5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On Board Air Compressors

daberk

Reaction score
I'm looking for an air compressor to carry in the back of the truck to refill my tires after airing down for off-roading. I've read that the ones connecting directly to the truck battery terminals work better than the ones that plug into a cigarette lighter outlet. What do you think are the best models?

steveo436

Reaction score
R

Rob5589

Viair is well known and used in off road. I use the 300p, works awesome, fairly quick for tires up to about 33, plenty of duty cycle, relatively quiet. Viair makes a ton of product and has a great website to point you in the right direction.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned the cheapest wallyworld compressors to some pretty pricey viair units used for air suspension systems and they all inevitably die from wear/use/elements over time...

What's surprised me for the price is this harbor freight unit that you can buy the lifetime warranty on - https://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/12238/

Edit that: for the same price, you can go branded and likely buy an amazon warranty

w/a lifetime bring-it-back-when-you-break-it warranty it's the best bang for the buck for sure. use it till it dies unlike $200+ models from viair/arb etc.

and if you trust name brands, look up the parts diagrams compared to HF or non-branded units; nearly identical interchangable parts (i know, I've rebuilt at least half a dozen)

Good luck on the trail!

Last edited:
R

Rob5589

Interesting. I have wheeled with a bunch of people for years using Viair and cannot recall one failure. Not to say it can't happen but, in this "complain about everything online" world we live in, you would definitely hear about it if it was common.

mrbuck

Reaction score
Viair 88P is what I carry under back seat,had the cheap ones over the yrs,got one of these and never looked back, Good for up to 33" tires and doesnt take long to air one up,also great for girlfriends leaky lawn tractor tires too.

pjz

Reaction score
I have both the Viair 400p and ARB twin that I use with the Jeep JK. Both are excellent, but the ARB is better IMHO. If you are willing to hard mount and wire with appropriate size wire you really can't beat the speed of the ARB compressor. However, if you are only going to use it occasionally and want to use it in more than one vehicle I would go VIAIR. I extended the length of the hook up leads and wired a quick connect for the VIAIR prior to getting the ARB. Have the VIAIR in the back of the RAM now, but most likely will hard wire in an ARB and tank when I sell the JK. The VIAIR is also much better bang for your buck.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone who's installed their compressor under the bed - have you also installed a tank? Can anyone share photos etc? I have a few tanks lying around, 3 & 5 Gallon, debating whether to install at all or if a reservoir is even needed

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mounted a York 210 onto my 2008 Big Horn's Hemi Engine. I had a Viair 480C
on it at first. To fill my 2 Tanks (9 Gal) from 0psi to 200psi would take 23 minutes.
With the York at Idle it would do the same in 3 minutes. I also have tool ports
under the hood and in the bed tool box to run air tools. The Aluminum Air Tanks
are mounted to the frame rail on each side of the truck.

I picked up the York at a U-Pick auto parts place from a '73 Mercedes and paid
$37 for it. Yorks were found on many '75-'85 vehicles. You can also find them
on Ebay, but at a much higher price. Bought the hybrid Alternator pulley online.
I designed the brackets and had them cut out by a 1400 Watt Laser.

I need to workout the bracket design for my 2021 Ecodiesel when I get the truck.
It is going to be a chore because of all the hoses and the serpentine belt being buried.

Malodave

Attachments

• NathanAirchimeK5LA.jpg
    NathanAirchimeK5LA.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 259
  • RAM-YorkMount1.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 204
  • RAM-YorkMount2.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 191
  • RAM-YorkMount3 - Copy.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount3 - Copy.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 217
  • RAM-YorkMount4.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 211
  • RAM-YorkMount5.jpg
    RAM-YorkMount5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found this Sanden SD7H15 Clone for Short Money ($95 w/free Shipping.) I will be converting it
to just compress air and designing a Bracket to mount it onto my Ecodiesel. I will also
make a Hybrid idler pulley for the V=Belt.

Malodave

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found this Sanden SD7H15 Clone for Short Money ($95 w/free Shipping.) I will be converting it
to just compress air and designing a Bracket to mount it onto my Ecodiesel. I will also
make a Hybrid idler pulley for the V=Belt.

Malodave

I'd like to see that build @Malodave - def start a build thread when you do - I've seen this done on Jeeps and planned it for one of my builds that ran air suspension

What does it take to have it compress air? (external lubrication needed?) or have you considered a oil free compressor like this one?

If I used air constantly I'd consider it on my Rebel, but might still do it on my air ride fun car

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd like to see that build @Malodave - def start a build thread when you do - I've seen this done on Jeeps and planned it for one of my builds that ran air suspension

What does it take to have it compress air? (external lubrication needed?) or have you considered a oil free compressor like this one?

If I used air constantly I'd consider it on my Rebel, but might still do it on my air ride fun car

I used a Viair 480C on my 2008 5.7L Hemi Ram. It took 23 minutes to fill my 9 Gallon
dual air tanks from 0 psi to 200 psi. I used a York 210 mounted on the Hemi Engine. The
York would do the same in 3 minutes at idle. It is a little harder finding the Yorks because
they are so old.

For the Sanden 709 / SD7H15 models you open up the unit and put some good grease in
all the Internal Bearings. Since I will be using it more than the Off Road guys , I nay
have to re-grease it every year.

The Sanden is ordered and I should receive it before the end of the year. Designiing the
Brackets will have to wait until Spring. I will replace the Nathans on the 2008 with the
original Shockers from Hornblasters.com. Then move the Nathans over to my 2021
Laramie.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread