5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK nerds: Rebel spare tire question

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
What's the best practice for putting on the spare for stock Rebels?

The situation: Had my first flat in the woods this weekend. Still running stock tires and wheels, so yes, the Falken is 1" smaller than my other 3 DuraTracs. I got a flat tire on my driver's side rear wheel. I was towing my trailer, and driving off-road in 4WD High (no locker). So where should I put the smaller spare?

In my Subaru AWD, it basically says in the manual, "we're stupid and gave you a smaller donut spare and have the tightest tolerance AWD in the industry, so we don't really recommend you drive with the spare at all; just pull over to the side of the road and pout until someone comes along with a new car for you." It does, however, say to put the donut on the rear. But after the one time I had to drive 80 miles on the interstate on a holiday weekend on the donut, I went and got a full-size spare for all my off-road exploration adventures. Problem solved.

I looked in the Rebel manual, and admittedly it was hot and I was just eager to get back up and running again, but I didn't see anything specific on whether the tire should go on the front or rear. In 2WD front drive cars (like sedans), I get that it would be prudent to put the spare on the rear so it doesn't affect power or handling. On AWD, again, it makes sense to put it on the rear so handling isn't affected. But in the Rebel, with 4WD, rear makes sense, but once you're back in 2WD and on pavement, now you've got mismatched sizes on the drive axle.

So what would the truck geeks in here say: smaller spare on the front, knowing it's still a real 32" A/T tire, or put it on the rear with no locker and save the best handling for turns up front? FWIW, I left it on the rear, because it was easiest. :)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How did Ram not include a matching size tire?

But I would definitely put it on the front if it were me, and try to stay in 2wd unless absolutely necessary. Which most of the time people use 4wd, it's not absolutely necessary

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It shouldn’t matter if you stay in 2wd with the rear diff unlocked, personally I would put it wherever the flat was and get to a tire shop right away.

I haven’t used my spare yet, but I’d imagine the traction control system wouldn’t like the different sized tires much, even if they are close to the same size.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It shouldn’t matter if you stay in 2wd with the rear diff unlocked, personally I would put it wherever the flat was and get to a tire shop right away.

I haven’t used my spare yet, but I’d imagine the traction control system wouldn’t like the different sized tires much, even if they are close to the same size.
Rear diff doesn't stay locked above ,25moh, and if he has limited slip, it's bad in the clutches. Best bet, throw it in the front and use 2wd.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"If he has limited slip, it's bad in the clutches." What does that mean?
If the wheels are rotating at different speeds the clutches will continuously wear against each other causing them to heat up and or fail prematurely.

AFAIK rebels only have the electric locking rear diff and not the limited slip that is found in other models.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"If he has limited slip, it's bad in the clutches." What does that mean?
Limited slip differential uses clutches to transfer power to the wheels. If you have different size tires on the rear it will wear out the clutches and cause the limited slip to fail when you need it

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
What I'm reading above is that I have either LSD or an e-locker. Is that accurate? I'm gonna go do some googling on LSD. After typing that, I might get some varied results. If I'm not back on the forum tomorrow, it's because I'm high as a kite. :) Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I'm reading above is that I have either LSD or an e-locker. Is that accurate? I'm gonna go do some googling on LSD. After typing that, I might get some varied results. If I'm not back on the forum tomorrow, it's because I'm high as a kite. :) Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
If you have an axle lock button by the shifter you’ve got the electronic locking rear differential. In it’s unlocked state it functions as an open differential, allowing the rear wheels to spin at different speeds.

There are several different types of LSD, but in the simplest clutch type limited slip the rear axles are “connected” by a set of spring loaded clutches that allow some slip between them while turning. The pressure of the springs combined with the clutches vary depending on brand, but they won’t truly “lock up” like an electric locker does. With one wheel on pavement and on on gravel you’ll get more wheel spin on the gravel while some power is transferred through the clutches to the wheel with traction.

In an open differential all of your power will go to the wheel with the least amount of traction, and the other wheel will pretty much just sit there doing nothing.

There’s so many different ways of splitting power between two wheels on the same axle it would take several posts to explain them all.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have an axle lock button by the shifter you’ve got the electronic locking rear differential. In it’s unlocked state it functions as an open differential, allowing the rear wheels to spin at different speeds.

There are several different types of LSD, but in the simplest clutch type limited slip the rear axles are “connected” by a set of spring loaded clutches that allow some slip between them while turning. The pressure of the springs combined with the clutches vary depending on brand, but they won’t truly “lock up” like an electric locker does. With one wheel on pavement and on on gravel you’ll get more wheel spin on the gravel while some power is transferred through the clutches to the wheel with traction.

In an open differential all of your power will go to the wheel with the least amount of traction, and the other wheel will pretty much just sit there doing nothing.

There’s so many different ways of splitting power between two wheels on the same axle it would take several posts to explain them all.
Ram/Dodge limited slip is through clutch packs. It real complicated, you pretty much covered it. No reason to go into anything else.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a rebel then you have open diffs front and back, effectively, as long as you don’t press the axle lock button.

If the computer barks at you disable traction control.

So put it wherever it is needed and get thy rump to ye olde tyre shoppe whenever.

Edit: can’t say the old timey word for hind quarters I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread