5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overland Builds

endurokIng

Reaction score
Hey guys, just ordered my 2019 Rebel. Have big plans for an overland/off-road build.
  1. Rack systems
    1. Over cab platform rack
    2. Headache rack attachment (kind of like Addictive Desert Designs) so you can mount rotopax on lights on
  2. Suspension/Steering
    1. Hopefully Carli, Thuren, or Icon
  3. Performance
    1. What can we do performance wise...exhaust, header recommendations?
  4. Interior
    1. Would like to install cams, GPS, button layout system for lights, winch etc.
  5. Exterior
    1. ADD bumper? Any other less expensive bumpers?
    2. Skid plates, diff cover, any other ideas?
Looking for more ideas, post those photos!

AMarsh

Reaction score
I'll share as things get going. Just got a snugtop cap and will be working on a sleeping platform/drawer system the next few weeks. Lights to come soon as well. I'll probably keep the stock suspension until next summer. I'd love to get some sliders and skid plates soon but both of those are hard to find so may have to be custom. I'll be getting a roof rack too but that'll probably be over winter and I'm looking for something super low profile, until then my jerry cans, hi lift, and TRED will stay in the bed.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
This is a Tacoma build, but very similar to what I'm going to do to my Rebel once I finally get her.

ADK Ram

Reaction score
Front Runner Slimline II rack with mounts directly to bed utility rails, iKamper Skycamp 1.0 RTT, front Runner 2.5M awning. I've got a slide out solar panel system going on later tonight, and I'll be adding my Solar Shower 4 once I have my custom mounting brackets developed. Will eventually be doing a winch, lift, and wheels/tires too.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7552.jpeg
    IMG_7552.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 158

Helmetface

Reaction score
My current overland plan is to just get a full blown bed cap from ARE (or similar), with a set of heavy duty roof racks affixed to it.

Then I'll mount a RTT to the racks on the cap.

This way, I'll have more than enough storage that is well secured in the bed. And my tent solution will be completely out of the way. I'm not overly concerned about height, as I know I'm going to be up there.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Front Runner Slimline II rack with mounts directly to bed utility rails...

Are your rails going to hold that much weight (tent, water, etc)?

I'm looking at the Max Modular Alumax right now, with the intent of slapping a RTT on top.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
My current overland plan is to just get a full blown bed cap from ARE (or similar), with a set of heavy duty roof racks affixed to it.

Then I'll mount a RTT to the racks on the cap.

Check this video out. Andrew goes into the pros and cons of different racks, and using a fiberglass cap vs an aluminum cap. I'm not a fan of aluminum caps, but what he says makes some sense. The video's a bit long, but it's full of useful info.

blownout1500

Reaction score
Hey guys, just ordered my 2019 Rebel. Have big plans for an overland/off-road build.
  1. Rack systems
    1. Over cab platform rack
    2. Headache rack attachment (kind of like Addictive Desert Designs) so you can mount rotopax on lights on
  2. Suspension/Steering
    1. Hopefully Carli, Thuren, or Icon
  3. Performance
    1. What can we do performance wise...exhaust, header recommendations?
  4. Interior
    1. Would like to install cams, GPS, button layout system for lights, winch etc.
  5. Exterior
    1. ADD bumper? Any other less expensive bumpers?
    2. Skid plates, diff cover, any other ideas?
Looking for more ideas, post those photos!
28690 28691 28692

ADK Ram

Reaction score
Are your rails going to hold that much weight (tent, water, etc)?

I'm looking at the Max Modular Alumax right now, with the intent of slapping a RTT on top.

I was concerned about it at first, but those things are solid. I'm not going to store water on the rack - my plan is to have the main tank resting in the bed near the back wall. So I'm in good shape.

blownout1500

Reaction score
Can you explain your bed set up? Looks like an ARE cap, what about the tent? How does it raise?

Yeah, ARE Z2 Cap w/ topper EZ lift system. Low profile and really just works. Built a bed platform to put a full size 35” spare, surfboards, and gear below with still plenty of room for tired humans above. Can’t say enough about the system.
29344 29345 29346 29347 29348

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yeah, ARE Z2 Cap w/ topper EZ lift system. Low profile and really just works. Built a bed platform to put a full size 35” spare, surfboards, and gear below with still plenty of room for tired humans above. Can’t say enough about the system.
View attachment 29344 View attachment 29345 View attachment 29346 View attachment 29347 View attachment 29348
Well done! Thanks for the info.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 29344 View attachment 29345 View attachment 29346 View attachment 29347 View attachment 29348
...and the tent panels?

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score

...and the tent panels?

I just went to the Topper site from your link and saw they sell the panels and a camper kit. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread