5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions wanted on possible upgrade of my Big Horn to Laramie

PTRAM

Reaction score
My current Big Horn is pretty well described in my signature. The main regret I have is not having the Advanced Safety Group. I have found a Laramie with the Advanced Safety Group on it and the MSRP of $55,200. My dealer would have to make a trade for it which he would do if I want to attempt to purchase it. It has everything I want but the Premium Led Lighting Group. So if anybody is driving one without the Premium Led Group--want your opinion of their visibility at night of course. I may be just looking for nothing as I know it is going to be difficult to make a trade after 3 months as I have done it many times. I looked for hours on the search site provided by FCA to find one 239 miles away but already called my sales manager and he does trade with this particular dealer. Now, the big question--my MSRP on my Big Horn is just $50,000. So I know it is my decision of how much I will give to move up but hoping it would be $10,000 or less--big time loser when you do what I may or may not do other than I would now have my ASG which I miss as my 2017 Jeep Cherokee has that feature. Yeah, haste makes waste or in this case--big money--not definite yet I will attempt to do it. Thanks for any input on the non Led Lights.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The led lights are nice, but not $10,000 nice in my opinion...

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
your question is sooooooooooo up my alley, i also bought the ONLY big horn black on black on black for a zillion miles away with no LED Pkge cuz it just wasn't available. My husband bought almost same truck a month earlier but WITH the LED's, but the chrome pkge...and honestly, i think mine "looks" as good because of my smoked out headlight lamps, but two different altogether styles. but dang i HATE the yellow hues my lights have. Not gonna go the "headlight revolution" route, and i too have been pricing trading in at about a cost for 8,000 -10,000 deciding which truck i choose, But with it, i would get NAV, blind spot and a few other extras.....

I personally think its totally worth it because IF u are a payment buyer, (which i am) $8-$10,000 more ONLY results in extending financing about 6 months and increasing note 40-50 bucks (if ya get a good rate) . and the vehicle u'd be getting has higher resale value also...

If you decide to do a deal, DO NOT accept his first offer on ur trade. Let him put numbers together, give you a buyers order, and then whatever is Drive Out, tell him reduce it by $2-3000 and you have a deal! they are so hurting right now.....you just let him know ur not "dying" for the new truck, but with a KILLER deal you could be persuaded : )

P>S> i think i read your post wrong... DO NOT give up the LED's, you will miss them just for the look alone!

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Few points I see---

-The ASG package is $2,300 so had you purchased that originally, you would have been out of that money regardless; which puts your $10k down to $7,700 estimate difference.
(I know either way you will be paying for it as additional cost but this is a selling point positive to the brain;))

-When estimating additional cost relative to payment, easiest math (without going to app or online auto calculators) is for every $1,000 add $20 to your payment. So roughly the $10k gonna be approx $180-200 more on monthly payment. Depending on what kind of great deal you can get or any other bonus/incentives. (and your APR%)

-I "want" the LED's but can live without them for now. Watching this thread on the LASFIT bulbs around $220 for the "LED" light but not the "look" of the LED's at Lil MAW described. How important is the LED's over the ASG to you?
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/headlight-bulb-replacement-bighorn.6298/page-7

-I rented a car for the night and drove from west coast of Florida over to east coast because that was the best deal around at the time as I was too impatient to order. I gave myself a year to decide with my current BigHorn; to either keep it or Order the next one...we shall see. This buffer time is allowing me to enjoy the new 2019 and see if this is the one I will keep for years or not while the kinks get straighten out (or...the monster engines get put in the 2020's!!!!) So, how deep of an itch is that SGA getting to ya??? Worth the driver farther if you find the deal since you already have your vehicle to make the drive to the destination for the swap.

-I have no issue with the non LED's. Have driven in our Florida thunderstorms, no issues....but I have not been spoiled by the LED's on a regular basis to really really miss them.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
If you are going to trade, do a lot of research on exactly what you want. Then maybe order which may give you a better deal than a dealer transfer and no buyers remorse again.

PTRAM

Reaction score
your question is sooooooooooo up my alley, i also bought the ONLY big horn black on black on black for a zillion miles away with no LED Pkge cuz it just wasn't available. My husband bought almost same truck a month earlier but WITH the LED's, but the chrome pkge...and honestly, i think mine "looks" as good because of my smoked out headlight lamps, but two different altogether styles. but dang i HATE the yellow hues my lights have. Not gonna go the "headlight revolution" route, and i too have been pricing trading in at about a cost for 8,000 -10,000 deciding which truck i choose, But with it, i would get NAV, blind spot and a few other extras.....

I personally think its totally worth it because IF u are a payment buyer, (which i am) $8-$10,000 more ONLY results in extending financing about 6 months and increasing note 40-50 bucks (if ya get a good rate) . and the vehicle u'd be getting has higher resale value also...

If you decide to do a deal, DO NOT accept his first offer on ur trade. Let him put numbers together, give you a buyers order, and then whatever is Drive Out, tell him reduce it by $2-3000 and you have a deal! they are so hurting right now.....you just let him know ur not "dying" for the new truck, but with a KILLER deal you could be persuaded : )

P>S> i think i read your post wrong... DO NOT give up the LED's, you will miss them just for the look alone!

Thanks for the head light information. I really miss that Advanced Safety Group so I am willing to make a fair deal to get that and of course the Laramie has some other features besides that. If I had done my home work I probably would have purchased a Laramie to begin with but the water is over the dam on that now. I have purchased many vehicles from this dealer so if I can't make a deal with him I will probably just pass on it. I attempted to purchase one from another local dealer about 2 years ago and my dealer was about 6000 dollars less than the other one. Of course the vehicle may not be available and I will have to continue my search. I spent probably 3 to 4 hours searching today. I want a Quad Cab as that fits our needs now--old age. There are not may Quad Cabs out there equipped like I want it and this is the only one I have found so far. I have the blind spot on my Big Horn and that is definitely a requirement and I thought I could live without the Advanced Safety Group and I can and will if I cannot get a reasonable trade. Oh, we are on a fixed income here, but could borrow a few thousand on a Laramie--Big Horn didn't require a loan. Just saw your don't not give up the LEDs---well, I probably won't as I doubt if I can get the deal I want.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Few points I see---

-The ASG package is $2,300 so had you purchased that originally, you would have been out of that money regardless; which puts your $10k down to $7,700 estimate difference.
(I know either way you will be paying for it as additional cost but this is a selling point positive to the brain;))

-When estimating additional cost relative to payment, easiest math (without going to app or online auto calculators) is for every $1,000 add $20 to your payment. So roughly the $10k gonna be approx $180-200 more on monthly payment. Depending on what kind of great deal you can get or any other bonus/incentives. (and your APR%)

-I "want" the LED's but can live without them for now. Watching this thread on the LASFIT bulbs around $220 for the "LED" light but not the "look" of the LED's at Lil MAW described. How important is the LED's over the ASG to you?
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/headlight-bulb-replacement-bighorn.6298/page-7

-I rented a car for the night and drove from west coast of Florida over to east coast because that was the best deal around at the time as I was too impatient to order. I gave myself a year to decide with my current BigHorn; to either keep it or Order the next one...we shall see. This buffer time is allowing me to enjoy the new 2019 and see if this is the one I will keep for years or not while the kinks get straighten out (or...the monster engines get put in the 2020's!!!!) So, how deep of an itch is that SGA getting to ya??? Worth the driver farther if you find the deal since you already have your vehicle to make the drive to the destination for the swap.

-I have no issue with the non LED's. Have driven in our Florida thunderstorms, no issues....but I have not been spoiled by the LED's on a regular basis to really really miss them.

Thanks for the input on the LEDs. My payment would not be too big since the Big Horn is paid for and never a loan on it, but still don't want to go in debt too much--senior citizen here with fixed income.

swarggs

Reaction score
I don't think they do but hope your correct and I am wrong if I should make this purchase.

I am 100% sure they all have it. I have a Laramie with the only option being LSD, TBC and Nav and it has the LED's. It's just not called "Premium LED Lighting Group" as it is on the Bighorn. It's listed as standard equipment:

LED Automatic Reflector Headlamps
Front LED Fog Lamps
LED Tail Lamps

Attachments

• WindowStickerPDF.pdf
    82.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Few points I see---

Hi L2D, agree totally, ya got to take that out of the equation IMMEDIATELY...lol i also told hubby ya can't calculate that as "added cost" since you would've been out that to begin with... GMTA : )
and lets not forget "trade in value" mine right now books out for 34,000 but with the extras on the newer one KBB pricing it as 36+, so there's another $2,000 to take off lol

DM-SC

Reaction score
OP, ya want what you want and it's your money so...

I haven't driven a non-led equipped truck so I can't compare the two. Other than to say they are nice to have.

As for the ASG, I wanted it on my truck. I had ACC, lane keep assist, collision mitigation braking on my last truck.

I couldn't find a truck within 250 miles of home that had it AND the Sport Package/Level 2 group.

To be honest, I don't miss the ACC at all. A few times a week it would apply the brakes in unnecessary situations. Drove me nuts!

The 360 view camera would be nice to have. Honestly, that's the only part of the ASG I think I'd get the most use from.

As much as I wanted the ASG, I find I don't really miss it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jtc411

Reaction score
Buy a bunch of red bull and stay alert and be your own advanced safety group. Can’t tell you how to spend your money but that just seems like a lot of money for one feature which really could be seen as a novelty.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Buy a bunch of red bull and stay alert and be your own advanced safety group. Can’t tell you how to spend your money but that just seems like a lot of money for one feature which really could be seen as a novelty.
I don't think they do but hope your correct and I am wrong if I should make this purchase.

Ding, ding, ding--you win!! I did some research and the Laramie comes with the reflective LEDs which is probably what I have on my Big Horn now. The Limited comes with the projective LED Thanks for the information.

Ding, ding, ding--you win!! I did some research and the Laramie comes with the reflective LEDs which is probably what I have on my Big Horn now. The Limited comes with the projective LED Thanks for the information.

PTRAM

Reaction score

I don't consider the the Advanced Safety Group a novelty as I have it on my 2017 Jeep Cherokee and it has been something I have learned to be necessary for me--but didn't think so when I purchased my Ram. I can live without it and I will if I can't get a decent deal, but would prefer to have it. I just didn't know how much I would miss it. Its what you get used too. It used to be all that I wanted in a new vehicle was cruise control and intermittent wind shield wipers--of course that was 50 years ago.

swarggs

Reaction score

Correct. Big Horns have standard halogen lamps with the option of the non projector LED headlamps. Laramies have standard non projector LED headlamps with no option to upgrade and the Limiteds & Laramie Longhorns get the bi-function LED projector headlamps.

Sorry for making it that much easier to spend a bunch of cash :)

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
....I attempted to purchase one from another local dealer about 2 years ago and my dealer was about 6000 dollars less than the other one. Of course the vehicle may not be available and I will have to continue my search.....

And one other thing to think about... You've lived WITHOUT the ASG for the past few months, so wait another 6 mos and you'll prolly find a used Laramie with at least an additional $3-4000 off.....And don't be stuck on ur current dealer just because a couple of years ago the other dealer gave you BAD numbers...

Chances are same Mgrs aren't still there, or might have stepped up their game to be more competitive. We will shop local dealers every 6 mos or so, just to see if they can hit us "low" even when they once were sky high, and have gotten GREAT deals from dealers we had just about "written off" : )

PTRAM

Reaction score
And one other thing to think about... You've lived WITHOUT the ASG for the past few months, so wait another 6 mos and you'll prolly find a used Laramie with at least an additional $3-4000 off.....And don't be stuck on ur current dealer just because a couple of years ago the other dealer gave you BAD numbers...

Chances are same Mgrs aren't still there, or might have stepped up their game to be more competitive. We will shop local dealers every 6 mos or so, just to see if they can hit us "low" even when they once were sky high, and have gotten GREAT deals from dealers we had just about "written off" : )
Thanks for the good advice. I have checked with two dealers and so far I am not even interested in trying to negotiate with them. I have thought about the ASG suggestion you posted and I was thinking about that myself but I have my own argument going here. I agree with you that I have lived with it until about 3 y ears ago and I did have two vehicles at the same time that had it for the last 2 years so I have become accustomed to it. Yesterday my wife was driving in heavy traffic on the Interstate and traffic was stopped when we came up on it. Some idiots don't leave their foot on the brake when the get stopped in heavy traffic and you don't always notice it till you upon them. I always leave my foot on the brake if I get stopped in heavy traffic and there is a clearing behind me before there will be another vehicle behind me--I actually make the brake light flash to let them know I am stopped. Not everybody does that. That is when your ASG would possible save you if you were not paying attention which is something that I know we all we never intend on doing, but it could happen. I think maybe they should make the brake lights so they come on when you are stopped and in Drive even if you take your foot off the brake.--Sorry-now back to the point of my post. Someone had said $10,000 would be too much to pay. Well, that is not even close to what they wanted---one wanted $16000 and my faithful dealer wanted 14000 dollars. (these were on $55,000-MSRP vehicles and my Big Horn was $50,000 MSRP. NO WAY am I going to get my ASG for that kind of money. That is plain ridiculous. Yeah, I know I am getting some other nice features but still not worth that much in my pocket book now. I am beginning to look at dealers to see if they do have a Limited used with low miles but of course there are not many traded in already but there are some. OK, thanks for the posts but unless a miracle happens I am just going to keep my Big Horn and enjoy it and be very careful as I always attempt to do anyhow. Oh, I might make my dealer try again to get rid of the very slight wind noise coming in on my ear when I am driving--not there on the passenger side--yeah, I know another off thread comment. Hope I am not in trouble--love this forum

Users who are viewing this thread