5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Park Assist

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does everyone who has it find it works. I've see 2 demos of it on YouTube. It looks like magic! haha. Actually, in each perpendicular parking (parking lot stalls), the truck was shown backing into the stop, stopping, moving forward, and then back in at the final correct angle. Almost like a modified 3-point turn backing into a spot. Does this always happen, or with this bad boy crank the wheel and slide her in a spot in once slick super cool move, making your wife think you are the coolest husband at the supermarket! :cool:

klail

Reaction score
I have used it thrice in as many days for parallel parking. All three times were in spots I didn't think were big enough and I wouldn't have attempted myself. All 3 times the truck performed flawlessly. I love the feature. As soon as I know I want to park, I push the button and it starts searching, dings when it found a spot, and I follow the instruction. Easy peasy!
I usually don't use it for perpendicular parking as I park further out than most cars and it is usually not necessary. I have used it a couple times when I have had no choice but I can usually park faster. It's the parallel parking where it is a game changing feature for trucks.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet. Does it come with a "new truck parking" feature. Press the button and it takes you to a spot with nobody within 15 spots and parts it diagonally across 3 stops. lol We all hate that guy, but on Week 1 seriously think about being that guy!

Last edited:

klail

Reaction score
I bet. Does it come with a "new truck parking" feature. Press the button and it takes you to a spot with no body within 15 spots and parts it diagonally across 3 stops. lol We all hate that guy, but on Week 1 seriously think about being that guy!
Yeah, there is a D bag mode within the Uconnect settings. ;)
What takes a bit to get used to is changing it from parallel to perpendicular parking and also from right side to left side. In Boise, Idaho there are a lot of 1 way streets so it is definitely different trying to parallel park on the left side of the road. Now I just let the truck do it.

Turin

Reaction score
I've used the parallel park once; haven't tried perpendicular yet. It was slick and worked pretty well. It did self-cancel when the rear tire bumped the curb but the truck was already in the space; I just had to pull ahead a bit. At worst, it's much better at parallel parking than I am. I don't do it often enough to get good at it and am still adjusting to my Ram being significantly larger and more cumbersome than my previous vehicle. The first few garage entry/exits were nerve-wracking. The truck fits like a fat cat in a small shoebox.

My wife found the park assist to be simultaneously wondrous and terrifying. She sucks at parking so having that feature on her car would be almost life-changing — if she was brave enough to trust it!

Kam.Bc

Reaction score
Yeah, there is a D bag mode within the Uconnect settings. ;)
What takes a bit to get used to is changing it from parallel to perpendicular parking and also from right side to left side. In Boise, Idaho there are a lot of 1 way streets so it is definitely different trying to parallel park on the left side of the road. Now I just let the truck do it.
How to change right to left?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bet. Does it come with a "new truck parking" feature. Press the button and it takes you to a spot with nobody within 15 spots and parts it diagonally across 3 stops. lol We all hate that guy, but on Week 1 seriously think about being that guy!
I had a guy ready to brawl over that once. It was a crowded lot near the bar and he double parked his new truck in the end two spots. I backed my Jeep in the half space running up on the island. Probably about 6 inches off of his truck 🤣 . His buddies got a little belligerent. I made it clear they would not succeed if they got physical. I calmly let the owner know he could shut his buddies up and he could take the end spot near the curb like he should have and I would park beside him or he could climb in on the passenger side like a ****** later when he wanted to leave :cool:. He sucked it up and moved 👍.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick question with the self parking feature, does it work by radar sensing other vehicles or does it use the cameras and spot the lines (both?)? I’ve gotten it to perpendicular park once in a crowded parking lot surrounded by cars but have not gotten it to work since. I can park the truck but I’m just trying to use the gimmick and when I have tried in various parking lots that are not packed with cars it just continuously searches.
Is my system busted or can it only see “spaces” between two vehicles?

Appyfan

Reaction score
Quick question with the self parking feature, does it work by radar sensing other vehicles or does it use the cameras and spot the lines (both?)? I’ve gotten it to perpendicular park once in a crowded parking lot surrounded by cars but have not gotten it to work since. I can park the truck but I’m just trying to use the gimmick and when I have tried in various parking lots that are not packed with cars it just continuously searches.
Is my system busted or can it only see “spaces” between two vehicles?
It only senses the spaces between 2 vehicles when it searches.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess it still needs work. It tried to park itself on the median between parking spaces that had a palm tree on it, lol.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've used it once to parallel park. I could have done it quicker without assistance, but I was surprised at how well it worked. I don't think I'll use it much but it is pretty good at fitting into a tight spot.

ben b

Reaction score
I have never used it. The cameras are so good that it's pretty easy to self park most of the time.

I understand that auto park is surely better than me for tight spaces. But I always worry about the adjacent cars bumping me when they leave because they don't have good cameras or radar or are simply aggressive un-parkers.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used it once to parallel park. I could have done it quicker without assistance, but I was surprised at how well it worked. I don't think I'll use it much but it is pretty good at fitting into a tight spot.

I have never used it. The cameras are so good that it's pretty easy to self park most of the time.

I understand that auto park is surely better than me for tight spaces. But I always worry about the adjacent cars bumping me when they leave because they don't have good cameras or radar or are simply aggressive un-parkers.
Oh yeah I agree, I can park quicker than getting it to work, and it is much braver than I getting into tighter spaces. Definitely don’t trust the next door parkers

Users who are viewing this thread