5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering my cold weather package after purchase..part numbers confirm

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to make sure these are the right part numbers before I call my dealer. Anything else I need? I have a lift, can I install the engine block heater myself?

dYnunH0.png

2021 EcoDiesel Limited.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
Block heater is already installed on all Eco diesels from the manufacturer. All you need is the cord which can be bought on Amazon for under $20.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not too sure if you'd need that grill cover. I don't know your location or the cold you're expecting, but the EcoDiesels have that shutter grill in front of the engine that does most of what the old-school diesel covers would do.

Again, not sure how cold you're preparing the truck to go, but you may not need that $130 piece of cloth and vinyl.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Block heater is already installed on all Eco diesels from the manufacturer. All you need is the cord which can be bought on Amazon for under $20.
Not necessarily true for 2022 models…ask your dealer if the block heater is still automatically installed as we have heard from at least one member where this was not the case.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to make sure these are the right part numbers before I call my dealer. Anything else I need? I have a lift, can I install the engine block heater myself?

dYnunH0.png

2021 EcoDiesel Limited.
Look on eBay as you can pick up the new weather fronts for $75…genuine Mopar.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At least I can visually confirm mine does have the heater block installed. I can see the plug so now I just need a cord.

Most HD diesels up here run the grill covers in the Winter. We see temps between 20F and -25F as the maximum high low in January-February. I may go without it one year to see how things go.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At least I can visually confirm mine does have the heater block installed. I can see the plug so now I just need a cord.

Most HD diesels up here run the grill covers in the Winter. We see temps between 20F and -25F as the maximum high low in January-February. I may go without it one year to see how things go.
Yours is a 2021 according to your signature thus it will have the block heater…it is the 2022 MY that appears to be missing if not ordered…hard to believe on a diesel.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Lol... yeah, -25F is definitely chilly.

(15 years ago, in Vermont at a B and B, I parked my Honda Pilot outside overnight. It was -6F in the morning. Sure, the cold-soaked vehicle started right up, but it let me know it didn't like it. ;) )

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen -30°C with and I don't run the grill cover. Unlike the Gen2 it's not required as per the manual. Truck had no problems warming up and staying warm.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol... yeah, -25F is definitely chilly.

(15 years ago, in Vermont at a B and B, I parked my Honda Pilot outside overnight. It was -6F in the morning. Sure, the cold-soaked vehicle started right up, but it let me know it didn't like it. ;) )

-30 back in 2012 my stick shift was stuck in 1st gear until about 10 minutes of idling. That was COLD!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: c3k

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they did a lot of work with the 5th gen to help things get up to temperature quickly. Cold fluids aren't good for anything, especially fuel economy.

I plugged my diesel in once last year just to try it out. It's kind of a pain in the butt with the stock block heater because the cord is so short you have to leave the hood open unless you reroute and add an extension.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they did a lot of work with the 5th gen to help things get up to temperature quickly. Cold fluids aren't good for anything, especially fuel economy.

I plugged my diesel in once last year just to try it out. It's kind of a pain in the butt with the stock block heater because the cord is so short you have to leave the hood open unless you reroute and add an extension.

I've had several block heaters. On all of them, I route the cord so it is accessible under the air dam or through the grill (model dependent). For my Ram I'm going to add a NOCO plug and set it up just on the lower front, just ahead of the passenger wheel.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yours is a 2021 according to your signature thus it will have the block heater…it is the 2022 MY that appears to be missing if not ordered…hard to believe on a diesel.

Most of the info we've seen points to an August 2021 cut-off on the standard block heaters. After that no builds come standard with the heater on the Ram unless the buyer chooses the Cold Weather package. On the Jeep pickup even the Cold Weather package doesn't get the block heater, it must be selected as a stand-alone option.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All you need is "KAT 28500" you can get it everywhere. That's the cord. The OEM cord is stored and from the plastic mount behind the headlight. Just zip tie it so it cant hit the exhaust.

the_glassman

Reaction score
I ordered my RAM with the cold weather group, does anyone know what it entails? I see there's a cord for the block heater in the engine bay, but it doesn't extend to the grille or bumper. Additionally, I can't find the grille cover that I know was supposed to be included with the package. When I reached out to my salesperson, they said they'd look into it for me. I just want to make sure I've got everything I ordered.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my RAM with the cold weather group, does anyone know what it entails? I see there's a cord for the block heater in the engine bay, but it doesn't extend to the grille or bumper. Additionally, I can't find the grille cover that I know was supposed to be included with the package. When I reached out to my salesperson, they said they'd look into it for me. I just want to make sure I've got everything I ordered.
There's a little flap by the headlight plastic. Lift that up. your cord should be in there. Follow the wiring up.

Users who are viewing this thread