5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible FIX! Speaking Your Own Voice-to-Text Reply on Uconnect

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just received this email from Uconnect regarding it's inability to let us speak our personalized reply to text messages. I am posting the instructions they sent me to enable it. I have no idea if it actually will work or do what we want, but I figured I would copy and post it here ASAP incase it works, or is at least getting the ball rolling. As for speaking to enter the address in the NAV portion, they say to use the VR button on the steering wheel instead of the (grayed out) microphone on the NAV screen next to the address bar. That actually makes sense, as you can do it from the wheel, and not have to touch the 12" screen. I think I did to that when test driving one day. Well, nonetheless, here is that Uconnect says to do to enable customized text reply. The images are missing in the Copy/Paste, so I will try to upload an image of the actual email.

Regarding Voice Recognition for address entry, have you had the opportunity to use the “VR” ( voice recognition button on the steering wheel)? If so, is it functioning?

For Voice Recognition for text reply, the line for text will become enabled when the “Do Not Disturb” function is enabled. See screenshot below.
To customize the reply text messages, please follow the steps below:
1. Click on the Settings icon
2. Scroll down and select Phone/Bluetooth
3. Click on “Do Not Disturb”
4. Select “Customize Auto Replay Message”
5. Type preferred message on the field and then click “OK”

Thank you for being a valued customer.
Uconnect Service Operations Team

Attachments

• Kami Export - Voice-to-Text Uconnect Developer Feedback (3).pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 109

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, that only allowed me to make a customized automated response when someone calls and you have Do Not Disturb turned on. Not what I wanted. I just want to be able to send and dictate a text message. I can do that on my phone with Android Auto, which it looks like is what Uconnect is wanting us all to do. Pay for their 12" Uconnect and then they tell us to use Android or Apple. Wow, Thanks Uconnect!!! Glad the others are doing your job for you.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find some of the "canned" responses helpful when replying to a text while driving and find the system works well in that context, not fully dictated messages but close enough for now. But really, texting is a none emergency way of communicating and I find too many people forget that driving is about driving. I don't like turning my truck into an office, its a moving vehicle and if you're that busy, you shouldn't be driving.

There's no arguing that distracted driving kills. Dictating text replies and fussing about what your buddy is up to on facebook whilst driving seems insane to me. Just my humble opinion.

Edit: Sorry, I know this may seem like a potential hijacking of the thread... but 1st world complaints about "my car/truck wont take dictation from me" seem asinine compared to some of the real problems folks are having with their trucks. Trying to find perspective in this thread.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So are you offering helpful advice or just telling everyone your personal opinion. Didn't know this was a blog
I was pretty clear when I said I was trying to find the perspective of this thread... everyone's trying to re-invent the option of voice to text, which has always been the canned phrases that are preprogrammed. But then everyone wants more convenience than what was originally offered by Uconnect, it's always been canned responses, there's never been a hint that voice to text was being offered in the 5th Gen system.
I think there's been some confusion among some as to what the system can actually do "as advertised".
And yeah, I offered my 2cents about distracted driving... seems relevant.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well personally I feel mentally coordinated enough to press the button on the steering wheel and speak exactly what I want to say - you know exactly like the way you talk to the person sitting next to you in the car. I never heard of anyone getting an accident because they were distracted speaking to their wife in the passenger seat. Trying to match the exact can response and constantly getting that response is not recognized ends up being more distracting. but to each their own I'm glad you liked the canned response.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well personally I feel mentally coordinated enough to press the button on the steering wheel and speak exactly what I want to say - you know exactly like the way you talk to the person sitting next to you in the car. I never heard of anyone getting an accident because they were distracted speaking to their wife in the passenger seat. Trying to match the exact can response and constantly getting that response is not recognized ends up being more distracting. but to each their own I'm glad you liked the canned response.
You're taking my comments as if I'm trying to instigate an argument. I would love to dictate my own words through Uconnect to have personalized texting as well, never said I didn't. I did say that if the canned responses aren't enough to keep a base sense of response to a conversation, then just phone them. I also was just trying to make the point that FCA and Uconnect have never said the system supports or ever will support real talk-to-text. A member became confused when the "speak the canned response" option was greyed out, he thought it was something it isn't.

And, yeah, most people are capable of hitting a button and dictating a message... again, never meant to imply that it wasn't handy. Just another possible distraction.

Anyway. Canned responses only, there never was or will be talk-to-text for this generation of Uconnect to my knowledge.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I updated a different thread with my UConnect response. In short, it is an issue with the current Panasonic radio not having the ability. UConnect is passing on that it is a desired feature, so I would suggest calling and making your voice heard if you want the feature added in the future. I do not think it is an unreasonable expectation to be able to voice to text, as previous generations have had (as my UConnect rep confirmed), and as noted on mopar.com. (https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/uconnect/Uconnect.VoiceTexting.pdf) I'm hoping for an update in the future.

