges (when you change truck/trailer, you might need a different height hitch bar to match them up). And, in my case, safety is something I worry about probably too much, and I just think it's a minor price to pay considering what can go wrong and the wreckage you can do your life and family. If it was something that wore out and needed constant replacement, then it might be a different story.

So don't view it as "not worth it considering the aging trailer", but "worth it considering my life and family". When you get a newer trailer, just transfer it to that one. It's not wasted money.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I know this is probably stateing the obvious because I am sure you have, but have you looked at the trailer. Tires, wheels, bearings, lugnuts, suspension, frame mounts.

I tow a 6k travel trailer every weekend that is a 1989 or 87, can not remember. I also have over 1800 lbs of payload in my truck. I know it isn't apples to apples as mine is a 2500, but I do not use a WDH at all and no trailer sway.

I have passed and been passed by large trucks on the highway and nothing.

I say all that not to compare but to see if you have checked your trailer

Yes, partially before I made my first post. I looked at most of the stuff you mentioned, tires, wheels bearings, but I did not start thinking of the leaf spring mounts and equalizer until after that. I haven't done anything with the leaf spring mounts because I thought they were like the leafs on my 2 Chevy's I used to tow with, where you don't really do anything to them. But I went on my RV forum and found that the Dexter axles use cheap bushings and a solid steel equilizer that wears out unless you grease them frequently. I haven't had a chance to look at them, but the RV forum moderator say he'd be suprised if they weren't worn out on a 22 years old trailer. So that will be my concentration for now. As a side note, I did look at my tires and even though there is no sidewall or tread cracking (because I keep tires covered most of the time) , they were over 10 years old, so I am replacing them. The Goodyear Marathones have been replaced with an upgraded Goodyear Endurance, which ups the load index rating from a C to a D on the Endurance, This should stiffen up the trailer tire sidewall. So at this point, I won't do anything else with truck until I fix trailer suspension and test it out.

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I know what you're saying, and the hitch is a little pricey, but on the other hand it's less effort/stress to just put it on and be done with it than it is to fiddle around with bushings/tires/suspension etc. Maybe you're more of a mechanic than I am. But the hitch can be purchased once and used for life with free hitch bar exchanges (when you change truck/trailer, you might need a different height hitch bar to match them up). And, in my case, safety is something I worry about probably too much, and I just think it's a minor price to pay considering what can go wrong and the wreckage you can do your life and family. If it was something that wore out and needed constant replacement, then it might be a different story.

So don't view it as "not worth it considering the aging trailer", but "worth it considering my life and family". When you get a newer trailer, just transfer it to that one. It's not wasted money.

To answer your questions about doing my own work, I've been wrenching on cars and motorcycles since I was 14 or 15, and now I'm 62. I practically had a fleet of beeters (4 kids with 10-15 year old cars with more than 150kmi on them) besides all of the dozens of cars I've owned that constantly needed work. All of the kids are gone except 1, and I'm retired. I just like the challenge of figuring out problems and I've got the time. Your point about safety is a good one. I worked for Amoco and BP for 41 years, they constantly preached safety, it kind of gets engrained in your head. As a said before, I've almost lost it with this trailer on my first truck. I understand the limitations and adjust my speed to a safe point and understand the problems with semi air envelopes when passing, so I try to stay away from them. My big thing is getting comfortable to drive at 70-75mph and not feel insecure, until then I'll drive at 55-60 and stay away from driving on extremely windy days. The last things is I'm fairly cheap, and we only use this trailer a couple of times a year, so I don't want the added expense.

Last edited:

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LT tires will really make a difference. I've done that on 1/2 tons and its very noticeable. never done the sway bar, but the hell wig is for sure a nice piece.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I tow a 26ft TT with a bone stock truck with no sway issues. My current WDH is an Equalizer #10k setup. I ran a 10k eaz lift with our 2500 and 30ft TT with no issues. Having said that, I think that i could have towed the 30ft TT with the 2500 without the sway bar, that truck was so stable. IMO, the equalizer WDH is a much better solution than the eazlift and it doesn't cost $3k or weight 190lbs like the hensley or propride. Towing with these 1500s is a balancing act...payload, TT length, tires, gearing, etc. There just isn't much margin with a 1500. My recommendation would be to upgrade your hitch to a equalizer. My .02

Glenjo72

Reaction score
I also had this issue. Fought with the dealer and almost returned my truck over it. I have a post somewhere here on trailer sway.

I tried the Hellwig bar also, but I believe the Dueller is just an extremely crappy tire, and there may be a batch that are worse than others, as some have issues, and others do not.

I spent 3 month's loading my trailer different ways, bought a new hitch, and returned my truck to the dealer 3 different times.

Buy a set of Lt tires and leave those in the dealers trash bin and save yourself a lot of frustration.

D

D
I have the same issue. Feels like the back of the truck is getting pushed around. Mine is better when trailer is loaded but it’s still bad. I’m only towing a 14’ v nose cargo trailer with a Honda talon in it. 2200lbs empty, 4000 lb loaded. Pushes truck all over the place. I have been to dealer 4 times and have gotten no where.

slimchance

Reaction score
so, you have a 27' travel trailer that is 22 yrs old and only weighs 5,500#s .... really ... i towed a 25' Passport (2018) that CAT scaled at 7,000#s with a 2019 Ram Laramie, payload sticker 1577#s, using a Reese Duel Cam w/1,000# bars, that did the exact same thing .... at about 55mph it began to wiggle and it got worst the faster i drove .... it was plain to me the trk was being asked to do more that it was built to do ... i traded it off to a 2500 Ram

cash4trash

Reaction score
Hey RRS, I just bought my truck and have been looking at a new travel trailer. I would recommend the Pro Pride over the Hensley. I spoke with Brent, (GM of Pro Pride) today after doing lots of research on their hitch. To make a long story short, Pro Pride is the new version of Hensley by the same designer. Yes, it is expensive, but my life and truck are worth more than a couple thousand dollars!! :D

Chris

cash4trash

Reaction score
Hey RRS, I just bought my truck and have been looking at a new travel trailer. I would recommend the Pro Pride over the Hensley. I spoke with Brent, (GM of Pro Pride) today after doing lots of research on their hitch. To make a long story short, Pro Pride is the new version of Hensley by the same designer. Yes, it is expensive, but my life and truck are worth more than a couple thousand dollars!! :D

Chris
You also might want to try the Blue OX or equalizer. These are between $5-800.

Chris

MF2020

Reaction score
Equalizer Hitch works great for me. Towing 70-75 MPH no problem. Absolutely NO sway at all. Check it out, its a different system then the usual chains and bars that typical anti-sway hitches offer.

Users who are viewing this thread