5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting tow hooks?

kingkasc

Reaction score
IMG_6450.jpg IMG_6245.JPG
Hey guys i'm considering adding tow hooks and painting them to match the red lettering.. Opinions on how it'll look and recommendations on what to paint/dip the hooks with? If you have a photo of black hooks installed please post! Thanks everyone.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes on installing the hooks, color is subjective. Its yours, do what you want.

metb4

Reaction score
View attachment 14974 View attachment 14976
Hey guys i'm considering adding tow hooks and painting them to match the red lettering.. Opinions on how it'll look and recommendations on what to paint/dip the hooks with? If you have a photo of black hooks installed please post! Thanks everyone.
Definitely do the red. It'll look killer. I think Plastidip makes a red coating

TwinSac

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread after I searched "Tow Hooks"

I want to do the same thing. Paint the tow hooks red. Plasti-Dip seems likely. Are people removing the hooks or painting them still on the truck?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JasonB

Reaction score
You are going to want to remove them for best job... super easy...

Also consider getting them cerakoted but
Plastic dip will work, just might peel off and need to reapply. Especially if u actually usem
Once

Lize

Reaction score
@Jhill painted his Rebel hooks red:

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Jhill painted his Rebel hooks red:
Duplicolor makes rattle cans in paint code matching colors. I scuffed tow hooks up with scotch brite pad, then primed with Duplicolor primer, then 2+ coats of color. Let dry well for a couple of days and then reinstall.
IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3408.JPG

TwinSac

Reaction score
I don't love questions like these:
Dupli-Color has a few different shades of red. I'm not matching anything yet so any red would work if I just do tow-hooks red...but I in the future I'd like to red out the RAM in the grill. Any idea what that shade of red would be in Dupli-Color?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't love questions like these:
Dupli-Color has a few different shades of red. I'm not matching anything yet so any red would work if I just do tow-hooks red...but I in the future I'd like to red out the RAM in the grill. Any idea what that shade of red would be in Dupli-Color?

I used the flame red with PR4 code that matches truck. There are vinyl overlays available that go over R-A-M letters. WWW.ReflectiveConcepts.com has them in most any color, a regular red similar to PR4 flame red and an orange red like GMC colors grill letters. . 5 minutes to install. Well cut for perfect fit on face of letters.

Last edited:

Go24girl

Reaction score
Duplicolor makes rattle cans in paint code matching colors. I scuffed tow hooks up with scotch brite pad, then primed with Duplicolor primer, then 2+ coats of color. Let dry well for a couple of days and then reinstall.
View attachment 33006 View attachment 33007
I cannot get the bolts to budget to remove my hooks for paint. Even the autobody place couldn't get them to move. What did you use? Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 14974 View attachment 14976
I liked the looks of the red tow hooks on the Jeep GC Trailhawk, so I wanted to see how they would look on my truck. I tried plasti-dip but it looked slightly pink with the patriot blue paint. I wasn't trying to color match anything, I just looked for a red that was more on the orange side of the red spectrum. I like how it looks...

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 47

TVANVA

Reaction score
Go24Girl.......

Tow Hook bolts are torqued to 137 ft lbs (front bolt) and 85 ft lbs (back bolt), so you need a big wrench in a very tight spot.

3/4" air impact wrench with an extension and universal joint might do it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was having problems using a 3/8 ratchet to loosen them, so I used a 1/2" air impact wrench to remove the bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online