5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking up my new trailer Saturday. What W/D hitch?

onebadtwo

Reaction score
I have a 2wd Tradesman CrewCab with the Std (non Etorque) Hemi and 3.92 gears. Im going to pickup a new PJ Buggy Hauler (5200lb axles) to drag my Jeep (CJ7 on 1 tons/40s) to the woods and off road parks in and around FL/GA. Im starting to research W/D hitches... The Andersen setup has caught my eye. I really like the fact you can run it without the chains if you want, which would be nice for just moving the empty trailer. The built in sway controlling action (and ability to backup with it) is nice too... But, I have seen some complaints from the camper guys that complain of slightly lackluster W/D qualities to it. Have any of y'all used one? How did it act? I had a W/D hitch back in the day when I pulled a 20' enclosed race car trailer with an old K5 blazer (that was kinda sketchy but it worked) I just hated the bars, sway control, and general setup required. We are supposed to be heading out for the 1st little trip in 2 weeks...

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Intrigued by the design I gave them a call. It has apparently evolved since it first came out with changes and the rubber spring capable of much higher loads. I like that the forces are just the moment around their unit, about 8" tall, rather than the huge vertical force on the WB bars. They say that eliminates bouncing.

They also recommend very low tongue weights, 4.5%-5.5% after WD adjustment. That means starting at 5.5%-7%. It should work with higher loads and they say it can handle 1400lb.

It is also very quick to disconnect.

You may want to give them a call and discuss it.

odhinnhrafn

Reaction score
I have an E2 Round Bar WDH, and I love it. I really love the fact that I don't need an extra component for sway control, and I can pull the bars off to get tighter maneuvering, which I've never needed to do.

That's a pic of it on my last truck. I've also towed that trailer with my wife's 2018 Kia Sorento, and the hitch made the Kia ride far better than I expected.
f2dc07881d58e0f6990cec3fc0a7746a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

onebadtwo

Reaction score
I picked up the trailer today. Its really SWEET! Hopefully Ill have the Jeeps wheels and tires (17" H2 wheels and 40" Cooper STT Pros) mounted tomorrow. It pulled really well empty (2840 Lbs). I wonder if I can make it work with a set of 1000HD bags (I already have a set).
42FcjfkbRtmbq5jWU3kUtA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread