5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painting Calipers and removing EPB

Dewright

Reaction score
Hello members. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 and i am wanting to remove my brake calipers to paint them. My question is on the Electric Parking Brake. My plan was to put the EPB in "service mode" to retract the parking brake and then remove it to paint the Calipers, reinstall caliper and EPB, then bleed the brakes . There are no Ram specific videos or info on the EPB removal but i found some other chrysler videos how to service the rear brakes with EPB wich show to put the vehicle in service mode then disconnect the battery. Any body know if removing the electrical connector or disconnecting the battery will cause any check engine or fault lights during this proceedure. I know painting in place with a kit would be easier but i prefer to pull the brakes and spray paint. Thanks

Skater

Reaction score
Did you ever think of wrapping them instead of painting them? If so, what caused you to decide to paint instead of wrap?

Tonner

Reaction score
Did you ever think of wrapping them instead of painting them? If so, what caused you to decide to paint instead of wrap?
Very interesting. I had every intention on getting my calipers wrapped but the place that was going to do it said that the split calipers like the one on my truck don’t come out very good because of how many pieces that need to be cut. He highly suggested that I get them painted instead.

Skater

Reaction score
Actually, he may be correct. I wrapped the calipers on my F-150 and it was a pain, but worth it. I had not really considered the calipers on my Ram requiring a more intricate and complicated process due to configuration as a result of split calipers, but he may just have a point. If you look at the VViVid website for the wrap, it shows a single piece of wrapping being used, so I thought it may not be that difficult. You have me thinking now which direction to go with this.:unsure:

Last edited:

Yangster

Reaction score
I've painted my wife's Red Lexus Convertible caliper's a bright red and they looked great. I used: https://www.g2usa.com/

My 2021 Longhorn should be arriving in a few weeks. Since it's the Ivory White/Brown, I'm on the fence. Not sure if White Calipers would look good.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Very interesting. I had every intention on getting my calipers wrapped but the place that was going to do it said that the split calipers like the one on my truck don’t come out very good because of how many pieces that need to be cut. He highly suggested that I get them painted instead.
Split calipers? You mean calipers with separate bracket? Versus monoblock Brembo style? Hmmm, never knew or heard them described this way, but then, I'm also just learning that Brembo's are mono-block calipers.
Also just now learning about wrapping calipers, definitely thought painting or powder coating were the only ways to colorize calipers.
Definitely been thinking I want some "pop" in my wheel wells.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Don't use that. Ensure you use the G2 paint system. It's a two-part epoxy and the results are unparalleled.
Interesting. Will make note and look into it. Can you color wheels with it also? Recommended or bad idea for that application?

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I might be on the unpopular side here, but why remove them? I painted mine black and I just used some bags and aluminum foil to cover everything up and then sprayed them with high temp paint. They turned out good and no over spray either.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I highly recommend this stuff. Paint it t on with a brush. It's thick and self levels. I haven't done the truck yet, but I've done several other vehicles with great success. Small can, but goes a long way. Usually can get two vehicles done with one can. Buy a pack of various sized brushes. Stuff dries quick, so a brush usually only lasts about a one caliper.

I usually do one light coat to make it sticky and then follow with a thick coat.
f88bf0dfc00a0a9a02309ec86fea1c17.jpg
6994b5367852835f87228c7f9af285d5.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread