5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering 2021 EcoDiesel March 13, 2021 Have Questions on options and accessories

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I’m ordering a Billet Silver Rebel EcoDiesel on March 13, 2021 at $1,000 over invoice, about 21% off MSRP and have a few questions.

I tow a 7500lb loaded trailer all summer and got 6-8mpg in my Hemi and could only go 360-375km with my 120L/36gallon tank. Trying to maximize payload on the new one and was thinking of going with the 98L tank as it should outmile the Hemi with the larger based on 11-14mpg. Anyone tow that heavy and can advise on mileage , or if you wished for a larger tank?

2nd Q - for those that don’t have airbags and tow heavy, do you wish you had them? I have airlift manual bags on my 4th gen and they did great for $115, with the storied I’m hearing of airbags/lines freezing up in the cold temps and failures I’m Leary of getting them, but definitely needed to keep the headlights pointed down, even with a proper wd setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like you, I went from the 4th gen Ram with the Hemi to the Rebel with the ecodiesel, I did have the larger 121L tank on my Hemi and it needed it, my Rebel has the 98L tank, if I was to order, I would defiantly get the larger tank.
The first thing I added to my Rebel was the Airlift 1000 HD, I hate loading the bed or towing and having the headlights pointing in the air, they are definitely worth it, I did have them on my 4th gen Ram also.
As for towing, I towed my flatbed trailer, around 5,000lbs and used the weight distribution hitch, no problem towing at all and the fuel consumption was so much better than my 2011 Ram with the Hemi. I also tow my enclosed trailer 8x16 with my tractor in it so about 4300 lbs, I don’t go far so I don’t bother with the WDH, it is bouncier and does catch the wind compared to my flatbed trailer it has no problem towing it. I towed that same trailer on the highway, 600km round trip with light furniture inside 17 mpg @ 100 kph one way 19 mpg on way back at 90 kph.
I haven’t towed heavier, so can’t help you there.
I have a 29 foot travel but I leave it parked at my in-laws cottage.
My wife and I will be towing this small trailer across Canada next year, 14.5 ft and only 2500 lbs.
You will like the the diesel torque and efficiency. A2081A0B-B64E-48F1-9CC4-2C919F6CE277.jpeg

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just get a rebel with factory air suspension?

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
I had a 14 Limited EcoDiesel with factory air and it was great for towing. Sold it last 18 months ago for a 20 Raptor, just sold the Raptor have another Limited EcoDiesel on order. They are too perfect for towing. I only tow about 4500 #'s but the air suspension will make you lazy. I would lower the truck back under the ball go into offroad 2, will be offroad 1 now, the new truck has ord. But it's so easy on the back not cranking the dogleg on the trailers. I think air suspension is one of those things that seems frivolous until you have it, then suddenly it's a necessity (I thought heated steering wheels were a joke until I had a truck with one in -17 deg. F ). I am sure plenty of people who have never had it will say it's no big deal. But if you ask those who tow that do have it if they would consider not having it, you might hear many more who would not give it up. As for the freezing never heard of it. I live in Elko NV, gets pretty cold although the last few winters have been quite mild. Not many days below zero. We call on the mining industry and drive 30-50K a year, lots of offroad. I have an account manager that broke the mount for the air compressor on his, I want to say he fixed it for a few hundred. He just passed 270K on his truck it's a 16. I had over 100K on mine when I turned it in no airbag problems, had glowplug issues and I could not be without a truck for work, so hence the Raptor. As for the first question, I assume the 98L tank is the 33 gallon in the US upgrade. If you like to stop when traveling, snacks, bathroom breaks, and want to tow a big *** trailer through a gas station skip it. I would get it for sure. You will get much better range and give you better choices about when to stop and which gas station, I rather not stop if I don't have to when traveling, and if I do I don't necessarily want to have to get gas. If it's just a bathroom break rest stops can be faster. Congrats on whatever you get, great choice enjoy.

rubikcube

Reaction score
I tow a 6300lb airstream with my 2020 limited eco diesel. I have the 33 gal tank. I get about 14mpg when towing.
I would definitely get the 33 gal tank again. If you are concerned about payload and want to lighten up the truck a bit, just fill the tank to 2/3 full.

NWRogue

Reaction score
unless you are planning on putting something under the bed in the area the larger fuel tank consumes over the smaller, you cannot go wrong with the larger tank. I don't tow yet, so cannot speak for towing mileage, but the range you will get with the extra fuel definitely outweighs the added cost for me. only downsides are the weight of the extra fuel (probably a max payload hit here), and it costs more to fuel up, but you'd be paying for that fuel anyway.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow an RV Fishouse fairly often. Probably towed it 3k miles in the last 6 months since I got my ecodiesel. The 33 gallon tank is something you will absolutely want if you tow as much as you say you will. But I understand your want of maximizing payload, I’m not sure how much weight the factory air suspension ads but I also understand your worry about getting it. I know it was a big problem on the 4th gens if you lived in a cold climate. Haven’t heard as many issues on the 5th gen. My RV has a heavy tongue weight of 650lbs dry so it’s probably over 700lbs when loaded up. The trailer itself is probaly 5k or so pounds total weight. I use the Airlift 1000HD airbags and my truck has the ORG so I have the heavier duty springs like the Rebel as well and it works great.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 33 gallon is amazing with the Ecodiesel. Empty I can get 1200-1300km per tank. Not filling up so often is awesome.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Why not just get a rebel with factory air suspension?

Cost wise the extra $1495 for air suspension and the rest of the options puts the MSRP price over $80,000CDN so the wife isn’t happy. Parts for it are also on back order or delayed so the order time estimate goes from 2 months to 5 months adding it in the dealer build database. I’d like it, but don’t want to wait that long as it puts the delivery into the beginning of model year 2022 availability and another depreciation hit.

So many choices.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 33 gallon is amazing with the Ecodiesel. Empty I can get 1200-1300km per tank. Not filling up so often is awesome.
I get about the same, 750 miles/tank. I think with some time on the engine, and the Summer Diesel Blend,
that range will go up. (29mpg x 33Gal = 957 miles) I am working on an AUX fuel tank for the Bed. this
will hold another 72 Gallons and transfer to the main tank while moving. (29mpg x 105 gal = 3045 miles).
Before you ask, I like to travel.

Malodave

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get a hand calculated 14 MPG towing if it's a utility trailer, but <10 MPG if it's my 24' enclosed trailer (more wind drag). This is better than my past V8 gasoline trucks, but not by much at all. When you factor in the price of diesel vs. 87 octane gasoline, there is ZERO money savings while towing with the EcoDiesel.

However, the EcoDiesel does tow in higher transmission gears at lower RPM and on a long trip I find this to be much more relaxed and less taxing on the body and mind.

Pristine1

Reaction score
My trailer weighs 7500-8k loaded. So payload was a major deciding factor. I ordered mine but without the larger tank. I would have liked to have it, that is a fact. These trucks are just payload dependent so I tried to shave off anything that wasn’t a must have. I already scaled my trailer and truck with the kids in tow. It was near fully loaded and the wife was missing. I have a Laramie with off road package. I took my 80# spare off and lost 29 pounds with the gas tank skid plate. If I have to, I’ll run my truck spare next to my trailer spare on the back. Anyways she was 3400 and 3400 on the scale. Looking great on exceeding axle weights except too much on the front axle which I could tell on my drive over, so I adjusted the hitch later and she drives like a dream. I had 400 to spare on payload. So I guess I don’t have an excuse to leave the wife at home.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Bumped up the order date due to scheduling issues. Here's the final build data:

Rebel Crew
Billet Silver monotone
Ecodiesel
Vinyl/cloth base seats
Black interior w/black seats
Comfort and Convenience group
Level 2 group
Cold Weather group
Alpine Sound system with sub
Spray-in bedliner
124L/36gallon tank
Manual trailer mirrors
Trailer brake controller
Rear Wheelhouse Liners

The only other option I wanted was the multi-function tailgate, but the ordering application kicked it out immediately and said "unavailable, no determinate date for availability". This wasn't a deal breaker, just a nice to have, so I saved the $1000 and went without.

Now the wait of anywhere between 8 weeks and 6 months. Dealer said Jeep Gladiators are stretching to 6 months, TRX at 8 weeks, and 1500's anywhere in between. With the lighter option load they thought it might be in the 2-3 month range.

Pristine1

Reaction score
Nice! Good luck on the wait time. Mine was 8-12 and I got it around 8 weeks.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m ordering a Billet Silver Rebel EcoDiesel on March 13, 2021 at $1,000 over invoice, about 21% off MSRP and have a few questions.

I tow a 7500lb loaded trailer all summer and got 6-8mpg in my Hemi and could only go 360-375km with my 120L/36gallon tank. Trying to maximize payload on the new one and was thinking of going with the 98L tank as it should outmile the Hemi with the larger based on 11-14mpg. Anyone tow that heavy and can advise on mileage , or if you wished for a larger tank?

2nd Q - for those that don’t have airbags and tow heavy, do you wish you had them? I have airlift manual bags on my 4th gen and they did great for $115, with the storied I’m hearing of airbags/lines freezing up in the cold temps and failures I’m Leary of getting them, but definitely needed to keep the headlights pointed down, even with a proper wd setup.

I understand the desire to maximaze payload, but you seem to want to improve the RANGE per TANK on your new truck. If that's the goal (prime goal?), then I would think the 33 gallon tank would be a no-brainer.

If you want the extra payload, just don't fill the tank all the way up. But the volume is there if you need it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bumped up the order date due to scheduling issues. Here's the final build data:

Rebel Crew
Billet Silver monotone
Ecodiesel
Vinyl/cloth base seats
Black interior w/black seats
Comfort and Convenience group
Level 2 group
Cold Weather group
Alpine Sound system with sub
Spray-in bedliner
124L/36gallon tank
Manual trailer mirrors
Trailer brake controller
Rear Wheelhouse Liners

The only other option I wanted was the multi-function tailgate, but the ordering application kicked it out immediately and said "unavailable, no determinate date for availability". This wasn't a deal breaker, just a nice to have, so I saved the $1000 and went without.

Now the wait of anywhere between 8 weeks and 6 months. Dealer said Jeep Gladiators are stretching to 6 months, TRX at 8 weeks, and 1500's anywhere in between. With the lighter option load they thought it might be in the 2-3 month range.
The good thing about not having the MFT is that your payload will increase.
Did think about the Ram boxes, one of the best options in my opinion, I keep all three size hitch receivers, air compressor, tie downs, cargo elastic mesh, tool box, tarp, hydraulic bottle jack, cross lug wrench, rags and there is still a lot of room left, before having the Rambox, most of that stuff I kept in the cab at the rear under seat storage and under the tonneau in the bed.
The Rambox option does lower the payload.
Good luck with your order, hopefully you will have your truck at the earliest possible time.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
The good thing about not having the MFT is that your payload will increase.
Did think about the Ram boxes, one of the best options in my opinion, I keep all three size hitch receivers, air compressor, tie downs, cargo elastic mesh, tool box, tarp, hydraulic bottle jack, cross lug wrench, rags and there is still a lot of room left, before having the Rambox, most of that stuff I kept in the cab at the rear under seat storage and under the tonneau in the bed.
The Rambox option does lower the payload.
Good luck with your order, hopefully you will have your truck at the earliest possible time.
I did seriously think about the ram boxes for storage as they would be excellent to have to remove items from under the back seat. Unfortunately, the ram boxes take away about 200 lbs payload and I find often my 5'7" box without ram boxes is right on the limit with respect to needed space. If I could have gotten the 6'4" bed with Rebel (not sure why this isn't offered?) the ram boxes would have been added as a no brainer.

Appreciate the responses from all so far. Definitely looking forward to this truck showing up. So far FCA/Stellantis has not provided a VIN to my dealer, so status is slow despite the new 84 hour shifts in the plant recently implemented.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did seriously think about the ram boxes for storage as they would be excellent to have to remove items from under the back seat. Unfortunately, the ram boxes take away about 200 lbs payload and I find often my 5'7" box without ram boxes is right on the limit with respect to needed space. If I could have gotten the 6'4" bed with Rebel (not sure why this isn't offered?) the ram boxes would have been added as a no brainer.

Appreciate the responses from all so far. Definitely looking forward to this truck showing up. So far FCA/Stellantis has not provided a VIN to my dealer, so status is slow despite the new 84 hour shifts in the plant recently implemented.
My bold, above: except the Ram Box is not an option for 6'4" beds.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
My bold, above: except the Ram Box is not an option for 6'4" beds.

Yep, another wtf FCA moment. 6’4” box with the 2500 and 3500 offer them, but not the 6’4” box for 1500? Some whacked out executive decision somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread