5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions on the upcoming EV Ram?

RandyMarionCDJR

King of Price
Reaction score
Rams new line of EV truck is finally taking shape. I really havent heard much from the community on this nor our customers. What is your opinion? Yeah, the truck looks awesome but do you think this is going to workout for the brand? What is your opinion on the look?

These are all concepts and none of the final design but I think many are going to be close.

Ram auto evolution.jpeg
Source: Autoevolution.com
Ram Car scoops.jpeg
Carscoops.com
Ram carbuzz.jpeg
Carbuzz.com

Ram Topelectric.jpeg
Topelectric.com

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of your pictures, the red one is the only one that I like. Personally, I think the Ram looks great in its current generation and don't need it to look like something out of Blade Runner. I also don't like the spartan interior look so many EVs are going for. I prefer my interior to look more like a ****pit and have physical buttons, switches, and knobs. The current Ram interior is great.

As for it being electric, as long as it has the range I need, I'm good with electric. But, at least two things would need to happen infrastructure-wise for me to switch. First, there need to be plenty of chargers that you can use while towing a camper and second, they'd have to have chargers at rest areas. Ideally, they'd have pull-through, tow-friendly chargers at rest areas. I'd like to see 300 miles of range while towing at a minimum. I can accept having less than my current 900+ mile (non-towing) interstate range since I can recharge overnight. And I can't go 900 miles without some sort of break.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
the renderings are a joke. looks like someone meshed the GMC Hummer, Silverado EV with a Ram front grille. try harder.

All Ram needs to do is take the current truck as it is, and make it equiped with available battery options that provide 400, 500, 600 miles of driving capacity. Then if they want to step it up, make a real G/T version that focuses on a more street version with lower profile and 0-60 times that beats any other trucks best 0-60. add electric generator like Ford in all variants. done.

teamroper60

Reaction score
As it stands now, there isnt enough range to make an EV pickup a viable option, especially range while towing. Further, reported charging times for a full charge are way too long. It takes minutes to fill up an ICE pickup but takes hours to fully recharge an EV. Im not interested in turning a trip that now takes a few hours, into a multi-day ordeal to reach my destination. Until the technology improves, I dont care what it looks like.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
We're nowhere near to being ready for this huge EV push. So many things need to happen before this can be sustained. I don't have a problem with slowly moving in that direction, but things are moving too quickly IMO. Depending on how it's implimented, I might be interested in a true plug-in hybrid, as long as power and capability don't suffer. But I have zero interest in a fully electric truck at this time.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Echoing what others have said, I like the design of the red truck the best of these designs, but electric trucks don’t need to scream “look at me, I’m an electric truck!” Ram has long been a design leader; let them do their thing.

Echoing Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares, electric vehicles are being pushed by politicians, not automakers or consumers. Hybrids make sense. All electric vehicles do not, and may never make sense.

Ford could make 87 F-150 Hybrids for every one Lightning, based on battery capacity (1.5 kWh vs 131 kWh). Taking the EPA numbers at face value, assuming 12,000 annual miles, and comparing the hybrid to 3.5 Ecoboost, 87 hybrids F-150s save 8,700 gallons of gas a year. One Lightning would save 600 gallons. Even if the electricity to recharge the Lightning was 100% carbon free, that’s still a drastically lower reduction.

Why do I make such a comparison? Because battery capacity is THE major limiting factor in the number of BEVs that can be produced each year. The batteries are the biggest contributor to the cost of BEVs, putting them out of reach of many customers.

If reduced carbon emissions is the goal, we’d be far better off making many hybrids and no electric vehicles.

In short, BEVs are not good for the environment. Far more gas savings could be achieved by making every vehicle a hybrid (mild to PHEV) than making a few electric vehicles for relatively few, relatively wealthy families.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not making any kind of political statement with this post, just providing information of what's already happening regarding EV's vs non-EV's. Hopefully the rest of the country won't follow in WA state's footprints. I'm glad I'm retiring within the next couple years so I can move to a state that isn't so weird...

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not making any kind of political statement with this post, just providing information of what's already happening regarding EV's vs non-EV's. Hopefully the rest of the country won't follow in WA state's footprints. I'm glad I'm retiring within the next couple years so I can move to a state that isn't so weird...
Unbelievably stupid. I predict a huge influx of Washington refugee's in 2029. Idaho needs to start building a wall, right now. :mad:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Rams new line of EV truck is finally taking shape. I really havent heard much from the community on this nor our customers. What is your opinion? Yeah, the truck looks awesome but do you think this is going to workout for the brand? What is your opinion on the look?

These are all concepts and none of the final design but I think many are going to be close.

View attachment 124954
Source: Autoevolution.com
View attachment 124955
Carscoops.com
View attachment 124956
Carbuzz.com

View attachment 124957
Topelectric.com
until the final design is released they all look like crap

I would not own an electric truck even if it was given to me for free.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
california is trying this crap
hopefuly someone is going to do a petition to stop it.

ChrisID

Reaction score
^^^ this right here.

I need a legitimate 300 mile range towing with a 15 minute recharge time
Not going to get even close to that for a long time, if ever. Current Ford lightning empty range is 230 to 300 depending on model. Truck weighs 6000lbs +/- (wow). Car and Driver is estimating the towing range at under 100 miles. I am estimating it more like 80 miles if you need to climb any hills, like in half the country.
There is going to be a lot of disappointed EV truck owners soon.
Gas/diesel is a magic juice and is abiotic that was created by the sun and is a renewable. Everything we see is created by the sun. Everything else is a lie, on purpose.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will take a truck that looks like any one of those renderings - as long as it is not downsized from the 1500's current size. I would also like them to put in a gear tunnel like the Rivian has.

Last edited:

puba08

Reaction score
No to any EV. No to this ridiculous green agenda. Give me a 392 in a 1500 that also isn’t ridiculously overpriced or made into a street truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread