5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our First Look At The All-New Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter GME-T6 Inline-Six Engine!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Our First Look At The All-New Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter GME-T6 Inline-Six Engine!​

Will Be A $2,000 Option In The Grand Wagoneer...​

GMET6.jpg

One of the worst-kept secrets within the Stellantis North American organization has to be the upcoming twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter GME-T6 inline-six-cylinder engine. Known internally as the “GME-T6” will make its world debut this month at the New York International Auto Show (NYIAS). The new GME-T6 is part of the Stellantis Global Medium Engine (GME) family and has been under development for a number of years, as the next-generation do-it-all engine architecture for a number of Chrysler Group products in the North American market.

n8zcc

Reaction score
If I'm ever in a position to acquire a vehicle and this power plant is an option and if it has 3 or more years of production, I'd take it.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay, I'll ask the obvious - why twin turbos? Doesn't that complicate things more than necessary?

n8zcc

Reaction score
Okay, I'll ask the obvious - why twin turbos? Doesn't that complicate things more than necessary?
Good question, perhaps it is all about marketing since "twin-turbo" seems to be a popular call-out these days.

I know in the past, a twin-turbo design was used in V engines to reduce the complexity of piping.

If it is a sequential twin-turbo, then one turbo is used for low RPM boost to eliminate turbo lag and the other for higher RPM boost. I haven't seen the word "sequential" reference made but you never know.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s crazy to think that it’s a 2k up charge from the 6.4l. Unless it gets way better MPG I can’t see why you’d want this over the 6.4 unless you just like a turbo engine. Now when it’s offered in the Ram 1500 I can see getting that option if you tow.

I know why it’s an up charge from the 6.4l but I know a lot of us had wished they make the 6.4 available in the Ram and instead they made it available in the Wrangler and Wagoneer.

I know it’s only a matter of time but this has to be the beginning of the end for the Hemi

Last edited:

n8zcc

Reaction score
I know why it’s an up charge from the 6.4l but I know a lot of us had wished they make the 6.4 available in the Ram and instead they made it available in the Wrangler and Wagoneer.

Sounds like it is the GM Cadillac marketing game. GM always provided Cadillac with the new explosive options before the options showed up on Chevys.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2 smaller turbos spool up much quicker than a single larger turbo.

So, looks much harder to change the exhaust manifold gaskets...🤔

🤣

Last edited:

n8zcc

Reaction score
Looks like I ordered my new truck to soon. Should have waited for this powerplant.
When I was a young engineer just out of school and entered the workforce full of ideas and ambitions, the seniors I was assigned to gave me my first two real lessons. The first lesson was something called the Gartner hype cycle. It is a chart that displays the hype curve of a new product from the concept to the peak of expectations, followed by the plunge to the reality of disillusionment to the rising slope of reality. You can find many representations of this using a search on the Internet but it looks like this;
1648502302594.png

The second lesson was how to respond to management regarding product development and presures, tell management they can have any two of the three choices, fast, working, or cheap.

This new power plant may be the greatest thing since green grass and sliced bread, or not. A few years of production and out in the wild will anser the question. Don't be in a rush.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The second lesson was how to respond to management regarding product development and presures, tell management they can have any two of the three choices, fast, working, or cheap.
But not at the same time...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s crazy to think that it’s a 2k up charge from the 6.4l. Unless it gets way better MPG I can’t see why you’d want this over the 6.4 unless you just like a turbo engine. Now when it’s offered in the Ram 1500 I can see getting that option if you tow.

I know it’s only a matter of time but this has to be the beginning of the end for the Hemi

Depends on which version of the 3.0 the option is for. The SO or HO, with the SO making 400hp /450 lb-ft, the HO making 500hp / 475lb-ft. The 6.4L in the grand Wagoneer is rated at 471hp / 455lb-ft. So power wise, it makes sense if you are comparing the SO 3.0 vs the 6.4L, not including the fuel savings.

However, the president of Stellantis stated the 5.7L and Hemi engines are well loved and they aren't currently replacing any of those engines for the 3.0L. Ford still offers a mix of motors and so does GM, makes sense that Stellantis if finally offering more than just the Hemi and 3.6L.

Jack

Reaction score
The HEMI is one of the more reliable engines out there. I am concerned about this I-6 twin turbo's longevity.

Unlike Toyota's and Ford's engines, this engine does not appear to have dual injection where both port injection and direct injection are present. Ask any mechanic and they'll tell you how GDI(gasoline direct injection) engines have carbon buildup problems.

Excess carbon buildup is a matter of when, not if for GDI engines. In engines with port injection such as the HEMI, or engines with dual injection such as Ford's Ecoboost, gasoline is injected before the intake valves and cleans the intake valves on its way into the cylinders.

GDI engines with carbon buildup can result in rough idling, cold start issues, poor fuel economy, low power, and the engine running rich.

In my opinion, all companies should have dual port+direct injection. The fact that they don't indicate that they do not care about long term reliability pass warranty period.

The best way to clean intake valve is to take the intake manifold apart and blast tiny walnut bits under high pressure onto the valves. Yes they use actual walnut shell to clean intake valves. The cheap/lazy method is to pray petroleum/nitrogen based fuel cleanser into negative pressure vacuum lines, but the results may vary.

DavidNJ

Reaction score

Not that much of a difference, 6.4 vs HO. The advantage is greater at higher altitudes where the turbo deals with the lower air pressure if the intercooler and cooling system can deal with the lower efficiencies at high ambient temperatures.

Untitled picture.png

As for towing, I can't imagine any V8 is better than the diesel. Towing range is very important and with the weight and aerodynamic drag of a trailer give the diesel an even bigger advantage. Does towing a car hauler or RV (a ~9k lb,100+ inch tall box) ever get over 10mpg with the 5.7?

Untitled picture.png

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As for towing, I can't imagine any V8 is better than the diesel. Towing range is very important and with the weight and aerodynamic drag of a trailer give the diesel an even bigger advantage.
Zero chance I'd go with the little diesel over the Hemi, and something like 80% of the miles on my truck have been with a trailer behind it.

Does towing a car hauler or RV (a ~9k lb,100+ inch tall box) ever get over 10mpg with the 5.7?
12.1 mpg with my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread