5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Protection Film/ Ceramic Coating

Dupras

Reaction score
Looking to see everyone’s thoughts on this. Picking up a new 2022 1500 Limited soon and thinking about getting PPF with ceramic coating done to the entire truck. Looking for thoughts or experiences that others have had.
Have you done the whole truck? Only certain parts? Suggestions?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PPF on the entire outside is overkill and will cost you roughly $5-6k if not more. I would stick to just doing the high traffic more prone to chip areas.

For example assuming it’s painted and not chrome. Front bumper, panel underneath the headlights, headlights, hood…even partial hood is okay, grill (you shouldn’t have to worry about that since it’s a limited and not painted), partial or full fender, A pillars, roof cap, mirror caps (if painted), these areas will be where most of chipping will occur.

If your wanting to go with AT tires or wider wheels.. I suggest doing all four flares (if your limited comes with them), rocker panels, partial on the doors underneath the body line. Rear bumper wouldn’t be a bad idea if you tend to back in a lot and get close to bushes etc.

Yes to ceramic coating the exterior completely once PPF if applied.

Dupras

Reaction score
PPF on the entire outside is overkill and will cost you roughly $5-6k if not more. I would stick to just doing the high traffic more prone to chip areas.

For example assuming it’s painted and not chrome. Front bumper, panel underneath the headlights, headlights, hood…even partial hood is okay, grill (you shouldn’t have to worry about that since it’s a limited and not painted), partial or full fender, A pillars, roof cap, mirror caps (if painted), these areas will be where most of chipping will occur.

If your wanting to go with AT tires or wider wheels.. I suggest doing all four flares (if your limited comes with them), rocker panels, partial on the doors underneath the body line. Rear bumper wouldn’t be a bad idea if you tend to back in a lot and get close to bushes etc.

Yes to ceramic coating the exterior completely once PPF if applied.
This was so incredibly helpful! Thank you

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like purpleRT mentioned, you can ppf the front and ceramic coat over top of that and the paint.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s what I’ve done on mine. My previous 4th Gen Ram I had done some PPF mainly up front but to save some money skipped out on some of the other areas I’ve mentioned above. Sure enough when I went to trade it in and gave it a last wash I noticed the chips in areas where it would of been protected had I spent the additional money. Mainly the roof cap, A pillars and eventually the flares and some of the side door/rocker panel due to the AT tires with a bit more poke then stock I was running. I work out of state so I’m constantly commuting so my trucks see a lot of hwy miles. Just my $.2 on what works for me.

Edit: since it’s a limited I would go full hood ( I was thinking sports hood which has the giant plastic trim piece that takes up most of the back end of the hood ), the money you’ll save not having to do the chrome bits should offset the additional cost.

Dupras

Reaction score
That’s helpful. So you think no to the grill since it’s a non chrome limited?

Cajun_

Reaction score
Looking to see everyone’s thoughts on this. Picking up a new 2022 1500 Limited soon and thinking about getting PPF with ceramic coating done to the entire truck. Looking for thoughts or experiences that others have had.
Have you done the whole truck? Only certain parts? Suggestions?
like a few others have already suggested I went with the entire front of my truck, along the entire side of the truck below the silver limited trim and getting the same area behind the rear wheels is also important. PPF was also put on my door sills and the black plastic B pillars. I recommend xpel PPF. Ceramic coating is also a no brainer. Something I wish I would have done was get the lowest end professional ceramic coating so I can get a new paint correction after the 1-3 years. I've got a lifetime coating now and that means no correction unless I want to completely redo the coating on the truck. Also look into ceramic tint especially on the windshield and sunroof. Cuts down on heat way more than you think it will and may save that leather dash. The PPF alone shouldn't cost more than 2k to get what I did regardless of where you live and the ceramic tint normally only costs $100 more than normal tint for every glass on the truck. Coating costs may vary so do your own research on that and paint correction is a must regardless of it being a new truck. to answer to question above, No need to do the grill chrome or not.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s helpful. So you think no to the grill since it’s a non chrome limited?

If it’s chrome = leave it alone shouldn’t need PPF

If it’s painted = PPF

I didn’t think the Limited came with painted grills unless the owner personally have it did done but I could be wrong lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

german88

Reaction score
Not a fan of PPF. I'm in the "fill any visible chips" camp with a good base/clear and keep it detailed. Waste of $ IMHO.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh yeah forgot about the night editions lol. I know some don’t care and don’t mind repainting every few years if the chips get bad enough but I may be the minority that prefers to keep factory paint as best as I can.

Dupras

Reaction score
Oh yeah forgot about the night editions lol. I know some don’t care and don’t mind repainting every few years if the chips get bad enough but I may be the minority that prefers to keep factory paint as best as I can.

Yeah if I’m spending 90k on a truck, I’m in the camp where I want that paint as pristine as I can

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had PPF done on mine from the front doors forward, no partials and above the windshield. Your front end will get nicked up either way but with PPF, you simply replace the film rather than repaint or fill in chips making the front end looking like a high schooler with bad acne.
Do paint correction before PPF then ceramic coat everything after PPF

Dupras

Reaction score
I had PPF done on mine from the front doors forward, no partials and above the windshield. Your front end will get nicked up either way but with PPF, you simply replace the film rather than repaint or fill in chips making the front end looking like a high schooler with bad acne.
Do paint correction before PPF then ceramic coat everything after PPF
What do you mean paint correction?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Using a buffer to correct the paint and get out any imperfections like swirls, scratches etc. any quality shop will have to do this either way before applying PPF or ceramic coating it because basically ceramic coating “locks” in anything that’s underneath it. Similar with PPF because if there’s imperfections you can see it somewhat underneath the film. Usually this is factored into the price anyways by most shops when they give you a quote, being a new truck that can probably use a one step product and get it damn near perfect but the condition of your paint will determine that.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah if I’m spending 90k on a truck, I’m in the camp where I want that paint as pristine as I can

Same here. Some will say it’s a truck blah, or I’ll replace it after so many years etc but my opinion is it that doesn’t matter do what you can to keep it looking as great as it can when you spending upwards of let’s say $50k+ on a truck versus a $5k beater lol.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had the bumper, pieces under the headlights, headlights, brow, and front of the hood done. didn't mess with anything higher and don't have any chips in those areas. I'm glad I did not do the mirrors because I had them both replaced under warranty anyway when the stopped folding.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Using a buffer to correct the paint and get out any imperfections like swirls, scratches etc. any quality shop will have to do this either way before applying PPF or ceramic coating it because basically ceramic coating “locks” in anything that’s underneath it. Similar with PPF because if there’s imperfections you can see it somewhat underneath the film. Usually this is factored into the price anyways by most shops when they give you a quote, being a new truck that can probably use a one step product and get it damn near perfect but the condition of your paint will determine that.

Any quality shop should do this for at extra charge before PPF or ceramic coating. OP, unless you can do that part yourself, expect an additional $1500-2000

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good point, I had two quality shops quote me when I was looking to get it done one roughly quoted a one step polish of the truck plus just the PPF the other just the ppf and wanted to wait on the paint correction quote till they had the truck in person. Just a heads up so your not shocked at the price.

Users who are viewing this thread