5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play Music From Phone Connected to USB2

Amerinamese

Reaction score
My daughter connected her phone to USB2 and wanted to play her music during our drive. The truck recognizes that something is connected to USB2, but the music didn't play through the truck's speakers. We've tried 2 different cables with no success. She's using Amazon Music on a Moto ePlay5. I have the 12" display. Are we doing something wrong?

Also, I have Android Auto running through my phone connected to USB1.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple thoughts-

Install AA on her phone and she should be able to play any music service thru the wired connection. I've not tried a phone without AA or Carplay on it, but if my wife's iPhone is plugged in, and then I plug in my S21, the car will ask if I want to switch devices (from Carplay to AA).

Alternatively, unplug your phone then connect hers via Bluetooth and she should be able to stream her music that way too.

I think any time a wired AA connection is made, it supercedes any non-AA wired or wireless connection.

Also, ever check to see if her phone is set for 'charge only' or something similar for a USB connection?

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I did change her phone to file transfer vs charge only. That didn't work. If she runs AA through her phone would that then shut off AA in mine? Is it possible to run AA in mine and listen to music on hers?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope you're right, you can only have 1 phone at a time running AA. So for example if hers is connected (playing music) the Uconnect will ignore yours (trying to run nav).

If she had audio files downloaded to her phone as MP3s (or other audio format Uconnect recognized) it might see her phone as a media player and be able to play those MP3s with yours running AA. I have a thumb drive with music on it on USB2 and it'll play that while I use AA on USB1.

Since she's trying to stream thru Amazon Music there are no audio files actually on the phone (and I'm sure they'd be proprietary anyway) and Uconnect can't play them over USB without AA.

Her phone still have a headphone jack? If so, try the AUX input. That might work. None of my phones have a headphone jack anymore so I've never tried that.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I'll try the headphone jack next. In the Maxima I traded in on my truck last year I know my wife was able to have podcasts play through USB2 while I had AA running through USB1. It would annoy me cause I'd be listening to music through AA and she'd plug her phone in to charge and it would automatically switch to what her phone was playing.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does YOUR phone play music through the USB2 port?
I know a lot of trucks have glitchy USB ports. Mine won't do Carplay from the USB3 port even though it's supposed to.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
When I hook my phone up to USB2 it turns on AA like normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online