5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plasti Dip 18" OEM Wheels W/ 33's

Jlast55

Reaction score
I have included some photos of my RAM for those of you scared to PlastiDip your OEM wheels. These came out decent, would have been better if I wasn't lazy and did them inside my garage, but they still came out pretty good considering they were done outside under some trees (poor planning). I put some Falken Wildpeak A/T Tires 275/70/R18 on them as well, these are equivalent to 33" x 11" tires, hope to install the front 3" lift by next week. Will update photos if I get around to it. IMG_20180917_153726.jpg IMG_20180917_153739.jpg IMG_20180917_153801.jpg

1Raider

Reaction score
Turned out good! I like it an I really like the fact that if you don't you can just peel it off..

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does look good. How does it hold up longer term? Do you get at least a few years out of it or is it an annual recoat?

EvoRAM

Reaction score
Looks great! I was considering doing it to mine too but hesitant. I might just try. How you liking those tires?

Jlast55

Reaction score
Does look good. How does it hold up longer term? Do you get at least a few years out of it or is it an annual recoat?
On my last truck (2013 Tundra) my plastidip wheels looked the same after 2.5 years (non-garaged) when I sold the truck. Keep in mind, I live in Laguna Beach, California so we don't get a lot of weather here (I don't think weather would play a huge factor anyway, but being from So Cal what do I know about weather).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I've plastidipped my last two vehicles extensively.
As long as you prep and then have enough coats, you should have very good longevity, >2-3 years easily.

Jlast55

Reaction score
Looks great! I was considering doing it to mine too but hesitant. I might just try. How you liking those tires?
The tires are awesome, I was considering these or the Hankook AT's. The Falken's are quieter than any A/T tire I have purchased and still look as aggressive as any other A/T brand. They ride nice but obviously not as plush & quiet as stock tires, and the price is right at $160/ea and the tire shop gave me $300 credit for the factory tires that came with the truck. I would recommend them if the price is right.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
At least two, but the beauty of this product is that you can just apply coats whenever it fades or you get a scratch or whatnot. The thicker the better anyway, specially when you get tired and need to peel it. Initially, 4-5 coats will do the trick, Figure about one can per wheel to have nice thick coverage and have some left over for touchups.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I must say, it looks good on your truck. I should have done this on my old Ford F-150 Sport when the wheels started going south.

sgk

Reaction score
Tha looks flawless, I never played around with plastidip before but had no idea it can come out that clean, from the photo it looks factory.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That does look good. Is it a spray or brush on product? You tape everything off or just cut the excess?

Jlast55

Reaction score
That does look good. Is it a spray or brush on product? You tape everything off or just cut the excess?
Its a spray on product, no need to tape anything off if you take the wheels off of your truck to paint them. Just clean the tires first and the plastidip will not stick to the tires so no need to tape them off. If you paint with the wheels on your truck, you definitely need to tape off the brakes and rotors but you do not need to tape off anything else as any overspray will come right off. As said before, the beauty of this product is if you do not like the way it comes out you can peel it off very easily without any damage or irreversible effect on your wheels.

Reactions: 356

danhshopper

Reaction score
I have included some photos of my RAM for those of you scared to PlastiDip your OEM wheels. These came out decent, would have been better if I wasn't lazy and did them inside my garage, but they still came out pretty good considering they were done outside under some trees (poor planning). I put some Falken Wildpeak A/T Tires 275/70/R18 on them as well, these are equivalent to 33" x 11" tires, hope to install the front 3" lift by next week. Will update photos if I get around to it. View attachment 4952 View attachment 4953 View attachment 4954
Great looking finish. Plan on doing the same. One question: did you plasti-dip the lug nuts as well? If so, when you torque them back, will the wrench socket destroy plasti-dip wrap?

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Looks great! I’m a big fan of plati dip.

For anyone that’s interested they now sell the ‘hub covers’ for the OEM 18” wheels another alternative to change the color of your rims they come if both black and chrome

Attachments

• 200B6AD2-0FDC-45C4-BC1B-3FE675AA9EC5.png
    200B6AD2-0FDC-45C4-BC1B-3FE675AA9EC5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 137
  • C4EEB613-98D0-4CAC-874D-7BEDCC73F43B.png
    C4EEB613-98D0-4CAC-874D-7BEDCC73F43B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 132

Lbdyll

Reaction score
Lmao this post just reminded me, about three weeks ago I bought two cans of plastidip to do the ram emblems on the side of the truck. I have about a 1 mile drive from home depot to my house, so I just threw the bag in the back seat on the floor. I got about an 1/8 mile from my house and took a left turn, one of the cans came out of the bag and rolled all the way to the passenger seat, smacked the seat rail and busted open. Mind you my truck had about 400 miles on it, so brand new. The can started spraying everywhere, my wife starts freaking out lol. So I pull over real fast run around the passenger side grab the can and chuck it away from the truck. I look back at the truck and the floor, bottom of the seat, the door and passenger rear window is spattered with it. I look at my wife and I guess when I grabbed the can it ended up spraying the whole front side of her, shoes to face lmao. All I can say is my mopar rubber floor mats and the fact it was plastidip saved my ***. Took a while but it all unpeeled, including the wife haha

danhshopper

Reaction score
Lmao this post just reminded me, about three weeks ago I bought two cans of plastidip to do the ram emblems on the side of the truck. I have about a 1 mile drive from home depot to my house, so I just threw the bag in the back seat on the floor. I got about an 1/8 mile from my house and took a left turn, one of the cans came out of the bag and rolled all the way to the passenger seat, smacked the seat rail and busted open. Mind you my truck had about 400 miles on it, so brand new. The can started spraying everywhere, my wife starts freaking out lol. So I pull over real fast run around the passenger side grab the can and chuck it away from the truck. I look back at the truck and the floor, bottom of the seat, the door and passenger rear window is spattered with it. I look at my wife and I guess when I grabbed the can it ended up spraying the whole front side of her, shoes to face lmao. All I can say is my mopar rubber floor mats and the fact it was plastidip saved my ***. Took a while but it all unpeeled, including the wife haha
Did you spray another two or three coat before peeling it off your wife? I heard more coats, easier peeling! :p:p:p

cjfioren

Reaction score
Wheels look great! Rear wheelhouse liners to complete it would look even better! $120 dollar fix....worth every penny!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks for making me spit coffee all over my monitor... LOL

MikeyLikey619

Reaction score
I have included some photos of my RAM for those of you scared to PlastiDip your OEM wheels. These came out decent, would have been better if I wasn't lazy and did them inside my garage, but they still came out pretty good considering they were done outside under some trees (poor planning). I put some Falken Wildpeak A/T Tires 275/70/R18 on them as well, these are equivalent to 33" x 11" tires, hope to install the front 3" lift by next week. Will update photos if I get around to it. View attachment 4952 View attachment 4953 View attachment 4954
How’s it holding up?? About to do this to my new ram. Got the same wheels but I’m the 295/70/18.

Users who are viewing this thread