5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oscillating humming noise?

tyresmoker

Reaction score
I posted a similar topic over i n the general forums..Actually not sure this might just pertain to diesel trucks?
I get this very distinct oscillating/humming sound that starts at 65 mph, is most prominent at almost exactly 70mph and fades a bit at higher speeds.
Road surface does not matter, nor does on or off the throttle.
Anyone else experiencing this?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I posted a similar topic over i n the general forums..Actually not sure this might just pertain to diesel trucks?
I get this very distinct oscillating/humming sound that starts at 65 mph, is most prominent at almost exactly 70mph and fades a bit at higher speeds.
Road surface does not matter, nor does on or off the throttle.
Anyone else experiencing this?

Hello tyresmoker,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent humming concern. Have you considered addressing this with your local RAM dealer? If you decide to go this route and would like additional assistance throughout this process, please reach out to us privately.
Laura
RamCares

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Hey,

I also have a 2020 limited ecodiesel, exact same issue. Dealer ordered a new driveshaft but it was backordered. I'll let you know if it fixes anything once installed. Keep me posted also. It's super annoying...

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Hey,

I also have a 2020 limited ecodiesel, exact same issue. Dealer ordered a new driveshaft but it was backordered. I'll let you know if it fixes anything once installed. Keep me posted also. It's super annoying...
Thank you!

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
I was just told the driveshaft is backordered until May. Or maybe later... whoa....

tyresmoker

Reaction score
I have done some more research into what is causing this. It is called "driveline boom". It seems to be mostly caused my mis-alligned driveshaft/rear differential.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Truck is in the shop for the "boom"...They are changing one of the tires.
Man, I went through two Cadillac Escalade buybacks (one replacement, the second, a buy-out) recently. I really hope this is not going down the same road....

Scram1500

Reaction score
5.7 hemi here, going in next week for a similar oscillation from rear of vehicle

Scram1500

Reaction score
60 to 70. Seems to happen worse when I'm on and off the gas, not as much when cruising on level ground. Holding a constant 67 on a mild incline really brings it out, as does letting off the gas and letting the engine/trans slow the truck down. I've had the tires balanced with no change, also rotated with no change. Ruled out ANC, Active Mass Modules, and MDS. The symptoms sound a lot like a bad u joint. I forsee many trips to the dealership. Don't read the thread "slight vibration", its a dark place

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Yeh I'm still waiting for a back ordered driveshaft to see if thay solves it. To me it sounds like a bad diff gear mesh or u-joint.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Yeh I'm still waiting for a back ordered driveshaft to see if thay solves it. To me it sounds like a bad diff gear mesh or u-joint.
Still backordered until May?

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Dealer just called. They took the factory tonneau cover off and claim the noise is gone?!?
Going to pick it up in a bit. Will report back.

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Dealer just called. They took the factory tonneau cover off and claim the noise is gone?!?
Going to pick it up in a bit. Will report back.

C'mon... lol
Maybe we have different issues.

Tri-fold, hard or soft?

My truck was on the hoist and the noise was confirmed. Definitely not the cover.

That would be cool if you at least find the root cause of yours.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
C'mon... lol
Maybe we have different issues.

Tri-fold, hard or soft?

My truck was on the hoist and the noise was confirmed. Definitely not the cover.

That would be cool if you at least find the root cause of yours.
Totally agree! I picked it up last night but didn't have time to run it on the highway. Will do so today and report back...
I have the factory tri-fold on mine.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Totally agree! I picked it up last night but didn't have time to run it on the highway. Will do so today and report back...
I have the factory tri-fold on mine.
Problem solved. It was the tonneau cover drumming. I am very happy this seemed to do the trick. I just took the cover off and drove about 10 miles on the highway with cruise set at 70mph and the noise is gone!

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
Problem solved. It was the tonneau cover drumming. I am very happy this seemed to do the trick. I just took the cover off and drove about 10 miles on the highway with cruise set at 70mph and the noise is gone!

Wow. Thanks for the follow up. Good to hear at least one of us has a quiet truck again.

Users who are viewing this thread