Daddio

Reaction score
You're taking my comments as if I'm trying to instigate an argument. I would love to dictate my own words through Uconnect to have personalized texting as well, never said I didn't. I did say that if the canned responses aren't enough to keep a base sense of response to a conversation, then just phone them. I also was just trying to make the point that FCA and Uconnect have never said the system supports or ever will support real talk-to-text. A member became confused when the "speak the canned response" option was greyed out, he thought it was something it isn't.

And, yeah, most people are capable of hitting a button and dictating a message... again, never meant to imply that it wasn't handy. Just another possible distraction.

Anyway. Canned responses only, there never was or will be talk-to-text for this generation of Uconnect to my knowledge.
Dude, I was able to voice text any message I wanted with my 2015 Ram using Uconnect. This should have at least been made clear by the dealer when I bought my 2019. I totally agree with Cmerkert's points.

Last edited:

Diesel

Reaction score
Gents, all of you have valid arguments regarding the tech with Uconnect with today's latest garden variety, but remember this, the roads and accidents related to distracted driving are growing and the government pretty much owns the auto industry. That means liability and tech with being the first thing lawyers will be suing these industries over when someone dies or is injured. Sorry, but the feature is and will be controlled and there is nothing, we as the consumer can change that. In the meantime, we have Apple/Android play--bottom line, this is not a Uconnect problem, it's a political/governmental problem....

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gents, all of you have valid arguments regarding the tech with Uconnect with today's latest garden variety, but remember this, the roads and accidents related to distracted driving are growing and the government pretty much owns the auto industry. That means liability and tech with being the first thing lawyers will be suing these industries over when someone dies or is injured. Sorry, but the feature is and will be controlled and there is nothing, we as the consumer can change that. In the meantime, we have Apple/Android play--bottom line, this is not a Uconnect problem, it's a political/governmental problem....
Agreed, but your premise does not make sense. The same inherent "risks" of voice-to-text and accidents will hold true when using AA or Carplay also, so that does not change a thing. Why let Uconnect get off the hook for making a less than complete system. So, "in the meantime, we have Apply/Android" does not really change that risk because it can also happen when using AAuto or Carplay and justify why Uconnect is okay for not including it. The voice-text function is still there, it would just be nice if the $1,200 feature had it (actually, did not lose it). I think most of us would rather a full featured item, rather than an item that is 85% complete, and sub out the other use (voice) to Apple or Android. The mere fact that you have to connect the phones via the USB to use AA or Carply make the whole wireless charging innovation pointless, and useless.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, but your premise does not make sense. The same inherent "risks" of voice-to-text and accidents will hold true when using AA or Carplay also, so that does not change a thing. Why let Uconnect get off the hook for making a less than complete system. So, "in the meantime, we have Apply/Android" does not really change that risk because it can also happen when using AAuto or Carplay and justify why Uconnect is okay for not including it. The voice-text function is still there, it would just be nice if the $1,200 feature had it (actually, did not lose it). I think most of us would rather a full featured item, rather than an item that is 85% complete, and sub out the other use (voice) to Apple or Android. The mere fact that you have to connect the phones via the USB to use AA or Carply make the whole wireless charging innovation pointless, and useless.
Bluetooth is too slow to be used with Apple Carplay/Android Auto. As poor as the Voice integration is from Auto manufacturers vs Siri or Google Voice Assistant, they have a long way to go before I'm ready to dictate an email or text through them. I much prefer the Android Auto interface for such things. However, I usually just BT my phone for music and voice-type directly to the phone. I find that to be the easiest most accurate method.

To your point, nothing can prevent you from using the phone directly with it's built-in voice to text features. We are probably a few years away from any decent voice integration in vehicles that just works without issues. Uconnect has heard more curse words than commands when I've tried to use it!

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree, but my 16 had voice to text and it worked well.
Maybe I use big words or speak funny but Uconnect doesn't understand me. Google Assistant works great on my phone. Different users have different experiences. Glad yours worked.

pitboss000

Reaction score
Maybe I use big words or speak funny but Uconnect doesn't understand me. Google Assistant works great on my phone. Different users have different experiences. Glad yours worked.

ExcursionDiesel, I was just pointing out that the feature was available and worked - not flawlessly, but it worked. Now they are forcing you to use a connected phone because of a different radio manufacturer. Hoops I prefer not to jump through.

Daddio

Reaction score
I agree with Cmerkert and pitboss000. We had a working system that required no wires, involved pressing a steering wheel button, and did an acceptable job using voice to produce custom text messages. I fail to see how that contributed more to accidents. If it did, then all of the other buttons on the steering wheel should be removed. Also, it worked fine using BT. If you're going to say it just can't work with Android Auto, then it should work without that as it used to.

Standing by the opinion that Ram screwed up and we got short-changed. Ain't gonna give up my truck because of it, but will consider such things if I ever by a new one again. Might even look at Ford, GM, and Toyota. And, the dealer should have explained this to a former Ram owner.

Users who are viewing this thread