5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One click access to backup camera from home screen?

nimbus

Reaction score
I recently traded my 2020 for a 2022. In my 2020 with UConnect 4, I was able to drag the backup camera icon to the bottom menu bar so I could access it anytime. It doesn't look like this is possible with UConnect 5. Is there any way I can get my backup camera to appear more quickly than having to go to Vehicle > Controls > Rear View Camera every time?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know of a way either, but hopefully someone knows. I press that sequence of buttons a few times a day.

Whitty37

Reaction score
Yep...I have my rear camera shortcut up top beside my profile icon. Nice that you can touch it while driving and it gives 10 seconds or so of the rear camera view.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I recently traded my 2020 for a 2022. In my 2020 with UConnect 4, I was able to drag the backup camera icon to the bottom menu bar so I could access it anytime. It doesn't look like this is possible with UConnect 5. Is there any way I can get my backup camera to appear more quickly than having to go to Vehicle > Controls > Rear View Camera every time?
If your dealer didn't provide you with a hard copy of the Uconnect 5 manual you can download a PDF version from RAM. It is an interesting read that talks about the numerous settings available on the new version 5 system. Look under the section titled "Customizable Menu Bars".
Ya, I know, no one wants to hear about the owners' manual let alone reading it but it may just be worth it this time around.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Old thread i know, sorry !
Is there any way to make the backup camera picture bigger on the new 5 system ?

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Yeah, there is a button to switch it to the 1/2 screen view of the backup camera without the surround view. I wish you could change the default camera used when reversing. I don't need, nor want, the surround view unless I choose it. I much much rather have the 1/2 screen view, but without having to hit the screen every time to get it.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Yeah, there is a button to switch it to the 1/2 screen view of the backup camera without the surround view. I wish you could change the default camera used when reversing. I don't need, nor want, the surround view unless I choose it. I much much rather have the 1/2 screen view, but without having to hit the screen every time to get it.
im with you on this. where is the "button" you refer to ? Maybe it could be moved to an area for quick access ?

Last edited:

SShadow1974

Reaction score
im with you on this. where is the "button" you refer to ? Maybe it could be moved to an area for quick access ?
When you shift into reverse, the camera comes up and there are multiple buttons for different camera views, I think it's the 2nd to last one in the row.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I learned something new today! I had no clue the menu bar was customizable. I always wished there was a way to turn on the surround cameras without multiple clicks!

Last edited:

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
That's how I make sure I'm in the garage.
Thanks for this, youve given me an idea. My new truck only just fits in the garage - it must be about 6" longer than my 14 was. Im going to draw a line on the floor and pull forward until the rear view camera sees the line. That should work !
Thanks again !

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
This video is only a few weeks old, so its current with software. The guy is very good, quick and smart, which means im pausing, backing up and replaying it a lot :)
He covers about everything and i learned a great deal !

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Yep...I have my rear camera shortcut up top beside my profile icon. Nice that you can touch it while driving and it gives 10 seconds or so of the rear camera view.
This is what i want to do, but the status bar shortcut page that pops up when you hit the two lines below the clock in the status bar (in my 24 it is an arrow instead of two lines) only has the surround camera as a choice. I want the full "Rear" camera. So how do i populate this "status bar shortcut page".
And, before anyone says it, i cannot find this in the manual !

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is what i want to do, but the status bar shortcut page that pops up when you hit the two lines below the clock in the status bar (in my 24 it is an arrow instead of two lines) only has the surround camera as a choice. I want the full "Rear" camera. So how do i populate this "status bar shortcut page".
And, before anyone says it, i cannot find this in the manual !
The arrow vs 2 lines is just the firmware version.
Firmwares from 2023 and above have the arrow, 2022 has 2 lines.

You can't set the rear camera on the shortcut page because you have 360 degree cameras.
Even if you found the manual it is not linked to your trim or options so it's a good guide, but doesn't handle every option you can have on a Limited or a optioned Laramie.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for this, youve given me an idea. My new truck only just fits in the garage - it must be about 6" longer than my 14 was. Im going to draw a line on the floor and pull forward until the rear view camera sees the line. That should work !
Thanks again !
My garage door creates a "line" on the concrete that I use when pulling in. With the TazerDT, I have the option enabled to automatically bring up the back up camera when park sensors(front or rear) alert to an object. So I don't have to hit any buttons to get the camera on

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My garage door creates a "line" on the concrete that I use when pulling in. With the TazerDT, I have the option enabled to automatically bring up the back up camera when park sensors(front or rear) alert to an object. So I don't have to hit any buttons to get the camera on
Doesn't work on my 2022 last time I checked a few months ago.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
The arrow vs 2 lines is just the firmware version.
Firmwares from 2023 and above have the arrow, 2022 has 2 lines.

You can't set the rear camera on the shortcut page because you have 360 degree cameras.
Even if you found the manual it is not linked to your trim or options so it's a good guide, but doesn't handle every option you can have on a Limited or a optioned Laramie.
Huh ... ok, thanks Dark. Man, All i want is a nice big rear cam picture and to have it easily accessible - too much to ask i guess.
This Tazer DT that HSKR is talking about seems to maybe allow more programming ability ?

Users who are viewing this thread