5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

portable compressors, Viair 400P

JBV

Reaction score
is there any competition for the venerable 400P or other Viair compressors that i should know about?

Croaker

Reaction score
I bought one at Harbor Freight that I use to inflate my Airlift 1000’s. Might not be as good quality as the Viair, but it has worked for me for several years.

FishOn

Reaction score
If you've ever been in a position to NEED air, it's hard to beat the insurance of a VIAIR...

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
If you are just buying it because you may need to refill a tire in your driveway someday, you can probably get away with something like that HF unit linked above. If you are going to be refilling tires often after a day of off roading; also refilling your pals tires; refilling larger than stock tires; spend the money on the Viair. I use the 300P and it is a solid unit for up to about 33's.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
I bought one at Harbor Freight that I use to inflate my Airlift 1000’s. Might not be as good quality as the Viair, but it has worked for me for several years.
I can second this one. I have had mine for about two years and used it on multiple occasions no issues so far and it fills up stock tires fast so I dont think it would have an issue with slightly bigger.

marin

Reaction score
I know several people with the Smittybilt unit and they seem to be good. They are a bit bulky in my opinion. I have had my 400P for 7 years now and it is still as good as the first day.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Viair 380C for On-Board Air. It took 23 minutes to fill
my 9 Gallon tank from 0-200PSI. I converted a York 210 AC
Compressor from a '73 Mercedes to fit on the Hemi Engine of
my 2008 Big Horn.

I will be using a Sanden 7H15 for the 2021 Laramie EcoDiesel.
The Nathan AirChime K5LA Train Horns need a lot of Air.

Malodave

see this Thread for install Pix:

redneck

Reaction score
my onboard viair 350c just turned 13 yrs old & it is shot still runs but cant get over 90 psi. just replaced it with the same one it was used about 3x pr week. very happy with its life.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my onboard viair 350c just turned 13 yrs old & it is shot still runs but cant get over 90 psi. just replaced it with the same one it was used about 3x pr week. very happy with its life.
Rebuild kits run about $90.

Malodave

redneck

Reaction score
i got my monies out of it at 13 yrs of use i didnt want to rebuld & then have the motor go out. thats my luck lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/