5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic Sunroof mood lighting

dannymcd

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the ambient mood lighting available in some of the VW's and BMW's? 644740.jpg

I was looking up in the sunroof of the Ram and I think I can do the same thing with a little wiring harness and some bulk led strips. IDK is this stupid or cool? I figure I'll put a dimmer controller on it if it's too bright running 12v to it.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would be pretty cool. They would need to operate at pretty low voltage to not be distracting at night though. That or under some type of cover.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I think it would be pretty cool. They would need to operate at pretty low voltage to not be distracting at night though. That or under some type of cover.

Yes, I'm going to get at least a dimmer control on it, or maybe try to patch it into the dash dimmer somehow.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I'm going to get at least a dimmer control on it, or maybe try to patch it into the dash dimmer somehow.
That’s a good idea

dannymcd

Reaction score
Well all the parts are ordered, decided to do with a single color to proof the design with a remote control for on/off and dimmer control, it also has a few modes like fade and pulse.

TravisH

Reaction score
You should try something like this. EL Wire

I used to use this stuff years ago on sunroofs when streetglow was a popular company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick57

Reaction score
also following... Looking at the cover, there looks to be a nice gap at the bottom to install a rope rgbw light kit that will not interfere with anything. the biggest thing would be running the power line to it.

dannymcd

Reaction score
You should try something like this. EL Wire

I used to use this stuff years ago on sunroofs when streetglow was a popular company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used that in the past too on my prelude but the transformer has this annoying buzzing that I want to try to avoid. I think, as long as it fits as well as it should, it will be amazing, I've got a week to figure out which wires in the overhead are constant 12v and ground. But the custom wiring harness should be a snap to make since I didn't got with the RGB light strip.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used that in the past too on my prelude but the transformer has this annoying buzzing that I want to try to avoid. I think, as long as it fits as well as it should, it will be amazing, I've got a week to figure out which wires in the overhead are constant 12v and ground. But the custom wiring harness should be a snap to make since I didn't got with the RGB light strip.
These might fit better: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2964?length=1

dannymcd

Reaction score
Well all the parts came today and I'm half way thru making the wiring harnesses with connectors so the install will be professional looking and solid. None of those industrial wire nuts on my truck 😂 just need some 3M tape and the install will be a breeze, I've checked the light strips with a 12v battery and they are perfectly linear, a little on the bright side but not overwhelming and the dimmer controller should allow me to dial it into perfection.

IMG_20210927_182150368.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What happens when you want to open the sunroof and the two pieces are connected by wires?

dannymcd

Reaction score
What happens when you want to open the sunroof and the two pieces are connected by wires?
It's going on the backside of the headliner, it'll be completely hidden and under the retractable screen. I've already tossed it in there and open and closed the screen, there's nothing in there that moves that would hit it. I guess when I'm done with it the pictures I'll post will make it clear. Do you have a panoramic sunroof on yours?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's going on the backside of the headliner, it'll be completely hidden and under the retractable screen. I've already tossed it in there and open and closed the screen, there's nothing in there that moves that would hit it. I guess when I'm done with it the pictures I'll post will make it clear. Do you have a panoramic sunroof on yours?
Yes I do, so that makes sense. I thought you were adding it to the glass itself as the picture in your first post looks like that. I've never seen mood lighting on the roof other than the star sky that has been linked already.

dannymcd

Reaction score
So some preliminary pictures, I closed the screen so you can see it in the daylight. The dimmer I got from superbrightleds.com came to me clearly used, the wire ends were ratted out, I thought no big deal as long as it works, well it was clearly DOA, so after messing with it, blowing a fuse, finding the fuse (not fun) I ended up just hardwiring it, so for now it's always on when the car is running. I'll take some pictures tonight with the screen retracted. The pictures don't do it justice, it came out great.

Also the light you're seeing is reflective light, you cannot see any part of the light strip.

IMG_20210928_141015111.jpg IMG_20210928_141037059.jpg

dannymcd

Reaction score
Looks good so far, can't wait for the night pictures. You should do a write up of parts and installation.
Yes that was my intent, the DOA dimmer put a delay on that and right now the wires are not as clean as I normally do but I figured when I go back in there to put the replacement in I'll clean everything up. I also forgot to get the night pictures last night. I did drive it around, it looks freaking awesome both with and without the screen closed, just a tad on the bright side, but far from distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread